Author Topic: Cyclists  (Read 9456 times)

Glyno

• Veteran Member
Re: Cyclists
« Reply #45 on: 14:47:46, 11/05/20 »

I've been stuck for what seems like ages in a car behind a couple of dozen cyclists riding two or three abreast at about 15mph (or less). I was a cyclist driving a car and swearing at cyclists... is that so unusual?

If for instance, there's a group of eight cyclists, it's better if they cycle two abreast creating a shorter object to overtake than a single row of eight. Also, the overtaking motorist is more likely to use the full width of the road to overtake (as they would if they were overtaking another vehicle) rather than squeezing past.
If I'm aware that I could be causing a queue to form behind me, on a hill for eg, I'll pull into a lay by or bus stop and allow the impatient [censored] to pass. I might even get a wave, or a  O0  from one if I'm lucky!  :) 

https://vimeo.com/136215353

When on shared paths, I also prefer to holler "s'cuse me" as I think it sounds a bit more polite than the ding of a bell. The problem arises when the person you're intending to pass is totally oblivious to any kind of warning due headphones/earphones being worn. They then have the bloody temerity to curse because you made them jump!
« Last Edit: 15:08:13, 11/05/20 by Glyno »

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 21:28:08, 11/05/20 »
Small sample..dozens rather than hundreds...but cycling behaviour on mixed use path I walk most days has worsened during lockdown.

Nothing drastic..but it’s been pretty much the norm on wide parts of path for cyclists cycling in pairs to cycle side by side closer to each other than 2 metres apart (maybe living in same household? Maybe not?)...and as the duos have passed walkers often (more often than not) made no effort to change to “single file”, thus meaning they get very close to walkers they overtake.

I thought etiquette on mixed use paths was for bikers to give precedence to walkers? Not seen much evidence of that being applied.

One mate reckons rules state bikers should dismount to go past walkers unless path very wide. I have seen one or two bikers do this on narrow sections over the years...but it’s very rare.
« Last Edit: 21:33:44, 11/05/20 by pauldawes »

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 21:40:16, 11/05/20 »
Cyclists giving way to pedestrians is similar to steam giving way to sail, but the slower vessel still needs to take care and not obstruct the larger, faster one. As a car driver, I will happily give space to cyclists, but many seem determined to risk their lives by ignoring road rules, not paying attention to their surroundings and making sudden changes of direction. I wish it was a minority, but in my area this is not the case.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 21:46:14, 11/05/20 »
One mate reckons rules state bikers should dismount to go past walkers unless path very wide. I have seen one or two bikers do this on narrow sections over the years...but it’s very rare.
Our local canal towpath insists cyclists dismount to go under bridges.  Those that don't risk going, clonk, ouch, splash.  I live in hope of seeing it happen but so far no luck.
Solvitur Ambulando

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 21:47:48, 11/05/20 »
Cyclists giving way to pedestrians is similar to steam giving way to sail
Not if the 'steam ship' is on a fixed bearing.
If you have every crossed the channel, it is amazing how many very large ships there are.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 22:08:16, 11/05/20 »
Not if the 'steam ship' is on a fixed bearing.
If you have every crossed the channel, it is amazing how many very large ships there are.
Steam normally gives way to sail (except the IOW ferry which seems to have priority over everything at all times) unless it cannot manoeuvre because it is in a confinred channel.  A vessel on a steady bearing bearing indicates collision risk. If you sail across the Channel, traffic is in lanes and cannot alter course easily.  It is a brave yachtie that passes ahead though.  Even if there is a bridge watch on the ship, and it is awake, you disappear under the bow flare at a hell of a distance and they just can't see you.  It is a bit like trying to cross the M1 full of lorries but in slow motion.  We always passed astern and had the engine warmed and ready.My favourite sound signal is 5 of more blasts - traditionally interpreted as "Your intentions are unclear to me" or as we did had it "what the **** are you doing and stop it!"
Solvitur Ambulando

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 22:20:47, 11/05/20 »

If for instance, there's a group of eight cyclists, it's better if they cycle two abreast creating a shorter object to overtake than a single row of eight. Also, the overtaking motorist is more likely to use the full width of the road to overtake (as they would if they were overtaking another vehicle) rather than squeezing past.
If I'm aware that I could be causing a queue to form behind me, on a hill for eg, I'll pull into a lay by or bus stop and allow the impatient [censored] to pass. I might even get a wave, or a  O0  from one if I'm lucky!  :) 

When I was still working, most Thursday mornings around 9.30 in spring/summer, I would pass coming the other way, members of a cycling club heading out of town on a minor road. There were usually 20-30 of them, cycling in perhaps two groups. It was virtually impossible to pass them and I was grateful I was heading the other way.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 22:28:32, 11/05/20 »
I used to be in a cycling club and they are sometimes 'difficult'.
We had a couple of fatalities, and the club decided to stick to the smaller country lanes on club runs.
I suggested that when a car was behind we singled up and string out.  That would give a car a chance to pass us one at a time.
It never happened.
I started to drift away from them after that and do my own thing.
I was not into time trials, much preferring touring, which was frowned upon, but I was the one that went abroad a lot, and all they did was cycle 12.5 miles to a pub in Aylesbury, cycle round it, then 12.5 miles back towards Amersham.  I used to stop for a chat with the marshal, a pint and a fag, adding 15 minutes to my time.
They let me go first as I was always last.
PD was 1 hour 20 minutes.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 07:34:06, 12/05/20 »
I used to be in a cycling club and they are sometimes 'difficult'.

I always cycle alone, the whole point of it for me is the freedom and sense of well-being it gives me, the fitness benefit is a bonus. I don't think I could ever imagine riding with a group, I'm too fond of stopping to take the odd photo or (in normal times) to have a coffee or two. I won't mention the cake.
I try to get 40 or 50 kms in after work most days and something longer on a Sunday while we're restricted from travelling to the hills.
One thing that does amuse me is the reaction I get from other cyclists. Surprisingly, the older boys wearing the club jersey seem (to me) less likely to give the customary nod or wave, whereas those not displaying club colours tend to be more sociable, particularly when riding with a mate or two. Maybe a club jersey gives a certain cyclist a feeling of superiority?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 08:45:09, 12/05/20 »
I was not into time trials, much preferring touring, which was frowned upon, but I was the one that went abroad a lot, and all they did was cycle 12.5 miles to a pub in Aylesbury, cycle round it, then 12.5 miles back towards Amersham.  I used to stop for a chat with the marshal, a pint and a fag, adding 15 minutes to my time.
They let me go first as I was always last.
PD was 1 hour 20 minutes.

That's my kind of cycling. O0
« Last Edit: 08:52:35, 12/05/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 08:50:10, 12/05/20 »
There are inconsiderate cyclists, there are inconsiderate joggers, there are inconsiderate motorists AND there are inconsiderate walkers.

Thankfully in all of these groups the inconsiderate are in a small minority; most people that I meet are friendly and considerate, and I don't see the point in tarring all cyclists with the same brush.

PS - I am far more likely to have a problem with other dog owners who cannot or do not control their dogs - I have on a few occasions become entangled in one of those long retractable leads as their dog follows Tess round and round my legs, the owner too witless to retract the lead and restrain the dog as I approach. But there again - most dog owners are responsible.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 09:25:13, 12/05/20 »
Curious how the different users of access, stumble over each other and manage to fall out. This reminds me of an open access area of Nescliffe in Shropshire being opened up, it was decided to make all the ways dual purpose, therefore Bridleways. I've no doubt it seemed a good idea at the time, one of the members of the body that administered this area, had served with me on many NFU committees way back in my farming days and he unburdened himself over a few pints by describing the complaints and counter complaints between the two fractions.

Having spent 45 years organizing horses at the County 2 day agricultural show I spotted the root cause. Firstly the area is sandstone with good parking, so horse boxes could bring in rider from a long distance, especially bad weather. Second the horses hooves would cut up the trails and cause ever increasing puddles, and thirdly the walkers would walk around these and tread out the bramble and briars to create a new path.

Unfortunately there is a human factor that exploits these new dual usage and comes in the form of Miss Awfully-My'Pony later marries and becomes Mrs Awfufully-Busy at Coffee Morning Corner, has a horse box you-know. Sadly circumstance beyond hubbies control does'nt allow her employ a groom.

So Nag gets ridden onto any new dry pathway, (to keep its hoofs clean and dry) creating the grounds for an endless stream of complaints as the quarrel deepens and becomes more bitter between two types of access user.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 10:40:45, 12/05/20 »
Well horse riders like to think they can control everything.
Truth is, they can't even control their pets.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 11:05:22, 12/05/20 »
Well horse riders like to think they can control everything.
Truth is, they can't even control their pets.
Oh for heaven's sake - talk about tarring with the same brush.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: 12:14:14, 12/05/20 »
Oh for heaven's sake - talk about tarring with the same brush.
Yep, that way, I know to avoid them.
It is why we have a fight or flight physiology.  If not sure, run.  If sure and it turns out one was wrong, then fight.
Done us humans well for a couple of million years.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy