Author Topic: Welcome to WalkingForum.co.uk - Please read  (Read 337651 times)

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
Re: Welcome to WalkingForum.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: 20:13:26, 11/05/07 »
Aye, it was certainly one of those things that you couldn't have expected, could have been a lot worse, pal  :-\

Maybe this is a good time for you to write up some of the route reports you've been promising ...  ;)

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 12:12:41, 12/05/07 »
Mr B

Good point, i shall get to over the next few days  ;)
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

JohnH

« Reply #32 on: 15:18:21, 12/06/07 »
Hello

new here, looking for people to go walking with in Aberdeenshire / Cairngorms etc

Wanting a few trips out for my ML award, so anyone welcome, 1-2 people probably best, simple leading etc

Thanks, post back here if keen

John

Sheila Gard

« Reply #33 on: 09:15:41, 26/06/07 »
Hi Chris

I am lucky enough to live in Axarquia Southern Spain and now have time to enjoy walking. I used to work for an American Financial Services company in the city of London and didn't have time to do much other than work.
However I "retired" at 50 and now am really enjoying life. I am now amazingly fit and can walk a long way but still something of a novice.
Best Regards

Sheila

Feriol

« Reply #34 on: 23:08:36, 01/08/07 »
Hi All.

I Searched for walking forums on google, looking for advice for my first LDP (See the hadrians wall thread)
 My Walking experience generally involves exploring national parks, particularly the Breacon Beacons and Snowdonia.

My most challenging experience was an SAS Challenge. My Brother is in the army, (not the SAS) and one trip, we past the SAS truck at the storey arms, my brother, in all his army gear, naturally salluted the officer, and got speaking. The officer asked if we fancied a challenge, and we ended up running up and down the mountains to check points, just like the SAS were. trying to meet the deadlines. Very hard but i'm quite proud that we only missed the final check point by 40 Minutes. though i couldn't walk properly for days after!!

Most amazing sight, is torn between looking down on an amazing (and frightning) lightning storm from the top of snowdon, and seeing a herd (?) of wild horses appear in front of me, out of the early morning mist somewhere on the breacon beacons.

I Like to take advantage of the peace i find while walking to write poetry. I Love walking, and my goal now is to explore some more of our beatiful country.

I Look forward to benifiting from and sharing your experiences, hearing someone enthusiastically relate their experiences is almost as fun, as having your own..

-Martin
sun dogs fire on the horizon
meteor rain stars across the night
this moment may be brief
but it can be so bright
(Rush - Chain Lightning)

quidditys_shore

« Reply #35 on: 11:54:56, 21/08/07 »
Hello everyone!  :D

I'm just about to get into walking again. got sick of waiting for friends & family promising they want to do it so i'm setting out on my own, for now! amazingly all the gear I last used when I was doing D of E when I was 12 (now...30  :-\ ) is still in good nick! Feet still same size so boots need breaking in again, cobmaster sleeping bag still good (just needs airing!) outbound rucksack (think about 80LTR) and snowdon freeman tent tiptop! though needs airing too! (is 4kg ok for a tent?)

Snowman

« Reply #36 on: 11:24:57, 22/08/07 »
Welcome QS (can't write all that out).

Regarding your tent, the trouble is that the technology that goes into walking gear is changing all the time, so a 4 Kg tent is now super heavy (I assume you're talking about a 2 man tent?).    Mine's a Hilleberg at 2.1 kg which about 5 years ago was the D's B's, but by comparison to some newer tents that's rather on the heavy side.   But bearing in mind that when I was a lad, a two man tent was made of canvas with wooden poles, yours is a lightweight.

The problem is that there comes a point where upgrading to the latest technology is not really cost effective.    I could probably upgrade quite a bit of my gear, but unless the return is significant I don't intend to.

S.

peter60

« Reply #37 on: 09:25:42, 03/09/07 »
Hi everyone. I'm Peter from Worcestershire. Devotee of a few other walking forums but happy to squeeze one more in!  ;)

I am passionate about walking locally and finding the best of what's available on your own doorstep (which is surprisingly good in North Worcestershire). I also like walking in Snowdonia.

I also share my walks by making them available on-line. I love to explore new routes and enjoy navigating with map and compass.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 12:49:47, 03/09/07 »
Hi Peter,

Welcome to the forum, mate  ;)

When you say you make your walks available online, do you mean you contribute to WalkingBritain? I've just looked at the site and it doesn't seem to offer much for Yorkshire (wasn't even registered in the counties  :()

Keep it coming, pal

peter60

« Reply #39 on: 14:22:51, 03/09/07 »
Thanks Mr B. Yes, I am a regular contributor of walks to WB. There is an extensive list of Yorkshire Walks, only they're filed under the county of "North Yorkshire": http://www.walkingbritain.co.uk/walks/walks/walk_list/North_Yorkshire/ and North York Moors: http://www.walkingbritain.co.uk/walks/walks/walk_list/North_York_Moors/.

You can also check out Bradford, Barnsley, Kirklees, and Redcar and Cleveland under the counties/areas list.

My contributions are largely in Worcestershire (as you'd expect) and Shropshire.

« Last Edit: 14:42:46, 03/09/07 by peter60 »

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 14:38:24, 03/09/07 »
Plonker, aren't I! How did I miss that? I'll go back and have another look.

Cheers  :)

si

« Reply #41 on: 11:50:43, 17/09/07 »
Hi all
New here but looks just what we(lucy,si ) have been looking for O0,is this one of the main walking forums?as it looks spot on.

Feriol

« Reply #42 on: 16:30:42, 17/09/07 »
Hi all
New here but looks just what we(lucy,si ) have been looking for O0,is this one of the main walking forums?as it looks spot on.

Hi Lucy. Welcome.

I Don't know about 'Main walking forum' or how you would define that, but i'm sure you will get any help you need here, and enjoy it too. I look forward to your contributions. :)
sun dogs fire on the horizon
meteor rain stars across the night
this moment may be brief
but it can be so bright
(Rush - Chain Lightning)

gallusimpudicus

« Reply #43 on: 01:11:52, 21/09/07 »
Hey guys!
New to this forum but it looks great and there's loads of information about places I've never walked. Brilliant! I know that there are restrictions about posting website links here, but there's route-sharing site I post to all the time and reckon the forum would benefit from knowing about it. Do admin think i would it be ok to post links to some of my routes? If so, where shOuld I post them?

Just back from a weekend in the Southern part of Snowdonia! What a gem it is!

GI

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 07:45:22, 21/09/07 »
Do admin think i would it be ok to post links to some of my routes? If so, where shOuld I post them?
GI

Alright Gi,

Well I for one would quite like to see these routes, and generally it's ok to post links.  The best place would probably be in the regions section, under whatever part of the country the walk is in  ;).

Welcome to the forum, pal.  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy