Author Topic: Golden eagles for southern Scotland?  (Read 5222 times)

Strider

• Veteran Member
Golden eagles for southern Scotland?
« on: 16:15:22, 16/07/14 »
Hope so! The red kites are establishing themselves well, ospreys are returning, let's hope it's not long before another of our great birds of prey is back in the region.

News report (features Carrifran wildwood and the Grey Mares Tail waterfall)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-28320168

Not all those who wander are lost

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
Re: Golden eagles for southern Scotland?
« Reply #1 on: 21:35:38, 16/07/14 »
that's potentially great news.. I wonder if they could encourage a few down to Kent..  ::)
roll on the weekend

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:09:01, 16/07/14 »
that's potentially great news.. I wonder if they could encourage a few down to Kent..  ::)

Yes, I can just see the sheep farmers on Romney Marsh encouraging that. O0 ::) :)
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

robstubbs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:27:42, 17/07/14 »

If Kent makes the kind of habitat they need then anythings possible.  Not sure though that would entail importing a few mountains amongst other things ...  :-\

Rob.

The Old Man of the North

« Reply #4 on: 16:39:56, 15/09/14 »
Ah! The Romney Alps !
There was an Old Man of the North who fell in a basin of broth but a laudable cook fished him out with a hook which saved that Old Man of the North

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:24:04, 16/09/14 »
There are eagles breeding in the south of Scotland! I know of three eerie sites one of which produced 'Roxy'
which was fitted with a satellite tracking tag. You can find out his details and where he went on the
www.roydennis.org site.  Roxy was named after a birding friend called Dick Roxburgh who lives in Ayrshire and contributed much to the Scottish Raptor Group. Have a look at the site I'm sure you will find very interesting items on there.
I was lucky enough to see a couple of eagles soaring in the thermals in Glencoe yesterday morning.
Today, three ravens were in the same place.........

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:42:38, 17/09/14 »
Bookmarked.  Though there seems to be some confusion on whether Roxy is a boy or a girl :)

I was up at Hart Fell a couple of weeks ago, I'll keep a look out for him/her ;) next time I'm up that way

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:57:45, 17/09/14 »
Hope so! The red kites are establishing themselves well, ospreys are returning, let's hope it's not long before another of our great birds of prey is back in the region.

Don't forget the Eagle Owls there are a few of them about

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:00:50, 19/09/14 »
A few months ago I held an eagle perched on my arm at a falconry near Moreton in Marsh.  Quite an experience to be eye to eye with one only a few inches away, and they are surprisingly heavy.

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 06:11:32, 20/09/14 »

If Kent makes the kind of habitat they need then anythings possible.  Not sure though that would entail importing a few mountains amongst other things ...  :-\

Rob.

There's a bird of prey centre down in here in Kent and I was told a story of how an American Bald eagle escaped and made it as far as Rochester before running out of steam and finishing up on someone's back garden. Can you imagine the surprise looking out to your garden and seeing this guy perched on your bird table?   8)
roll on the weekend

ron6632

« Reply #10 on: 18:08:34, 07/10/14 »
In a similar vein, I seem to remember a few years back that a falconry centre had a Griffon Vulture fly off and not return.  They had to put out a warning to commercial aircraft because it could fly up to around 30,000 feet!

Strider

• Veteran Member

Forest Nymph

« Reply #12 on: 20:47:27, 30/11/14 »
It is lovely to hear that biodiversity, including golden eagles, are increasing in southern Scotland.  Thanks to all who are working to preserve our nature.

Elena

Gregmuzz

« Reply #13 on: 10:08:07, 01/12/14 »
As an avid follower of the Scottish Ospreys I would love to see more Golden Eagles in Scotland, Only ever seen one, but have seen plenty of White Tailed Eagles on the western isles. I would like to see a project like the Loch Garten ospreys, but for the Golden Eagle. loch Garten do it so well.
Holiday Scotland website www.holidayscotland.org

Holiday Scotland Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/HolidayScotland

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 00:41:16, 22/08/18 »
Bump!

....and 4 years later, three young eagles have just this week been released in the hills above Moffat.  Let's hope they're the first of many!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-45248409

For the next four years, the scheme will bring up to 10 young eagles south.

Their range could take them from the hills of southern Scotland to the Lake District or even as far as Wales.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy