Author Topic: Advice on distance to aim for  (Read 3341 times)

ken1921

Advice on distance to aim for
« on: 15:16:55, 13/01/20 »
Hi all

I am in my fifties and whilst not totally unfit I want to seriously boost my fitness this year via walking.  I would like to do much walking during the coming months building up to one big long walk later in the year and would be interested to hear what experienced walkers feel would be a realistic goal.

What I would like to aim for is to walk from Braunton to Ilfracombe on the South West Coastal Path, a distance of 23.5 miles.  The website describes that section as easy to moderate with a more strenuous section near Ilfracombe.

I would plan to do this in September so I have 8-9 months to prepare.

So, thoughts?

Many thanks

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Advice on distance to aim for
« Reply #1 on: 15:58:37, 13/01/20 »
Welcome to the forum from a windswept Devon.

The walk you propose would be a good day out.  Although I have never done it in a single walk, my wife and I caught the bus from Mortehoe to Ilfracombe and walked back on the SWCP as far as Mortehoe in a shade under 4hrs.  We were both late 60s at the time.  A circular from Croyde to Woolacombe and back takes around 3 hours so the whole walk should be doable.

The going is not too bad but as you say there are some steep sections between Morte Point and Lee, especially after Bull Point - steep enough for steps anyway.  The views make it worthwhile though.  I have seen seals along that section too.
Solvitur Ambulando

Warbler

« Reply #2 on: 16:08:16, 13/01/20 »
I've walked the whole of the SWCP in weekend stints. I was also in my early/mid fifties at the time. The distances I covered daily ranged from 10 to 15 miles in general, although I did do a couple of 20 milers, one of which was around the Taw and Torridge estuaries (very flat), and I regretted it afterwards. I could barely walk the following day.

I personally wouldn't want to attempt walking 23 miles in a day, it wouldn't be enjoyable for me. Of course it's doable so long as you have some similar distances under your belt before then.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

thomasdevon

« Reply #3 on: 16:11:32, 13/01/20 »
That sounds like at least a 10-hour walk. Is this feasible?

1. The best any fit, regular hiker can do with modest kit and easy trails is 3mph, so to do it in less than 8hrs you're as good as the best in the world.

2. I always reckon the way to train for a 4-hour hike is to do 5-hour hikes.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:45:29, 13/01/20 »
...1. The best any fit, regular hiker can do with modest kit and easy trails is 3mph,...

I'm sorry; I really don't like to contradict, but I strongly disagree with that statement.

I'm 67 years old, I've only considered myself a walker for just over 3 years (having started when I stopped smoking after 45 years) and I'm of fairly average build. My normal and average walking speed for anything up to 32 miles in one go is about 4.1mph.

I looked back to find a comparable walk to that discussed here and found one I did last year. It was 23 miles from Ashford (in Kent) to Whitstable. I crossed fields of beans (tough!) and a large field of fully-grown maize to get to the North Downs Way which I followed to Canterbury. Then I followed a track through woods to Whitstable. There were several short, steep hills (some with steps!) and the total ascent was 1253ft. I took lots of photos along the way but I didn't stop to eat. The walk took me less than 6hrs at an average speed of 3.9mph.

My point is... there's little point in speculating about what walkers can or can't do. Some walk at a snail's pace (and are happy to do so) and some walk briskly, while going at their natural pace. The only way to find out what your natural speed is, is to measure it. In my case, I became accustomed to walking fair distances by going out several times a week and trying to go ever further. I'll never forget the elation I felt the first time I did 20 miles!
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:47:12, 13/01/20 »
The first part of the walk could be binned without great loss.  Saunton to Ilfracombe would be 15 miles and would cover the "wilder" parts and cliff tops.
If you do want to start from Braunton, the section from Velator Quay to Saunton is flat and easy going but go behind the dunes rather than along the beach which can be soft and strength sapping.  The SWCP no longer runs round the seaward side of Horsey Island so that cuts a corner off too.
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:05:08, 13/01/20 »
Whitstable Dave would have been shoved into the DLI during the period of conscription.  ;D
The Infantry tend to train at around 3 mph. The DLI were always the exception. My brother reckons that even in the cavalry they had to march at just over 3mph., that is when they didn't have their horses.

When walking for fun, targets are not important at all, smelling the flowers and viewing the landscape is much more important.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Warbler

« Reply #7 on: 17:09:09, 13/01/20 »
The first part of the walk could be binned without great loss.  Saunton to Ilfracombe would be 15 miles and would cover the "wilder" parts and cliff tops.

Bang on the money!

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:21:10, 13/01/20 »
Whitstable Dave would have been shoved into the DLI during the period of conscription.  ;D
The Infantry tend to train at around 3 mph. The DLI were always the exception. My brother reckons that even in the cavalry they had to march at just over 3mph., that is when they didn't have their horses.

When walking for fun, targets are not important at all, smelling the flowers and viewing the landscape is much more important.

Oh dear, I'll have to disagree twice in one topic!  :)

I like to smell the flowers and view the landscape too, but I also love targets. For me, targets are very important - but I do enough walks to focus on targets one day and the flowers the next. Targets provide me with additional motivation and help improve my stamina and fitness, and I find meeting them very satisfying.

So again, we're all different and it's likely that we share an enjoyment of many of the huge number of benefits and pleasures of walking, while not sharing certain others!
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:36:31, 13/01/20 »
I seriously boosted my fitness with walking. I run now, this boosted it further and faster than walking did but I did the walking first.

People can develop at different rates so there's no guarantees but I think you could do that. I walked around 20 miles in a day before I started running, 12 along the Pennine way followed by 8 urban miles.

I'd prescribe running but if you'd rather walk it...

I recommend you start doing at least 15,000 steps a day around town including going up hills as fast as you can if you have time - took me about 2 and a half hours a day when I used to do this. Get an activity tracker to count them (recommended) or use your phone.

Also go out walking in the country on difficult walks (hills preferably) at least once a week preferably more often, the more often the better really to get your fitness up faster so long as your body doesn't protest - if it does have rest days where you just do the steps. Increase the mileage going by how you feel. Make it comfortably hard so it's challenging but not so hard you end up hating it and quit.

You should smash it. Good luck!

« Last Edit: 17:48:52, 13/01/20 by Rob Goes Walking »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:46:12, 13/01/20 »
Welcome to the forum, Ken.

As long as you have no underlying health issues, there is no reason why you could not achieve your 23.5 mile walk.

I don't have any specific advice other than to get out and walk! Gradually build up your distances as you get fitter.

Good luck :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

thomasdevon

« Reply #11 on: 18:37:30, 13/01/20 »
I'm sorry; I really don't like to contradict, but I strongly disagree with that statement.

I'm 67 years old, I've only considered myself a walker for just over 3 years (having started when I stopped smoking after 45 years) and I'm of fairly average build. My normal and average walking speed for anything up to 32 miles in one go is about 4.1mph.

I looked back to find a comparable walk to that discussed here and found one I did last year. It was 23 miles from Ashford (in Kent) to Whitstable. I crossed fields of beans (tough!) and a large field of fully-grown maize to get to the North Downs Way which I followed to Canterbury. Then I followed a track through woods to Whitstable. There were several short, steep hills (some with steps!) and the total ascent was 1253ft. I took lots of photos along the way but I didn't stop to eat. The walk took me less than 6hrs at an average speed of 3.9mph.

My point is... there's little point in speculating about what walkers can or can't do. Some walk at a snail's pace (and are happy to do so) and some walk briskly, while going at their natural pace. The only way to find out what your natural speed is, is to measure it. In my case, I became accustomed to walking fair distances by going out several times a week and trying to go ever further. I'll never forget the elation I felt the first time I did 20 miles!

I should perhaps have said -
"The best any fit, regular hiker can do with modest kit and easy trails is 3mph.......... excluding WhitstableDave........"

Dave - were you a chartered surveyor by any chance in a previous existence?

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:47:09, 13/01/20 »
I think walking solo allows for faster walking. On my own I can consistently average well over 3mph. With a group it depends on who is there.
Walking speed depends on many factors on any particular walk, ascent both the amount and the gradient, the weather... head winds, walking in waterproofs, underfoot conditions.. sticky or slippery mud.
So it always just depends, rarely do we get absolutely ideal conditions so just do the best you can on the day.
It's all uphill from here.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:51:06, 13/01/20 »
For my part, if the terrain is undulating, flat, in green footpath areas, like Kent and Sussex, for example, I can still easily hike between 10 15 miles a day, if I push it I have been known to even get up to 20 miles in a day. It all depends I suppose as to what I'm motivated to do and why (e.g. is there a pub waiting for me to visit, etc?) what the weather is like at the time and so on. In the Lakes or similar, I would walk less distance per day unless I desperately wanted to end up in a pub at a reasonable hour. I find pubs very motivational!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:54:40, 13/01/20 »
What I would like to aim for is to walk from Braunton to Ilfracombe on the South West Coastal Path, a distance of 23.5 miles.  The website describes that section as easy to moderate with a more strenuous section near Ilfracombe.

I would plan to do this in September so I have 8-9 months to prepare.

So you have your goal - a distance of 23.5 miles on the "undulating" SWCP, and you want to be able to do this in 8 or 9 months time.

If it was me training for this I'd start off with daily short walks (less than 5 miles each day) until this felt comfortable then gradually up the distance over time and include more challenging terrain. 

Factor in the odd rest day or day where you only do a short couple of miles without a pack. 

I'd also keep a note of my speed over the course of time so as to calculate how long it "could" take to do the intended distance without any rest stops (which you would need to factor in at some point). 

I'd also wear my filled backpack on every walk - even if it's just weighted with bottles of water.

I don't think age is relevant. Listening to your body, whatever age you are is more important.  If it hurts, aches, pulls or rubs, find out why and either rest or make adjustments.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy