Author Topic: Personal Locator devices...  (Read 694 times)

JazzMan2018

Personal Locator devices...
« on: 20:55:29, 08/10/20 »
Hi,

Didn't exist back in the day, but was looking into these in case I have a serious injury etc while in the middle of nowhere

Does anyone have any recommendations? Nothing fancy - just the ability to summon rescue services or maybe keep in basic contact with home eg gps co-ordinates or a simple message

The ones I have seen require a subscription. Would settle for having just the rescue element if  it meant I'm not committed to a monthly cost

Thanks in advance!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Personal Locator devices...
« Reply #1 on: 21:04:47, 08/10/20 »
Are you aware of https://www.emergencysms.net/?
Free but needs an sms signal - but not much of one.  It is sensible for any walker to register their phone.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:23:35, 08/10/20 »
I have a Pebbell alarm which I carry with me, if I press the large button for 3 seconds it connects me to two chosen people, my wife and my son. It uses a PAYG sim card. I've never had to use it yet but maybe one day? It automatically alerts my wife and son by a text message and identifies the coordinates as to where I am. I bought it when it was a reasonable price, they seem to be more expensive now.

I also have an app on my phone called 'Real Time GPS Tracker 2' (I use the free version) which my wife used to track me across the Pyrenees in 2015. As I get older I'm thinking of switching it on every time I go out for a run, 'just in case.' She can track me on her laptop. I'm sure there are other apps like it.

JazzMan2018

« Reply #3 on: 21:29:10, 08/10/20 »
Hi

Thanks - both seem really good options - I'm also interested in devices that don't need a phone signal as many places I have been to or would like to don't seem to have coverage

Ta

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:39:57, 08/10/20 »
Hi

Thanks - both seem really good options - I'm also interested in devices that don't need a phone signal as many places I have been to or would like to don't seem to have coverage

Ta
That is a snag but you would be surprised how many places that apparently don't have a phone signal actually do, at least to the point where an sms can get through.  It only needs a fleeting connection and the phone should keep trying.  There are apps that can you give you a grid ref as well that you can add to the message.  Anything that works without a phone signal will need a satellite connection to pass the message - I'm afraid that will usually cost money, rockets don't come cheap :-)
Solvitur Ambulando

Apache

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: 07:30:39, 09/10/20 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:40:11, 09/10/20 »
When I travelled on small boats and worked in remote locations I was issued with a McMurdo Fastfind Personal Locator Beacon, which works via satellite and also transmits a homing radio signal.

https://www.marinesuperstore.com/safety-beacons/plb-ais/mcmurdo-fastfind-220-gps-plb?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=pcn&utm_term=99336769&utm_campaign=MSS&gclid=CjwKCAjwlID8BRAFEiwAnUoK1c-0uR4WryA7dpJkBxCdkP_xW5FT3Fat1KXTYDEoLWAkrw4hhXDsOhoCW-YQAvD_BwE
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:03:43, 09/10/20 »
The one I carry is Ocean Signal RescueMe PLB1. It is a one-off purchase: no subscription fee and a (non-replaceable) battery that lasts 7 years. The only thing it can do is send an SOS signal to emergency services and nothing else, but that is all I need.

So at the £190 I paid for it, it is basically an "insurance" that costs me £190/7=£27 per year to give me an improved chance of survival, provided that I can still press the "Rescue Me" button. For pure rescue the sytem it uses is the most reliable system out there because it uses a dedicated search&rescue satellite network and with the received signal alone they can already triangulate your position, in case the built-in GPS doesn't manage to lock. This is not possible with systems based on satellite phone.

An the other hand, systems that regularly transmit your position (these require subscription) can be better should you get an accident where you are not able to press an SOS button. They can then go to the last known position and start searching from there.

« Last Edit: 13:08:09, 09/10/20 by Birdman »
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

JazzMan2018

« Reply #8 on: 21:22:21, 11/10/20 »
Hi,

Thanks everyone for the replies

Seems I can buy something for a 'one-off' price as long as it really is for emergency use and not just to let friends/family know where I am and that I am ok

Cheers

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy