Author Topic: Your longest day walk?  (Read 4937 times)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Your longest day walk?
« Reply #45 on: 21:47:21, 15/11/19 »
I can still get a personal kick out of feeling exhausted, makes a beer, a meal and then a good sleep really worth the effort. Only this time I didn't get good sleep, I was too cold, but still, two out of three was good enough!
I agree GWM. The best beer, food and sleep definitely appears during and after a good long walk.

strawy

« Reply #46 on: 11:34:59, 16/11/19 »

I stopped smoking at the age of 63 after 20-a-day for about 44 years and I was never more than moderately fit. I began 'serious' walking a few months after giving up and I'm fitter now than I've ever been (or perhaps I've just got more stamina!).

Similar to you,i stopped the stick 4 yr ago after several failed attempts,so glad i did,after 40 odd years of polluting myself it got to where i could barely walk a half hour without coughing & wheezing,the difference is very clear to me,love my walks now,still fancy a smoke now and again but grab a vape instead,not ideal i know.
Well done m8  O0

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 12:45:14, 16/11/19 »
I think I walked a bit over 20 miles on one of my linear day walks, I don't really make of thing of speed, time and distance. I know I felt as if I had walked my limit.That was about when I turned 3 score and ten.

My longest must have been back in my twenties, after a full days rock climbing in Llanberis, I got a lift with friends down to Corwen, I think I hitched a lift into Llangollen, probably walked some of the way. Stopped there for eats and a pint or 2 and set out to hitch to Shrewsbury. 30 miles away. No one would give me a lift, it was Sunday night and I was booked into hospital Monday morning for a hernia repair. As I neared Shrewsbury a late night night driver stopped to give me a lift, it was only 3-4 miles, but he did tell me that a dangerous criminal was on the run and there was a nationwide search for him. I thanked him very much for stopping and he said the criminal was not likely to be walking with a full pack with climbing rope. I wished that there had been a few other drivers that night, who thought like him.
Anyway he was only able to drop me on the outskirts of the town and I had another 11 mile to go beyond. I cut a mile or two off by going across fields and dawn was breaking as I got home.
Had to go without breakfast as I was going to be under the knife later that day, full anaesthetic in those days, I'm not sure that they needed much to knock me out, I think I fell asleep in pre-op before they gave me any.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

harry_keogh

« Reply #48 on: 14:40:39, 18/11/19 »
To date, my longest 2 are these:

The Pendle Way
The Derwent Watershed

I'm not so sure I'd manage them now - I've felt a bit of deterioration in the last couple of years... my feet ache quicker now and my knees don't seem to last as long. Earlier this year I failed the Welsh 3000s with the whole of the Snowdon range still to do - whereas 2 years previous I managed the whole thing.

Alternatively it could simply be that I'm not walking quite as frequently and my legs aren't as conditioned as they used to be.

I'll be attempting the Welsh 3000s yet again next year as I refuse to let my last attempt be a failure - and I fancy giving the Derwent Watershed another go as it was probably one of my most memorable walks to date.

I can tell you what's even worse than walking 40 miles in a day...

Driving back home afterwards!

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 22:36:54, 18/11/19 »
My longest day walk ever was 24 miles - a sponsored walk for charity when I was still in junior school.

My longest walk as an adult was just over 20 miles - a variation of the Edale skyline.
***Happiness is only a smile away***

geekmoose

« Reply #50 on: 23:42:54, 28/11/19 »
19 miles from Long Mynd and then along Wenlock Edge one new years eve. Don't think it got much above freezing all day.

https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/4172573/Long-Mynd-Wenlock-Edge - Link to walk on OS Maps [nofollow]

Sonatine

« Reply #51 on: 09:45:01, 29/11/19 »
My longest was 30 miles, I took a train and walked home via a canal, so a flat walk on a hot day. It took me 12 hours with 2 hours of stops, so 3mph when walking. My feet were mashed, I lost a nail. I'm probably better at foot care now. Would like to try it again.

Doddy

« Reply #52 on: 10:42:24, 30/11/19 »
 On the old Crosses Walk in North Yorkshire I did 56 miles. I was in marathon training then so I ran the first 33 miles.I would have kept running but feared getting lost therefore I walked with a couple of others for a probably 18 or so miles before running the last bit -mainly to be able to get a shower (which was cold) and to the pub in Goathland. A few years back now. I think did it in about 11 hours. Quick shower and jog to pub.Keen to get back as did not want to walk in the dark when they grouped you up for safety.
I arrived at the pub five minutes before closing time and ordered a pint of bitter and a pint of Guiness. The barman looked over my shoulder and said "Where is your mate." I said "I have'nt got one both drinks are for me." I am now Teetotal.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 10:39:47, 01/12/19 »
Not certain what is the furthest I have walked in 24 hours.  I know we did 88 miles in 36 hours on leadership course in the Black mountains. I have a photo in my old album of the skipper awarding us a trophy for that one. I'm guessing 50+ miles.  I was young a fit then though.

I also managed Perth to JoG in one day.  Needed a push bike for that though, so it doesn't count. ;)

sherpaboy

« Reply #54 on: 09:35:07, 12/12/19 »
Longest was last friday, though unintentional. Caught the train to Ellesmere port, and walked down the Shropshire union canal to chester. Was told it was 8 miles, though it finished up nearer to 11.

silverfox

« Reply #55 on: 19:40:41, 12/12/19 »
45km on the first day of my camino. Felt like I could've gone on. Next day I wasn't to keen!

mow1701

« Reply #56 on: 21:51:51, 12/12/19 »
Did a 24 hours hiking competition where had to complete 45 miles. Managed to do it in 17 hours the 45 miles. On a more sensible multi day walk my upper limit is 20 miles, otherwise it turns into a chore and becomes “boring”

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 18:30:14, 26/12/19 »
The longest walk Ive done before a proper sleep was 145 miles on the Pennine way in January during permanent sub zero and snow cover conditions. I did have a two hour bivvy at the 50 mile point and arrived at the 145 mile point in Middleton in Teesdale after 82 hours starting in Edale, experiencing much sleep deprivation confusion and halucinations, after the 110 mile point.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 17:06:43, 27/12/19 »
Never in my wildest dreams would I think of doing that. I'm impressed though.

How are you with your medical problems, I hope you have made some progress?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy