Author Topic: Tent Choice  (Read 3844 times)

Little Foot

Tent Choice
« on: 09:58:17, 31/01/20 »
Hi all.

I've recently discovered a love for walking and want to try doing LDWs. As I'm starting out I need to get a bit of kit. I have a few things to buy and I am not lucky enough to be able to buy the best of everything so have to cut costs. I have some of the basics but I'd like to camp, so I'm looking for a tent for myself (a short and tubby woman) and my 12 year old son (short and skinny). I reckon a 2 man tent will be ok, and maybe switch to bigger if he grows a lot and wants to continue. I can then use this as a 1 man tent on solo trips.

I want the tent to be light as I will be carrying most of the load at the moment (lad weighs less than 5st) and I'd want to have enough room to sit up in. I also want it to be easy to put up. I've been looking at the Naturehike Cloud Up 2. AliExpress have it for £85. I've also been looking at the Wild Country Zephyros 2 which is £109 at Winfields.

Anyone have any opinions on these please, or others?
The Naturehike weighs 1.7, the Wild Country is 1.9. I wouldn't want to go above those weights really.

Thanks for looking.

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: Tent Choice
« Reply #1 on: 12:24:28, 31/01/20 »
As always light weight means expensive,
The zephyros tents are ok, we've had 3 of them, although they don't have much head room. Only in the apex.
If you check April's older trip reports you will see we do a lot of wild camping :)
We moved on to msr elixir, and hubba hubba now, they are great for headroom,  weight and we like them a lot,
However more expensive of course.
The nature hike version of the msr is cheap, some people on here have them,
I don't know how storm worthy they are though,
We ve had the msr in some bad lake district storms and it's been good,
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:52:07, 31/01/20 »
Have a look at the Vango range of 2 person tents. They are generally affordable for decent enough wuality and not too heavy.
It's all uphill from here.

Patrick1

« Reply #3 on: 13:35:11, 31/01/20 »
Pyramid designs can be good for giving a high space to weight ratio. Particularly if you use walking poles, as these can double as the tent pole at night. Just a quick search on Aliexpress brought up, for example, this one from Asta - I don't have any particular experience of this model, but I have found this general style of design good. This particular one seems to come in at 1.4kg for two people (if you don't use walking poles you'd need to add, say, 300g to that for a collapsible aluminium pole) and looks very reasonably priced (note the outer and the inner are ordered separately for the particular one I've linked to, but taking the cheapest two person options seems to end up under £90 for both).
« Last Edit: 13:41:45, 31/01/20 by Patrick1 »

Little Foot

« Reply #4 on: 14:43:39, 31/01/20 »
Appreciate the suggestions all. I've just been to Winfields and looked at the Zephyros 2 and it actually seemed ok. I liked the side entrance because I could just drop into the tent, whereas the front porch entrance, you are more having to crawl into it, which isn't good when it is muddy, but maybe that's just my awful technique lol. Having a lack of porch does mean less space for kit/shelter for cooking so that is something for me to consider. Being a short sod though, I could sit up fine and felt there would be enough room for my son too.

I've looked at Vango, and they were a bit too heavy, mainly. If my son could carry half then I'd definitely consider it.

The Alpkit Ordos 2 looks a nice tent, but it is sold out, and is slightly over my budget, but maybe I should wait those few months to get what is right rather than what is cheap. Hmmm

Patrick, I did see a nice pyramid tent on AliExpress but can't remember the name now to show you. Think I saw it mentioned on another forum. Will try find it.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:48:35, 31/01/20 »
Hi all.

Anyone have any opinions on these please, or others?
The Naturehike weighs 1.7, the Wild Country is 1.9. I wouldn't want to go above those weights really.

Thanks for looking.

My NatureHike Cloud 2 actually weighs in at 1.643Kgs and is a 'good' quality tent, It is not really a tent you can sit up in and really is just a large 1-man tent. I found it awkward to wriggle into having to kneel onto wet ground to be able to slither in (I don't really do slithering). It is now a JIC (Just in case spare)

I have now gone over to the Chinese copy of the MSR Hubba-Hubba tent which I managed to find for £75 (MSR price £300). This is a 2-man tent and 2 people can sit up in it. Prices now around the £100 mark.
Several 'trade names' offer the same tent (I think Mongar is one of them) and they can be found on Ebay and Ali-Express.
Excellent quality with taped seams and quality zips.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/233343986493?chn=ps&var=532886397904&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=532886397904_233343986493&targetid=856210368159&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9046218&campaignid=7643169336&mkgroupid=89224635500&rlsatarget=aud-629407026465:pla-856210368159&abcId=1139576&merchantid=113579048&gclid=Cj0KCQiAvc_xBRCYARIsAC5QT9n6fs5_E3NRI8ClsqCNBmQqSoaxR8LdgWAAL27iepJaEmtO1_xEhN4aApObEALw_wcB

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/msr-hubba-hubba-nx-2-tent-D1312362.html?channable=e65395.NzgxNDhfOTg&colour=98&gclid=Cj0KCQiAvc_xBRCYARIsAC5QT9nQrGrEgZZDyXCk0J9qOG_qNYnN44kAVb5k-I21_EnaCiPwU2e6HAMaAs7nEALw_wcB

My Hubba Hubba copy weighs in (complete) at 2.20 kgs (inc bigger pegs, spare guy lines, repair kit for material and poles, peg pusher, footprint, and extra toggles)
It is well worth the extra 700 gram (just over 1lb)  for the extra height and space and 2-porches. ease of access both sides (each side has its own door - no scrambling over each other during the night)

Edit to add :

What you will find with many tent manufacturers is that they are economical with truth when it comes to "weights", many will exclude things like pegs, or guy lines. Look for the all-inclusive weights.

Secondly the tent pegs are often quite short at 150mm (to keep the weight down) but these can be a problem in softer ground so the 1st thing I do is upgrade to 180mm or 200mm (or a mix) so the tent will stand up a bit better in less than ideal conditions.

Thirdly - It is a good idea to get a 'footprint' whish is like a sort of groundsheet to go under the groundsheet, lightweight tents have now become quite fragile and a small stick, even a thistle, can penetrate the tent groundsheet, adding another ground sheet under the groundsheet adds weight but will do more to stop leaks and wetting your bedding. The NatureHikes generally come with a 'footprint' (or what they call a 'mat'), other manufacturers can charge £20-£50 extra for the footprint.
« Last Edit: 15:04:50, 31/01/20 by alan de enfield »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:30:45, 31/01/20 »
I have a Zephyros One, as Beefy says, not much headroom, just at the apex but nevertheless I think its a 'good enough' tent. I use it in the colder months, the inner tent is a kind of cloth I think and it works well. Oh yes, for me always a side entrance tent!

I also have a Marmot Pulsar One, loads of headroom and width as well, I can slide back and forth for about a foot and still stay upright. I've never found a tent to better it yet. Its a mesh inner to better for the warmer months. On a couple of rainy mornings, I've even been able to pack my rucksack whilst inside the tent, I don't think I could do that in my Zephros One.

Naturehike seems to be making a copy of it now but it's in White only. I would seriously consider one if it was a different colour.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:39:05, 31/01/20 »
I liked the side entrance because I could just drop into the tent, whereas the front porch entrance, you are more having to crawl into it, which isn't good when it is muddy, but maybe that's just my awful technique lol. Having a lack of porch does mean less space for kit/shelter for cooking so that is something for me to consider.

You take your muddy boots off before you get in an end-entrance tent! In practice, you sit in the entrance with your feet out of the inner tent, and you only actually get down into the inner when you go to kip.
Sometimes at the end of a day I get my side-entrance Zephyros pitched in plenty of time, and I'm so cream crackered that I then lay down in it and catnap for 30 or 45 minutes - but I keep my feet in boots outside of the inner tent!

Having had an end-entrance tent for many years and now a side-entrance one, I much prefer the current one. It is far more versatile: you can get at things in the inner tent with ease, and if it is symetrical like mine you can sleep with your head at either end. I've modified it so I can prop the open flysheet up on a walking pole, which gives me a bigger window on the world than the end-entrance one did. To date I have remained dry with it open like this, even in heavy rain, but it must be pitched correctly with the back to the wind, unlike an end-entrance tent which you pitch tail end to the wind.

A porch is useful for somewhere to put all your bits and bobs such as cooking equipment and food at night, you don't want to be rolling around in your sleeping bag on things in your inner tent. My wet boots stay in the porch too, and with care my empty backpack just fits at one end of it.
« Last Edit: 16:50:32, 31/01/20 by fernman »

Little Foot

« Reply #8 on: 18:09:30, 31/01/20 »
Annoyed with myself! Decided to check prices and googled for the Zephyros 2 Compact. Spotted a price for it of £100 on Wiggle. They did a new customer offer of £10 off, so £90, bargain. Ordered then realised it wasn't the compact version.

It's nearly 60cm long! It's 57 x 14, so twice as long packed compared to the compact which is 30 x 18. I realised my error right away, and I mean within two minutes. Went to cancel, but it is saying it has already been picked and is on its way, despite the status of the order saying 'not been processed'. I've contacted them but no idea if they will agree to refund.

I could kick myself!

WILDWALKINGUK

« Reply #9 on: 18:44:01, 31/01/20 »
I like the Terra Nova Laser Competition 1 and 2 for value for money and how well they handle condensation. I've reviewed a number of tents here: https://wildwalkinguk.com/2020/01/06/tent-review-nordisk-telemark-1-and-2-terra-nova-competition-1-photon-and-laser-pulse/
In addition to those tents I'm currently testing the new Lightwave S10 Sigma tent to review shortly. possibly a little expensive but you may find the 'old' Lightwave S10 Sigma cheaper as they've recently renamed it the S15 and it's probably suitable for 2 people as it's larger than the new one. They still make it, now calling it the S15, possibly a good choice if you're looking for a 4 season tent.
I find the smaller and lighter weight tents you go for, the bigger the condensation problems I have. Not an issue on single nights out but becomes an issue after multi night trips.
Hope that helps and best of luck with sorting your order.

Little Foot

« Reply #10 on: 19:28:18, 31/01/20 »
Looks a good website Wildwalkinguk. Will look it over now as it seems very informative. Hopefully I won't be lumbered with this large-pack tent so will be open for choice again soon.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:45:44, 31/01/20 »
What you will find with many tent manufacturers is that they are economical with truth when it comes to "weights", many will exclude things like pegs, or guy lines. Look for the all-inclusive weights.

I used to think the same many years ago, but I switched over to favouring the trail-weight without bags and pegs, the reason being that experienced backpackers will rarely use the supplied pegs anyway and will always take their own selection. Actually many manufacturers now quote both the trail-weight and fully packed weight with supplied pegs etc.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:25:34, 31/01/20 »
I used to think the same many years ago, but I switched over to favouring the trail-weight without bags and pegs, the reason being that experienced backpackers will rarely use the supplied pegs anyway and will always take their own selection. Actually many manufacturers now quote both the trail-weight and fully packed weight with supplied pegs etc.

I could never understand the term 'trail weight' as if you would take the tent 'on the trail' without pegs, poles, guy-lines etc.

I have noticed that the Chinese copies tend to be quite detailed and give you the weight of each item so you can add up whatever you plan to use.

Example for the Naturehike Mongar Ultralight 2 Person Tent.

Used as a freestanding tent it is very simple at the same time. Light weight material and rationale structure lead to suitable Pack Weight.

Balance the stability, comfort and weight. More space, enough for 2 people. It can resist the wind in all directions. Good ventilation, 2 air vents on the both side of the outer tent Those Elevated weight in return for stability, comfort and confidence. Use It can work in most cases.

Car Camping, Hiking and Mountaineering.

Product Dimensions Tent Size: Full (70 + 135 + 70) x210 cm. Height at the highest point 105 cm.

Inner Size (Height x Width x Depth): 210 * 135 cm

Tent Weight list Outer tent: 624g Tent Interior: 539g Pins: 594g Plug and rope: 84 g Mat: 249g

« Last Edit: 20:32:14, 31/01/20 by alan de enfield »

Little Foot

« Reply #13 on: 20:31:54, 31/01/20 »
Yes, I was a bit confused over the weights, wondering what the difference was with 'trail weight', or why they'd put a weight without accessories like pegs and ropes. Guess it is in case you want to change them for your own perhaps?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:13:23, 31/01/20 »
Hi Littlefoot. Wiggle are pretty good on returns, I believe, so I wouldn't worry too much about ordering the wrong tent.

In your position I would be tempted to go for a tent with a bit of headroom and decent porches - for example, the Chinese copies that Alan has mentioned should do the job just fine - although I would prefer something a bit more robust if camping high or in winter.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy