Author Topic: Water Filtration - Sawyer Mini or LifeStraw Go ??  (Read 5169 times)

buntonn

Trying to decide which to order out of the Sawyer Mini and the LifeStraw Go.

Anyone used both of have a view on this?

Thanks
Desperately trying to escape and venture in the wild outdoors...

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: Water Filtration - Sawyer Mini or LifeStraw Go ??
« Reply #1 on: 15:39:16, 19/05/17 »
The lifestraw looks like a one hit wonder, fill the bottle and filter, but I've not read all the info :-\
Sawyer mini connects to any size bottle with a standard screw thread, or any size bladder,
We use small bladders about 69p from home bargain type stores and they outlasted the crappy sawyer bladder 10 times longer, while we are walking,
Then while pitching the tent we connect a  3l bladder of river water etc. And let it filter with gravity that way it saves all the work of manually squeezing it, then by the time the tent is set up we have clean water
Job done
It's a no brainier for me
Beefy😎
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

buntonn

« Reply #2 on: 15:45:38, 19/05/17 »
Ok that sounds great for the Sawyer, also nice tip on the bags  O0   Now my only question is any bad taste with the Sawyer as it has no carbon filter as far as I understand? Maybe that's not something we need here in the UK

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:55:41, 19/05/17 »
Most of the water in the lakes probably would be ok without filtering, as long as its from a mountain beck, however I've been really ill in the past from unfiltered water, so now just filter it all just to be safe  O0
Carbon filters remove chemicals which regular filter can't, but as long as you don't drink water from near farms, or any other source of contamination you should be ok,
Me and April even drank water from a ditch with a dead sheep and didn't get ill with the sawyer, and having the ability to back flush with the provided syringe, it cleans the filter and it will last a long time
We've had ours for about 2 years now, and use them every weekend  8)
Don't let it freeze tho in winter

buntonn

« Reply #4 on: 15:57:32, 19/05/17 »
Thanks, added to basket  8)

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:03:45, 19/05/17 »
Thanks, added to basket  8)
Another thing
Don't lose the rubber seal in the end because you can't buy replacement ones, it can fall off the filter, when not screwed to anything, although I do have a "fix" for this if ya do  ;)
I did a video I'll try dig it out for ya

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:12:32, 19/05/17 »
Here it is
https://youtu.be/y81g0oFe1BI

It makes a nice change to actually get a reply and thank you from someone O0
We get new members coming on the forum now and then asking questions, you go into great detail and spend lots of time replying, then they never post again,
This makes me and many others reluctant to reply,
Have a great trip and let us know how ya go on with your filter,
Would be good to see s trip report from ya GoPro
ATB beefy😎

buntonn

« Reply #7 on: 16:44:22, 19/05/17 »
Great little video tip there!!  I am going to go shortly local where there is a Home Bargains and B&M next door to each other and look for the water bags you mention above and I'll look for some 'O' rings a the same time, I like the idea of using that anyway to stop water dripping and also preventing the rubber seal going walkabout.

Yeah I know what you mean, It's like when you wait for someone to pass by or hold a door for someone and they can't even say 'thank you', manners cost nothing but go a long way in my book, it was how I was brought up and it's how I am bring up my kids too.

Thanks for your help, can get myself sorted now and I will definitely do the best trip report I can and feedback on it would be great for the next one.

Nick

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:50:17, 19/05/17 »
The lifestraw looks like a one hit wonder, fill the bottle and filter, but I've not read all the info :-\
Sawyer mini connects to any size bottle with a standard screw thread, or any size bladder,
We use small bladders about 69p from home bargain type stores and they outlasted the crappy sawyer bladder 10 times longer, while we are walking,
Then while pitching the tent we connect a  3l bladder of river water etc. And let it filter with gravity that way it saves all the work of manually squeezing it, then by the time the tent is set up we have clean water
Job done
It's a no brainier for me
Beefy😎

Lol I've had a Sawyer Mini for about a year now and never even THOUGHT to hang it and let it gravity filter - DOH! I'm off to check it out in the kitchen:-)

PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

buntonn

« Reply #9 on: 16:56:26, 19/05/17 »

Lol I've had a Sawyer Mini for about a year now and never even THOUGHT to hang it and let it gravity filter - DOH! I'm off to check it out in the kitchen:-)

Yeah that point was duly noted and put into my back pocket!!  You can use your test water for a brew after  :D

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:11:43, 19/05/17 »

;D  I'm a goldmine of information I should start charging for mountain man training  :D
Look what a good job I did with April  :2funny:
We have a carabiner on the tent to hang the bladder on if there's no slopes around, and I hang the small ones on my pack to filter as I'm walking  8)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:57:39, 19/05/17 »
Look what a good job I did with April  :2funny:

:o He knows nowt. I'm the brains of this operation  :D
Hate will never win

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:26:56, 19/05/17 »
Now my only question is any bad taste with the Sawyer as it has no carbon filter as far as I understand?

Bit late now the OP has made his mind up, but for the benefit of anyone else intrested in this thread I'll point out that I use a Steripen which does no more than make water safe with UV. It doesn't have a carbon filter, just an optional particles filter and I don't always use that. Water from streams and lakes tastes just fine after treatment, sometimes a little peaty maybe, but overall it's a darn sight nicer than the chlorinated stuff that comes out of a tap.

buntonn

« Reply #13 on: 20:48:40, 19/05/17 »
Thanks for the info on the Steripen   O0

quixoticgeek

« Reply #14 on: 02:49:57, 20/05/17 »

I'm a big fan of the Sawyer. I really like mine. I've rigged it up as a gravity setup, which is great when in camp.

J
--
Http://b.42q.eu/ - Beer, Bikes and Backpacking.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy