Author Topic: Thermos Cooking..?  (Read 14453 times)

lightweightmick

Thermos Cooking..?
« on: 15:17:13, 09/02/20 »
Just enjoyed a (late) lunch cooked in a small thermos - has to be small as I'm a gram counter lol (395 gms is heavy for me!)
Thing is, will it be worth it's weight?Anyone else tried this..?So far I've had good results with oats (whole) for porridge and flaked rice (initially as pudding) and just now as savoury with bbq beans and some Vivera Sharwarma kebab 'meat' which I reckon would dehydrate well Cut into small pieces), and rehydrate along with the flaked rice in around 10 minutes.
Thing to remember is, what tastes like (five letters) at home will taste much better when shivering in a sleeping bag under a tarp!
Use a smiley ...you know it makes sense

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Thermos Cooking..?
« Reply #1 on: 16:14:05, 09/02/20 »
How do you cook in the Thermos? Do you just add boiling water before you set out and it cooks while you are walking?

lightweightmick

« Reply #2 on: 17:09:11, 09/02/20 »
There are videos on YouTube Mike... Just got some macaroni in the Thermos to see if it really does cook in 15 mins... I'll let you know. Why didn't I know about this..?
« Last Edit: 17:13:27, 09/02/20 by lightweightmick »

lightweightmick

« Reply #3 on: 17:15:42, 09/02/20 »
...just had a thought - the weight of the thermos will be offset (in part at least) by the amount of gas it saves..?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:26:24, 09/02/20 »
... but there is the weight of the water you are cooking with.  If you cooked you could source your water locally. And once you have eaten, the thermos is dead weight.  How about self heating ration packs = no cooker?
Solvitur Ambulando

lightweightmick

« Reply #5 on: 17:41:26, 09/02/20 »
15 mins is up... a bit 'al dente' - maybe quick cook is needed..? I pre-heated flask first as well. I'm following this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znGwqLAUcqU
I imagine pasta will cook slightly differently according to brand..? And I don't have wholewheat as in the vid... but you would think w/wheat would take longer..?
Left it for a further 10 mins after adding some dry ingredients - salt for a starter! Then chilli con carne powder, some sosmix (now called Lincolnshire Sausage Mix - Granose)(3 heaped tspns) and some nutritional yeast (as dried cheese...) - fingers crossed lol

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:42:23, 09/02/20 »
... but there is the weight of the water you are cooking with.  If you cooked you could source your water locally. And once you have eaten, the thermos is dead weight.  How about self heating ration packs = no cooker?
I use a chemical heater on day / 2 day walks but the weight of the packs (250g EACH) starts balancing out with a gas canister for longer adventures
Too little, too late, too bad......

lightweightmick

« Reply #7 on: 18:11:50, 09/02/20 »
Never used self-heating ration packs and only the Ranchhouse style meals once - overpriced and not good, and you're tied to their ingredients...
It's had 25 mins all in - time to get tarp up, inflate the X-Lite and unpack sleeping bag - tastes good! - needs some mixed herbs adding though I reckon...
Fair comment on weight of water carried if rehydrating on the move... but could be worth it

lightweightmick

« Reply #8 on: 18:17:45, 09/02/20 »
I use a chemical heater on day / 2 day walks but the weight of the packs (250g EACH) starts balancing out with a gas canister for longer adventures
Hi Jimbob - I've never used a chemical heater. Do they work along the lines of the iron filings handwarmer pouches? I do carry a couple of those if I'm expecting it to be below freezing. Can just make that difference to core temperature!

I have been criticised in past for taking a small stove, but I like to sit and stare and put my feet up for a bit on my adventures!

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:51:55, 09/02/20 »
Hi Jimbob - I've never used a chemical heater. Do they work along the lines of the iron filings handwarmer pouches? I do carry a couple of those if I'm expecting it to be below freezing. Can just make that difference to core temperature!

I have been criticised in past for taking a small stove, but I like to sit and stare and put my feet up for a bit on my adventures!
The one I have uses lime pouches, quick lime,. You put the pouch in one container add water, and the chemical reaction begins and you slip the "cooking container into the hot water. I can get a dehydrated meal and a cup of hot chocolate out of one lime pouch. The interesting thing is that the bag becomes neutral and I chuck them into the compost heap when I get back home.

Not expensive to buy and they come in different shapes some like sandwich boxes and others, like mine, look like flasks, I suppose.
« Last Edit: 19:04:13, 09/02/20 by jimbob »

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:03:28, 09/02/20 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbVphBlZa5A

You can buy the 'Flame less heaters' in many places, even ebay (normally around 50p - £1 each)
« Last Edit: 19:13:01, 09/02/20 by alan de enfield »

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:07:05, 09/02/20 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbVphBlZa5A
I think all you ex forces types would know and love those meals.

Not.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:31:14, 09/02/20 »
Didn't have them in my day.  One of the favourites in our rat packs was Babies' Heads.  My least favourite was Biscuits Plain.  Never has the word Plain been used quite so comprehensively, not only tasteless but taste absorbing.  Could only be rendered palatable with the contents of a tube of condensed milk and a tube of jam, with practice you could do it on the march.  Their only plus side was they rendered the shiny loo paper unnecessary so you could use it to write a letter home. The tins of processed cheese weren't bad - open both ends, push the cheese through and slice it off with one of the lids.
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:18:44, 09/02/20 »
This is the model I got, its good for what I use it for.

https://www.campingworld.co.uk/Mobile/en/Trekmates-Flameless-Flask/m-m-9557.aspx
You also need to buy the little packages if lime which this company also sell.

No doubt other companies also sell Trekmates gear.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:34:36, 09/02/20 »
Never tried Thermos cooking, have had many a success with haybox cooking on campsites in the past, so I guess it works on the same principles, superinsulated container, hot liquid and time.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy