Author Topic: Sony cybershot?  (Read 5312 times)

pleb

• Veteran Member
Sony cybershot?
« on: 10:47:33, 18/02/19 »
Who has a sony cybershot or similar? Toying with buying a camera with more zoom, a light one for carrying. Nowt wrong with me  (old, 2nd hand, free) samsung bar it struggles to zoom on wildlife.
Thanks.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

FTSTTLB

Re: Sony cybershot?
« Reply #1 on: 11:09:14, 18/02/19 »
I have a Sony cybershot RX100 (the first). Really happy about it. Bought it in 2015 so there are some new models (I think they're already at V or VI). It's a wonderful and powerful camera and ideal for those who love both photography and hiking (ideal weight)

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:48:06, 18/02/19 »
We have the RX100 Mk3, it gives excellent results for its size and it superseded our old Canon DSLR + L lens. The optical zoom range is quite good. The tiny size and buttons take some getting used to, it's so easy to press one accidentally whilst trying to hold it steady.

Our only criticism really is featureitis, the plague of so many modern electronic devices. It's far too complicated (for us) with far too many menus and submenus with innumerable permutations of settings and actions. Much better to do fewer things and do them well with simplicity.
Edit: The Mk3 has an electronic viewfinder, much better than relying on the LCD screen that's often hard to see clearly.
« Last Edit: 11:57:29, 18/02/19 by vghikers »

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:09:41, 18/02/19 »
I also have an RX 100 MK1, I love it - great camera. But, it's not going to cut it for wildlife close ups. I think the zoom range is around 28 - 100. Fantastic for landscape and architecture though, which is why I bought it. The Canon was getting a bit much on day hikes.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:25:31, 18/02/19 »
I have a Sony DSC HX90V.  Cracking camera with an electronic view finder, huge zoom.  Highly recommend it, though there may be even better upgrades by now!

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:07:02, 18/02/19 »
Me and Ape both have the Sony DSC HX60V
Great cameras  O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:59:12, 18/02/19 »
Great cameras  O0

I had one of those until I broke it  :(  - loved it.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:22:01, 18/02/19 »
Why not have a look at a second hand Olympus Stylus 1 or 1s..I have two. They remind me of a mini slr and up to 300mm zoom. It is small and will go in a coat pocket or small over shoulder bag easily.I hike with one over my shoulder all day as it is very light & versatile plus gives nice results in daylight.The one in the link seems a bit pricey. I bought mine for around £250 each..If you are not in a rush you can pick one up cheaper on E Bay or Amazon eventually..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-Stylus-1s-Digital-Compact/dp/B00OZ8HP2E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1550499580&sr=8-4&keywords=stylus+1s
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:28:03, 18/02/19 »
Frankly I'm quite disappointed with my Sony Cybershot DSC-WX60, bought on Amazon for £110 in August 2016.

Colours are dull and washed-out - greens in particular are a greyish-green, while browns are a greyish sandy. Even after giving my images a quick-fix edit they are still mediocre, they really lack the bright colours produced by the Ricoh CX6 that it replaced (ruined by rain). (I also own a dslr that I can compare results with.)

The difference in finger pressure required for focussing and shooting is minimal, so I'm forever unintentionally taking pictures before they're focussed; to try and redress that I spend so long making sure it has focussed before I press harder that I miss the moment. The zoom is terrible to set, instead of operating smoothly it jumps in or out in big increments.

The options and choices are all over the place instead of being easy to find in one menu. After two+ years I still struggle to find what I'm looking for. The in-camera Help files are just a series of hyperlinks that lead you to pages with more links, and so on; sometimes you find yourself going round in circles. The pdf manual found online is a bit better but still not simple to navigate.

The camera's main advantage for hiking etc. is that it is tiny and light, it has reasonably good close-up and telephoto capabilities, it has a self-timer and it can shoot HD videos.
« Last Edit: 17:49:58, 18/02/19 by fernman »

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:48:02, 18/02/19 »
Deleted by poster. I presed Quote instead of Modify.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:14:16, 18/02/19 »
Fernman, It sounds like you might be shooting in RAW format rather than JPEG??

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:07:21, 18/02/19 »
Fernman, It sounds like you might be shooting in RAW format rather than JPEG??

You got me wondering there, but after failing to find a mention in the awful pdf manual (if only it had an index!), a couple of online spec lists confirm that the WX-60 does not have RAW capability.

Kukkudrill

« Reply #12 on: 21:49:23, 27/02/19 »
I have a Sony DSC HX90V.  Cracking camera with an electronic view finder, huge zoom.  Highly recommend it, though there may be even better upgrades by now!

Another vote for the HX90V. Nothing better in its class, at least there wasn't last time I checked.
Make the most of the available light

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:48:01, 28/02/19 »
Great cameras  O0
Bought one from Currys yesterday. My card from the samsung works in it, good news.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 12:22:04, 28/02/19 »
I hope you are happy with it, I do like mine.  :)
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy