Author Topic: Please suggest a good mid layer  (Read 1684 times)

Starkiwi26

Please suggest a good mid layer
« on: 11:03:45, 25/02/19 »
Dear fellow members,

I am relatively new in walking, just started last June, but I fell in love in walking since then, walk once/twice almost weekly (except winter January because my gear is not warm enough for winter walk) therefore I am investing in the walking gear now.
I am currently using below for walking:

Base layer
Men extra fine merino knit long sleeve shirt
This is a merino shirt from Uniqlo, £30, quite warm
and it is a long sleeve, so I didn't need to apply sun cream.

Mid layer
a Superdry hoodie (but it is thick but it is a cotton hoodie, so I need to buy a new one)
Please suggest me a good one.

Outer layer
The North Face Sangro jacket (Waterproof)
planning a GTX on my next purchase (welcome to recommend a good one also)

a) Appreciate fellow members could please comment on my gear above.
b) Suggestion for a good mid layer (need one now because my current one is a cotton hoodie, budget of <£100-£200 depending on quality.  )  
c) Suggestion for a better outer layer (for next purchase/wait for promotion)

Considering these gears will last for years, I would like to buy a better one (than having multiple average one)  
Many thanks.

zuludog

Re: Please suggest a good mid layer
« Reply #1 on: 11:46:39, 25/02/19 »
You have the basis for a decent & versatile selection of clothing. Here are my comments -

The merino shirt would be too hot for summer. Replace it as a base layer with some sort of thinner synthetic T shirt,  long or short sleeved as you wish. A cheap one is quite good enough

But keep the merino shirt as a first or thin mid layer. When it wears out get something in microfleece

Replace the hoodie with a medium fleece jacket, like Polartec 200. With a hood if you like, but I prefer a separate jacket & hat

Add a body warmer in fleece or thinnish synthetic quilting

If the Sangro jacket is waterproof & does the job, just keep it. You might just see something you prefer, or cheaper than the GTX in the near future

Spring's more or less here, so don't be in a great hurry to buy new, apart from replacing the Cotton hoodie. That will give you time to get used to what you want and see what's available

At the moment Go Outdoors have an extra 10% sale on everything till 5th March; but check with their website. In fact you could do worse than spending an afternoon browsing round one of their stores

You could consider adding some kind of windshirt or smock so you don't have to wear a big waterproof jacket in drizzly but mild weather
I often wear a windshirt over just a T shirt, or T shirt & microfleece in sunny but breezy weather
« Last Edit: 11:55:03, 25/02/19 by zuludog »

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:55:22, 25/02/19 »

I wouldn't worry about paying as much as that for a mid layer.  I have Paramo mid layers, Rab fleeces, Mountain Warehouse fleeces (in descending order of price) that I have gathered up over the years.  None of them cost as much as 100 pounds, and the MW ones were probably a fiver in a sale, They aren't quite as nice as the others, but I do sometimes wonder if they are really 50 quid worse.
I would spend the money on a really good outer layer, and if you read through the gear section on here, you will find plenty of suggestions.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:07:56, 25/02/19 »
The way I do it these days, is to wear a long sleeved baselayer then a long sleeved shirt on top. I like a collar! I then have one Berghaus full zip cardigan, and one Alpkit synthetic warm jacket with me. Sometimes, when I think its going to be really cold, I take my two Alpkit synthetic jackets and put one on, or both on as and when needed. This works for me because I have one secret weapon which nowadays I always take with me. Its a £14.99 single skin, very lightweight windproof Decathlon jacket and I think its great! Depending on the weather this jacket either stays in my rucksac, or I will put it on, over, under, or in the middle of what I'm wearing at the time for maximum effect.

I'm sure I could repeat these items and buy better and at more cost but at the moment I don't feel the need to.

Starkiwi26

« Reply #4 on: 16:44:29, 25/02/19 »
Had a quick search on Polartec 200 fleece, and found this
THE NORTH FACE Men's 200 Shadow Full Zip Jacket
Amazon is selling for £59.50 currently.

Any good?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:50:29, 25/02/19 »

Mid layer - any fleece - no need to spend a lot of money. I have a very light fleece for summer use (£18 from Blacks), a mid weight fleece, and a real heavy duty combined fleece/fibre pile jacket from an agricultural merchant for winter use. I spent less than £100 on the lot!

If you have money to spare, save it for a top notch waterproof.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:33:36, 25/02/19 »
No need to spend lots on a mid layer for UK.  I have several fleeces that I mix and match depending on the season.  Not one cost more than £30.  A good shell Jacket is the best place to put your hard earned.  Staying dry is the best way to stay warm?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:56:28, 25/02/19 »
Definitely  O0
Where there's a will ...

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:29:10, 26/02/19 »
I have three polartec 100 tops, one from mountain equipment, two tone blue with a pocket on the chest, cost about £40. The other two are Tiso's own brand, only one colour - dark blue/green and no pockets, cost £15 for the pair on offer. There's no other difference.

Starkiwi26

« Reply #9 on: 10:53:49, 26/02/19 »
Thanks for all advices.
The reason I want to spend more on this fleece is because it will be my daily wear also, targets for multi purpose fleece.

Correct me if I am wrong: I think these fleeces and jackets will last for ages, for example, my Superdry hoodie costs me £20 only, and is now 5 years old and still going strong (too bad to throw it, therefore I will be wearing it for another 5 years or more probably).
Therefore, this gives me the idea to buy a single really good one (for walking and daily wear) than having many normal fleeces & jackets (same total cost, I wasn't rich).
Probably not a good way in term of fashion (same jacket everyday), but good quality jacket give me a better life experience I suppose.

I am relatively new in life, but trying to make the right decision, please correct me if I am wrong.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:15:03, 26/02/19 »
Yes but my non expensive fleeces last just as long as my more expensive ones  :)
Where there's a will ...

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:18:59, 26/02/19 »
Yes, fleece is virtually indestructible. My original Karrimor one (the old firm, not the current brand name) bought over 35 years ago is still retained for messy outdoor chores when it's a little bit chilly.

But beware the modern "knitted fleece" that is fleece on the inside and looks finely woven on the outside. I think it falls into the category someone on here recently described as "pub wear". One I bought pilled and looked horrible in just a few weeks.

As the owner of a few fleeces I still maintain that a quality fleece is superior to an inexpensive one. My best one, a Lowe Alpine Aleutian, lets less wind through than the others, it feels generally cosier to wear, the cuffs have maintained their shape in spite of me frequently pushing the sleeves up my arms, the large collar is padded and feels velvety while there is no irritation on the neck and chin from the zip and its edges.

Starkiwi26

« Reply #12 on: 15:11:55, 26/02/19 »
--
« Last Edit: 15:38:41, 26/02/19 by Starkiwi26 »

tillster

« Reply #13 on: 22:56:03, 19/03/19 »
What's made me happy (and packs light-ish)

Rab microlite Alpine jacket will be your best friend, well worth the money and won't send you dashing for your sack when there's light rain.

A cheap (Craghoppers?) microlight fleece to layer beneath the Rab if you're at camp / resting

Marmot Precip is a very good value shell with underarm zips in case you sweat like John Prescott

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 07:48:49, 21/03/19 »
We've had this discussion before and Ive always been a cheap fleece guy but it has been pointed out by others that there are different types of fleeces.

I.e. the classic fleece material isn't worth spending a lot on but now there are lots of things called "fleece" with different properties, face fabrics, density gradients etc etc and the term has become hard to pin down. Some of them sound worth the extra money if they do what you. We'd like say being quite windproof.

Personally I have microfleeces and the cheap standard fleeces and rely on a cheap windproof for that side of things.

I wouldn't spend a lot on standard fleece but I might on something qualitatively different

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy