Author Topic: TR Rosthwaite to Keswick via Watendlath Sat 8 Dec 18  (Read 1543 times)

April

• Veteran Member
It was a bit of a rubbish weather day again on Saturday with rain and gale force winds forecast on the fells. We chose a low level walk from Rosthwaite with the option to cut it short if we wanted to.

On the way up Puddingstone Bank

It was drizzling on and off but the wind wasn't too strong.

The view looking back toward Glaramara and a cloud covered Great Gable

Beefy and Squeaky on the way to Watendlath

We were going at Squeaky speed again  :)

Great Crag from Puddingstone Bank

The wind was at its strongest here but we were sheltered again once we started descending to Watendlath

Watendlath Tarn from near the packhorse bridge

Herdwicks congregating at a gate

Beefy and Squeaky on the path to Moss Mire

The weather got worse as we walked along by Watendlath Beck. The rain got heavier and the cloud lowered. We stopped for some lunch under some trees near Moss Mire. Despite the worsening conditions we decided to carry on walking to Keswick. I didn't take any more photos; it was raining too much. Our route was Rosthwaite - Puddingstone Bank - Watendlath - Moss Mire - Ashness Bridge - Borrowdale Road footpath - Keswick, 12km with 381m ascent. We still enjoyed our walk despite the grim weather and Squeaky gave us a good workout. The building at Ashness Bridge seems to have been turned into a little refuge for walkers to sit by the fire and have tea and coffee. I think the sign outside said National Trust Info point or something. There was a very friendly chap in there offering everyone tea and coffee and a warm  O0 We had to catch our bus or we might have took him up on his offer.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Rosthwaite to Keswick via Watendlath Sat 8 Dec 18
« Reply #1 on: 19:02:18, 11/12/18 »
Great pics Ape O0
Not a bad day considering the weather
The place at ashness would make a nice little bothy  ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:04:37, 11/12/18 »
I somehow don't think the National Trust will agree  :)
Hate will never win

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:18:02, 11/12/18 »
Great pics April, really like Borrowdale from there O0

wombat

« Reply #4 on: 19:52:26, 11/12/18 »
Exxcellent trip report and photos. Did the same walk in november in similar conditions and the hut at ashness was a most welcome break (no toilets though  :-[ ).Intend doing it again but via Walla crag, weather permitting, lol

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 07:14:45, 12/12/18 »
Lovely photos. Still a little Autumn colour around O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:27:19, 12/12/18 »
I think April has a game where she always puts in a name I've not heard of but sometimes it is a real place and sometimes she just makes it up. Either way it gets me looking at a map.
Todays place is  Puddingstone Bank.

Lovely photos April  O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:34:26, 12/12/18 »
Thanks henry, wombat and sunnydale  O0
I think April has a game where she always puts in a name I've not heard of but sometimes it is a real place and sometimes she just makes it up.

;D Thanks Ridge  :)

Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:57:35, 12/12/18 »
Lovely pics from a nice route April O0
Just goes to show you don't always have to go high to have a good day out :)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:36:45, 12/12/18 »
Nice TR April - I'm staying up in Seatoller on Saturday, and you've given me a couple of ideas there if the weather turns out to be as bad as current forecasts suggest!

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:29:16, 12/12/18 »
Great use of a day in those conditions, there are plenty of good low-level walks in the Lakes.
I don't recall the National Trust info point but it was somewhere near Watendlath where we met one of their roving recruitment vehicles and joined the NT.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:47:34, 13/12/18 »
Thanks Karl and pdstsp  :) The weather doesn't look very good this weekend does it?  :( I hope you enjoy it anyway pdstsp, there might be some snow!

I don't recall the National Trust info point but it was somewhere near Watendlath where we met one of their roving recruitment vehicles and joined the NT.

It is the building just past Ashness Bridge. It was a scout hut until recently. I had always thought it belonged to the Climbing Hut peeps but the NT bloke said it had belonged to the scouts.
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:14:21, 13/12/18 »
Thanks Karl and pdstsp  :) The weather doesn't look very good this weekend does it?  :( I hope you enjoy it anyway pdstsp, there might be some snow!

Thanks April -  here's an extract from the Met Office mountain forecast for the lakes on Saturday - I wonder if there is anything else which might fall from the sky other than the rain, sleet, snow and freezing rain!

Current thoughts have cloud building from west bringing patchy light snow early morning. Mainly dry with some brighter spells late morning and early afternoon, then snow, sleet, rain and freezing rain crossing from the west during the late afternoon and evening, with extensive hill fog and severe chill effect in the strong winds.  

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:32:42, 13/12/18 »
Did you let squeaky off the lead?
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:20:14, 13/12/18 »
I wonder if there is anything else which might fall from the sky other than the rain, sleet, snow and freezing rain!

It does look grim  :(

Did you let squeaky off the lead?

No. She can't be trusted around anything that moves  :) Around sheep she has to be kept on a short lead, if they start moving she wants to chase them.
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy