Author Topic: Camping with EHU  (Read 2502 times)

Davon

Camping with EHU
« on: 22:56:21, 24/10/19 »
Anyone recommend a good campsite with ehu near Grassmere please ?
I know not central  but does Castlerigg take solo campers ?

Thanks

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: Camping with EHU
« Reply #1 on: 07:09:09, 25/10/19 »

Campsite with what?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 07:56:13, 25/10/19 »
Campsite with what?
Electric Hook Up. 
Google is your friend on these occasions though plain English in the original post helps.
Solvitur Ambulando

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:12:20, 25/10/19 »
Ah right, thank you. Normally I won't waste time looking up unexpanded acronyms when they're not fundamental to the forum in question.
Can't help the OP I'm afraid, not our style  :)

Google is your friend...
Google's only friend is Google. They are definitely not mine, in fact they are one of a group of sworn enemies  >:(

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:58:07, 25/10/19 »
What do you mean by near Grasmere? There aren’t any campsites in Grasmere so it depends in which direction you want to be not in Grasmere. The NT site in Great Langdale has hook-ups but I wouldn’t describe it as near Grasmere. However it’s nearer to Grasmere than Castlerigg.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:59:34, 25/10/19 »
Ah right, thank you. Normally I won't  waste time looking up unexpanded acronyms when they're not fundamental to the forum in question.
In that case why ask? How do you know it isn’t?
Google's only friend is Google. They are definitely not mine, in fact they are one of a group of sworn enemies  >:(
Not a view I share, it is a tool like many others and has not done me sufficient harm to warrant joining an enemies list.  I have set my privacy settings appropriately. Other search engines are available, may I suggest DuckDuckGo
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:18:23, 25/10/19 »
I know not central  but does Castlerigg take solo campers ?

51 campsites within 10 miles of Grasmere are listed here:
https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/calcdist.asp?l=54.459734&lg=-3.024391899999955&address=grasmere&md=10
Personally I'm a bit sceptical of the reviews on that website, peoples' expectations seem to be a lot lower than mine. I generally double check with reviews on TripAdvisor where possible.

I've yet to hear of a campsite that doesn't take solo campers.

PS, I am familiar with the term EHU though I don't require it  :)

PPS, Another anti-Google person here, I won't have anything of theirs on my computers or phone (with the sole exception of Google Earth).

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:04:41, 25/10/19 »
In that case why ask? How do you know it isn’t?
It's courtesy really. If I use an acronym that likely won't be known to virtually every reader of the forum in question, I expand the first occurrence of it. I shouldn't waste their time giving them the extra job of looking it up. I see this a lot of late. I don't recall ever seeing EHU and I visit an awful lot of forums and sites.

Davon

« Reply #8 on: 16:25:41, 25/10/19 »
Did not realise  I could upset so many people with 3 letters .
Quite incredible really  :-X

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:35:36, 25/10/19 »
Whats an OP?  ::)

I remember hiking through Grasmere a couple of years ago and asking if there was a campsite nearby and she looked at me, (it was raining) and told me that tent people are not welcome here. I thought the individual was joking but she wasn't. I've never been back to Grasmere since so I assume there is still no site nearby.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:27:12, 25/10/19 »
Personally I'm a bit sceptical of the reviews on that website,...

Yes, be cautious. Quite a few years ago - it may be different now, I don't know - I vaguely remember considerable acrimony on ukcampsite concerning negative posts about campsites that were censored or deleted because the website was partly funded by some of those campsites.

Whats an OP?  ::)

Ah, one might say touché!. OP = Original Poster is universal in all English language forums, newcomers would quickly learn it.

Don't worry about it, it's all good and friendly here  :)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:27:37, 25/10/19 »
Quite incredible really  :-X
Don't worry it is SOP for TLAs. :)

(Standard Opertaing Procedure, Three Letter Acronyms.)
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:36:15, 25/10/19 »
Ukcampsite is the place to go.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:11:36, 25/10/19 »
No idea about the Grasmere area but Castlerigg HALL campsite doesn't accept solo campers.  Castlerigg FARM campsite does.

Rydal Hall (nearish Grasmere-ish) does accept solo campers but doesn't have EHU.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:55:38, 26/10/19 »
Why on earth would Castlerigg Hall not accept solo campers?
I have never heard of such a thing before!
Is it some form of snobbery? Do they have so much business that they can afford to exclude potential customers?

I too have had a similar experience to Gunwharfman's. After climbing Cadair Idris from Minffordd, walking eastwards along ithe length of the ridge and descending towards Dolgellau, I called at the bungalow in what was marked on my map as a campsite. The woman who answered the door was evidently quite cross at having been disturbed, perhaps she was in the middle of watching Coronation Street or something, and looking down her nose at me she told me in an icy tone that this was not a campsite, it was for caravans only. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy