Author Topic: Camping Pillows  (Read 1812 times)

dank86

Camping Pillows
« on: 21:11:01, 19/02/19 »
Got to love this subject lol, I used to just do the use my clothing and what not but I have recently purchased a thermarest down pillow.

Omg it's so nice and comfy, you can adjust the firmness as well by adding a few bits in its 'pocket' this is also a nice way to wake up to warm clothing to lol.

It's amazing how much of a difference a pillow can make, good sleep good morning good hiking 👍

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Re: Camping Pillows
« Reply #1 on: 07:27:26, 20/02/19 »
It is inporimpo to me too. I have back and neck trouble and TBH even pillows at home are a problem so no camping pillow can really be good enough buy I haven a Thermarest pillow case and in that I put my oversized Exped inflatable along with a folded down jacket. So I have the height of the inflatable plus a thick wedge of down padding. It is th best I have come up with so far.

I wish I was still young when I could sleep fine on a thin foam mattress and use a rolled up jumper for a pillow.

taxino8

« Reply #2 on: 12:12:42, 20/02/19 »
I’ve never used one but admit I’m toying with the idea of getting one but I’m a bit bewildered by the choices and price differences.

dank86

« Reply #3 on: 12:15:35, 20/02/19 »
I know a few people with the inflatable ones and they seem to get one with them, then there's the cheaper foam filled ones that may as well not be there when I've tried them, they just get flattened to nothing. This one though has some down for softness but with the ability to firm it up.

Best thing is to go to a shop and lay on the floor testing them out lol

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:26:44, 20/02/19 »
Best thing is to go to a shop and lay on the floor testing them out lol

Tried that in Dunelm with bedroom ones. Manager kept coming and eyeing me suspiciously. Probably thought I was a rough sleeper about to have a kip  ;D

dank86

« Reply #5 on: 12:45:09, 20/02/19 »
Tried that in Dunelm with bedroom ones. Manager kept coming and eyeing me suspiciously. Probably thought I was a rough sleeper about to have a kip  ;D

;D  in all fairness I did get some funny looks taking a sleeping mat and pillows off the shelves in my local go outdoors... We won't know unless we test them isn't it lol

Butchersboy

« Reply #6 on: 13:47:05, 20/02/19 »
It's a luxury item well worth taking. Picked one up from China for under £5, lightweight and compact

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:52:45, 20/02/19 »
Exped inflatable pillows here, extremely light and supplied with a tiny stuffsack.
We used to scrape by with other bits of clothing stuffed into nylon bags but these are much better. Not a luxury these days, they prevent the neck and shoulder aches that had begun to plague us.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:35:59, 21/02/19 »
I have a Seatosummit inflatable pilloe and I find it comfortable, I got it as a gift. If it was me I wouldn't have paid out so much. I use small Thermarest pillow case over it, it matches the colour of my inflatable matress fitted sheet.  :)

Nomad32

« Reply #9 on: 15:46:12, 25/02/19 »
U just use a stuff sack with my down jacket inside. Its lush

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:36:54, 25/02/19 »
U just use a stuff sack with my down jacket inside. Its lush

Ditto. Sleeping bag stuff sack with fleece top, then down jacket as well, and I lay on the soft side.
Nothing extra to carry, they're items that I have anyway.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:13:01, 25/02/19 »
I had an exped pillow for a while. It was great when new but it quickly developed a leak and wouldn't stay blown up all night. So, I went back to using a stuff sack full of clothes. 

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:33:13, 25/02/19 »
Ditto. Sleeping bag stuff sack with fleece top, then down jacket as well, and I lay on the soft side.
Nothing extra to carry, they're items that I have anyway.

+1.

Why pay for and carry something that you can easily do without?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

dank86

« Reply #13 on: 21:32:59, 25/02/19 »

+1.

Why pay for and carry something that you can easily do without?

Because comfort, I've used stuff sacks for years and sure they're adequate. But for an extra 100g I can have much more comfort and a better night sleep setting me up for a better day. We are meant to enjoy what we do not suffer through it after all

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:17:34, 25/02/19 »
I have an exped pillow, 70g. I think it is comfy, beefy doesn't think his is quite right for him. I used to use the waterproof trousers and jacket in a bag for a pillow. Once when we were out we got soaked, the rain was heavy and the wet stuff inside a carrier bag for a pillow wasn't ideal. So I got the exped pillow. I normally wear my other clothing in my sleeping bag so I don't have spare clothing to use as a pillow.
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy