Author Topic: Snowdonia  (Read 2129 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Snowdonia
« Reply #15 on: 19:51:46, 07/08/19 »
Map and compass on mountains. Always. :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #16 on: 20:23:15, 08/08/19 »
Yes to map and compass. A common error when descending mountains is to take the wrong path down so you don't end up back at where you've left your car, e.g setting off down from Snowdon for Llanberis but then taking the Snowdon Ranger path down to Rhyd Ddu. Even if your compass skills are rudimentary you need at least to be able to get the broadly correct direction of travel. Even more important of course if visibility is poor on a summit.
Dave

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 20:57:28, 08/08/19 »
Yes to map and compass. A common error when descending mountains is to take the wrong path down so you don't end up back at where you've left your car, e.g setting off down from Snowdon for Llanberis but then taking the Snowdon Ranger path down to Rhyd Ddu. Even if your compass skills are rudimentary you need at least to be able to get the broadly correct direction of travel. Even more important of course if visibility is poor on a summit.
Dave

Young Andy at work, did exactly that three weeks ago, with his mates.  To think I recommend they try Crib Goch, if the weather was good.   In their defence they where all from a boxing club, not mountaineers..

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 21:47:59, 08/08/19 »
Many years ago when on the Horseshoe we met a couple of lads descending close to the summit of Garnedd   Ugain. They asked if they were on the Pyg Track, as they were intending to descend this, having walked to Snowdon summit from Llanberis. Their only ‘map’ was a plasticised card (about A6 size) showing a black outline of Snowdon and a thick red line for the path. Somehow they had missed the standing stone at Bwlch Glas and the hundreds of scouts in bright orange waterproofs having their photo taken in the mist. I wouldn’t venture high in the hills without a map and compass and some knowledge of how to use them. Those guys were poorly equipped and dressed for the hill and lucky they had us to redirect them.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 21:50:21, 08/08/19 »
Yes to map and compass. A common error when descending mountains is to take the wrong path down so you don't end up back at where you've left your car...

I remember camping at Wasdale Head with my university mountaineering club - 2 of my friends were a bit inattentive coming off Scafell in the mist, and ended up in Eskdale!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 09:38:29, 09/08/19 »
That's why my gps has an off route alarm!
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 09:42:39, 09/08/19 »
There are currently a few reports in Grough telling of people with no map or compass being rescued:
https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/
I hope the OP takes note.

Miles Prower

« Reply #22 on: 09:43:09, 09/08/19 »
That's why my gps has an off route alarm!

Which gps are you using and any issues with that? 

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 09:58:16, 09/08/19 »

Which gps are you using and any issues with that?
Garmin Etrex 30 in my case.  The off course alarm can be set up through the maritime menu and the distance off course before the alarm is triggered set.  Mine is normally set at 100m.  Of course it will only work if you are following a pre-plotted route.
The ViewRanger app can also warn you if you are off course.  It can be set up in the Navigation menu - see Off Route (XTE) alarm.
Not sure what you mean by issues.
Solvitur Ambulando

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 13:04:18, 09/08/19 »
It's clear he meant NOT go up without map and compass!

And regarding the ability to use them, last summer I lent one of my adult sons my 1:25k Snowdon map, he got himself a compass, and I additionally showed him how to use an app on his phone.
Off he went up to Dulyn Reservoir and then to Cwm Eigiau to look at aeroplane crash sites.
For the first site he only had to follow the track from where you park up to Melynllyn Reservoir and then a path up to Dulyn, while there's a clear track and path as far as the old mine workings in the cwm, but he got less than halfway to either of them.
I'm ashamed to admit that he didn't have a clue how to use any of the aids.
I've had sleepless nights over this, where did I go wrong as a father?
This sounds familiar! Our kids were not into walking when younger, now they’re adults they’re more keen, but not necessarily ready to take our advice! My son and fiancee had a few days in the Lakes last year and asked if we could suggest any short low level walks about 3-4 miles. They were staying near Windermere so we sent some easy routes near there and said that we could suggest longer, higher routes but they would need map and compass etc.  No they said, they wouldn’t be doing anything like that. When they came back they’d walked up Helvellyn using their phones for navigation. We were horrified! I suppose we should be thankful they had walking shoes on and took water and waterproofs! You can guess what we got them for Christmas.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 14:36:24, 09/08/19 »
Garmin Etrex 30 in my case.  The off course alarm can be set up through the maritime menu and the distance off course before the alarm is triggered set.  Mine is normally set at 100m.

Nice one Ninthace O0  It turns out that my Dakota 20 does that too. Duly set!  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy