Author Topic: TR Catstycam and Birkhouse Moor Sat 12 to Sun 13 Oct 19  (Read 2254 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Getting to my new place of work has been proving too problematic using public transport. Riding my bike was doable but I had too many near misses with vehicles getting too close when they were overtaking me so I have took the plunge and gone back to having a car again.

So....

We parked at Patterdale on Saturday. We were doing Catstycam and then finding a pitch for the night somewhere. I have more to think about now planning where we are going, I need to think about where we are leaving the car and getting back to it again. It is going to take some getting used to.

We walked by Ullswater shore to give Squeaky a run about. It was a blustery day with sunny spells but we did have a few spits and spots of rain now and again. Squeaky made friends with Max the sheepdog and had a bit of a run about with him. Max then cocked his leg and peed on Beefy's legs  :o Luckily the nearby toilets are still open and Beefy could clean it off.

Birkhouse Moor and Sheffield Pike from near Glenridding Pier

Place Fell from near the pier

We'd walked by Gillside Campsite and debated doing the Mires Beck route but decided on the Red Tarn Beck route instead.

Beefy and Squeaky walking up by Glenridding Beck

It was pretty quiet we'd hardly seen a soul on the path we were on. There was a big group of walkers on the other side of the beck mind. It was tough going up here; the wind was blowing into our faces for most of the way up. We stopped for an early lunch near Red Tarn Beck about 3/4 of the way up. We wished we hadn't stopped because about 3 million people passed by us on the path walking up to Red Tarn. I have never seen so many walkers about except for on Scafell Pike, Ben Nevis, Snowdon and Arthurs Seat! Where did they all come from  :o

Helvellyn and Swirral Edge

We got to Red Tarn feeling we were walking in a city centre  ;D If we'd carried on and not stopped we would have avoided them.

Striding Edge

It was busy on Striding Edge, surprising because the wind was quite strong at times.

Looking back at Swirral Edge from the path to Catstycam

The wind was ferocious going up here and we thought nobody would be hanging around on the summit. :)

Beefy and Squeaky on Catstycam.

Oh.. with some people who were hanging around on the summit  ;)

The north western fells over Lower Man and White Side from Catstycam

Skiddaw seen in between White Side and Raise from Catstycam

Cloud now covering Helvellyn

Toward St Sunday Crag

We didn't stay long on the summit, it was too windy. How the two walkers could sit there in that awful wind is beyond me  :-\  We made our way back down to Red Tarn and walked by the wall to Birkhouse Moor.

Looking back to the Helvellyn edges and Catstycam

Beefy and Squeaky on Birkhouse Moor

The view toward Ullswater on Birkhouse Moor

Descending on the Mires Beck route

We got some water for our camp from Mires Beck and looked around for a pitch. Not easy because it was windy, the ground was soggy but we found a place eventually sheltered from the wind but it wasn't the flattest pitch we have ever had.

The Hubba Hubba pitched on Birkhouse Moor

Nice view of Ullswater from our pitch

Across Arnison Crag to the Far Eastern Fells

St Sunday Crag from our pitch

We didn't get a sunset view and there were some heavy bursts of rain now and again. We were nice and dry in the tent though. We had our tea, had some wine and enjoyed the view of Ullswater until it got too dark to see it. 

Morning mist from our pitch

We packed our gear with rain threatening. We traversed the fellside to meet the Mires Beck pitched path. Not great when it is wet  :-\

Squeaky leading the way down the path 

We did get some rain on the way down but it wasn't that heavy. 

Arnison Crag from near Glenridding Pier 

We got back to the car as the rain got heavier. We were lucky really, it tipped it down for most of the day after that. Not a bad weekend, nice to have a car again, it makes for a quick exit home  O0

Day 1 was 9 miles and 800m of ascent - Patterdale - Glenridding Pier - Gillside Campsite - Red Tarn Beck - Red Tarn - Catstycam - Red Tarn - Birkhouse Moor - pitch near Mires Beck. Day 2 was 3.5 miles 60m ascent - pitch - Mires Beck path - Gillside Campsite - Glenridding Pier - Patterdale.     
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Catstycam and Birkhouse Moor Sat 12 to Sun 13 Oct 19
« Reply #1 on: 22:28:08, 15/10/19 »
Great pics Ape O0
Was lovely sat in the tent with such a stunning view eh,
Max is now on the banned list  :(

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 06:24:11, 16/10/19 »
Surprisingly good circuit and pics considering the forecast, good pitch again (one that I've had my eye on for a while, if I ever revisit the Helvellyn group).

...so I have took the plunge and gone back to having a car again.
:( Oh dear. So we won't see you on the bus after all.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:29:56, 16/10/19 »
It was nice on Saturday apart from the wind.

12 hour days for 7.30 hours work time. Sadly I did have to get a car in the end. I am not that sad about it really. I am enjoying the convenience of it.
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:36:23, 16/10/19 »
Great pics again April - I love Catstycam, had my birthday breakfast just below the summit last year in warm sunshine with not a soul about.

You made the right decision to come down early on Sunday - I was in Buttermere, it started raining about 10am and stopped about 12 hours later - got very wet on Mellbreak.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:38:38, 16/10/19 »
Lovely pics bringing back lots of memories.

A car will change your walking plans but it should open up all sorts of possibilities particularly when the buses are on winter timetable.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:58:17, 16/10/19 »
Great photos April    :)

Won't you find it a bit restrictive having to do circular walks?  Using public transport I find the option of linear walks offers so much flexibility with routes.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:55:48, 16/10/19 »
Blimey I didnt think you had ever learned to drive!  :o :o
Beefy peed on the dogs leg?  :-\ ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:01:31, 16/10/19 »
Nice pictures despite the weather, April. I particularly like the view of Ullswater from your pitch.

Good to use public transport but a car opens up lots of possibilities.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:59:46, 16/10/19 »
@ pdstsp - it really tipped it down in north Cumbria all day on Sunday, bleddy awful!

A car will change your walking plans but it should open up all sorts of possibilities particularly when the buses are on winter timetable.

It will be fab in winter because we will be able to do a full day walk without having to camp out. No rushing or worrying about catching buses  :)

Won't you find it a bit restrictive having to do circular walks?  Using public transport I find the option of linear walks offers so much flexibility with routes.

Thanks Dovegirl. Having a car does have pros and cons. I do prefer doing linear walks. We can always park, hop on a bus and do a linear walk if we want to I suppose.

Blimey I didnt think you had ever learned to drive!  :o :o

Yes, I passed my test about a hundred years ago  ;)

Beefy peed on the dogs leg?  :-\ ;D

It was the other way round ya daft bogger.

Good to use public transport but a car opens up lots of possibilities.

Thanks Richard, aye, we can go to more places now, we have a long list!
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:25:44, 16/10/19 »
Great pics and Tr April O0
Glad you made the most of the brief break in the weather.
All your mates on the bus will be missing you,  although Pavel the hunky bus driver will be glad his stalking nightmare is over ;D

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:21:48, 16/10/19 »
Thanks Karl  O0

We might be getting the bus somewhere en route on Saturday and surprise them all if we do a linear walk  :)

;D @ Pavel. I think he must have stopped bus driving, we've not seen him for years.
Hate will never win

photonut

« Reply #12 on: 22:57:05, 16/10/19 »
Nice TR April.

As Pdstsp says... you made the right call to evacuate early on Sunday... I was in Wasdale and oh bloomin eck did it rain  ;D

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:10:49, 17/10/19 »
Nice photos April, really like the Ullswater shots :)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 23:09:52, 17/10/19 »
Smashing write up and pics April  :)

Squeaky looks so cute in that jacket  :smitten:

And, I'm sorry but, I laughed out loud at the dog peeing up Beefy's leg  :2funny:

Congrats on getting a car by the way - if nothing else it will make the work commute more pleasurable in the depths of winter  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy