Author Topic: Sleep system  (Read 2514 times)

and101

Sleep system
« on: 15:58:43, 11/05/19 »
Given the knowledge and experience that this forum appears to possess, I thought I'd ask this question.

What would you suggest as an ideal UK 4 season sleeping bag, taking into consideration the equipment triangle, cost-quality-weight?

I know summer is apparently on the way but I'll probably need to save for it anyway!

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: Sleep system
« Reply #1 on: 16:07:55, 11/05/19 »
There's not really any such thing as a 4 season bag. If it's warm enough for use in mid winter it will be too hot in the middle of summer, and vice-versa if it's comfortable in summer it won't be warm enough in winter.

When will you actually be camping? Are you really going to be sleeping outdoors in December?

What is your budget?

and101

« Reply #2 on: 17:04:24, 11/05/19 »

When will you actually be camping? Are you really going to be sleeping outdoors in December?

What is your budget?

Yes, I'm planning to sleep right through the year hopefully, including winter. Already sorted for late spring/summer but need something for the colder months. As for budget, I'm not wanting to spend over £300 really.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:21:39, 11/05/19 »
This is the bag I use https://rab.equipment/uk/sleeping-bags/sleeping-bags/ascent-500 They do make lighter high spec bags but they tend to be cut very narrow to keep the weight down and their expensive.

Mountain equipment and PHD also make really good bags but again expensive.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:22:58, 11/05/19 »
Given the knowledge and experience that this forum appears to possess, I thought I'd ask this question.

What would you suggest as an ideal UK 4 season sleeping bag, taking into consideration the equipment triangle, cost-quality-weight?

I know summer is apparently on the way but I'll probably need to save for it anyway!

Just remember that a sleeping bag only achieves it rated insulation (temperature ratings) when used in conjunction with a high R-rated sleep mat, and the occupant dressed in 'thermals'.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:09:49, 11/05/19 »
I love my Mountain Equipment Iceline. I've had it many many years and use it for virtually all my sleeping bag needs. Mid-February in a snowhole, March in a basha, both nice and toasty. Late August in the family tent - I use it as a duvet rather than a bag and its still fine.
The only thing I don't use it for is when I know it's going to get immersed (like on a watersports trip) or in the jungle. Then I use a synthetic one.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

and101

« Reply #6 on: 20:13:16, 11/05/19 »
I love my Mountain Equipment Iceline. I've had it many many years and use it for virtually all my sleeping bag needs.

Impressive bag considering the weight although I feel the price may be a little over my overdraft!!

Thanks all the same for the response.

and101

« Reply #7 on: 20:15:18, 11/05/19 »

Just remember that a sleeping bag only achieves it rated insulation (temperature ratings) when used in conjunction with a high R-rated sleep mat, and the occupant dressed in 'thermals'.

I do pack thermals for some hikes but must admit to not knowing the r rating of my mat combo although I doubt it is good lol  :-[

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:04:51, 11/05/19 »
Impressive bag considering the weight although I feel the price may be a little over my overdraft!!
Ouch! Just checked the current price. When I got mine it was £280, but then that was over 15 years ago.
I wonder how much they've upped the quality and how much its just inflation?
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Gadabout Bounder

« Reply #9 on: 22:24:50, 11/05/19 »
On a budget there are plenty of good quality used sleeping bags on Ebay.

For instance - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rab-Atlas-750-Down-Sleeping-Bag/143240361581?hash=item2159ca766d:g:icMAAOSwMvJczyT~

If I was buying another sleeping bag that would be my preference - with some Nikwax Down Wash & then Nikwash Down Proof.

'We've spilt the same blood in the same mud'

and101

« Reply #10 on: 22:25:24, 11/05/19 »
Ouch! Just checked the current price. When I got mine it was £280, but then that was over 15 years ago.
I wonder how much they've upped the quality and how much its just inflation?

Quality is worth paying for but I think inflation and popularity may have upped the price somewhat!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:38:42, 11/05/19 »

Quality is worth paying for but I think inflation and popularity may have upped the price somewhat!
Allowing for inflation alone, £280 in 2004 would be about £422 now
https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:53:01, 12/05/19 »
I agree with Alan. I would buy mattress first, then sleeping bag. The mattress to stop the cold coming up from the ground (and to sleep comfortably of course) and then to choose between sleeping bag, or sleeping quilt. For my part, I use a sleeping quilt.

As regard thermals, I use them, my top is one of my two baselayers which I carry. My clean clothes changing point on each day is in the early evening after I pitch my tent and after my shower. My 'thermal' bottoms are a cosy comfortable and loose pair of 'fluffy' trousers from Decathlon, £7.99.

I've also learned that the heat retaining qualities a sleeping bag or quilt can be improved by using the same method that I use for keeping warm in the day, layers! I nowadays always carry a 3' x 3' square of Decathlon blanket, (£5.99, the same 'fluffy material as my 'thermal' bottoms) with me just to throw over my torso if it's really cold, my lower leg and feet area is fine. The blanket works either on the top of my quilt or between me and the quilt. When I can find one I'm going to get a 3' x 3' down blanket to replace it.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:57:50, 12/05/19 »
Once the
Op has purchased his 'mat' then he could get one of the cheap (£9.99) Summer (1-season) rated sleeping bags (or even 2 of them) use it/them and take the next few months saving up for a quality 'winter grade' sleeping bag.

Depending on where you are planning to spend the Winter, something like the OEX Helios Hydrodown may do at around £129

Comfort Temperature:   3
Limit Temperature:   -3
Extreme Temperature:   -19
Season:   3 Season
Shape:   Mummy
Unpacked Size (cm):   220 x 78cm
Fill Power:   600
Weight    Fill Weight 300g/m²  Total weight 750g
Insulation Type:   Down
Packed Size:   17 x 15cm
Recommended Use:   Backpacking, Expedition, Touring

and101

« Reply #14 on: 11:45:02, 12/05/19 »
Once the
Op has purchased his 'mat' then he could get one of the cheap (£9.99) Summer (1-season) rated sleeping bags (or even 2 of them) use it/them and take the next few months saving up for a quality 'winter grade' sleeping bag.

Depending on where you are planning to spend the Winter, something like the OEX Helios Hydrodown may do at around £129

Thanks for the suggestion alan de enfield .  

I'm currently struggling with a Snugoak Elite 4 and by struggling I mean with the compressed size and not with the weight (1900g) or performance. Really like the warmth, shape and ease of use for this bag and as I'm a side sleeper, I tend to sleep more in an 'S' shape so I can shorten the bag to increase the warmth with the clips.

It would appear that the OEX bag could give similar performance for a lighter weight plus being down it should pack down slightly smaller (than my snugpak at 28 x 24cm)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy