Author Topic: TR - Pennine Way  (Read 12969 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Pennine Way
« Reply #105 on: 20:30:57, 18/09/20 »

The journey home
The next day we were waiting at the bus stop in Town Yetholm when a couple came out of a house opposite and asked us if we wanted a lift to Keld which was hugely generous of them. The night before we had convinced Paul and Charlie that they would be OK getting on the same bus as us to make the connections to the train we were all getting from Barrow. I think they were a bit surprised when we didn't get on it at our stop but we met up in Keld and travelled on to Barrow together before saying our goodbyes as we were all booked seats in different parts of the train.

Conclusion
I was going to try to come up with a list of things we had learned which may be useful for others but pretty much everything went to plan.

I put a list of all the accommodation we used earlier in the thread and if anyone has any questions about that or anything else then you can either post or PM me.
Speaking of accommodation Forest View in Byrness is on the market. It will need someone special to take it on but, for the right person, there is a really good business here. As PW walkers we also have a vested interest in finding a new owner as it would make the last sections of the PW a very different proposition if Forest View closed.

Most of the route is well signed but it is not consistent so you do have to keep an eye on it.
We navigated using the two AtoZ guides which have all the OS maps of the route though, annoyingly, the two books work in different directions so whether you are going north - south or south - north you have to start turning the pages in the opposite direction half way. We also took my ancient gps and used it twice to give us an accurate location. My son was recording the trip on Strava so, if he had connection, we could look at this to see if we were on the PW path, though it showed little else it was good for confirmation that we were still on route. We had with us the Trailblazer guide which we would read in the evening as we went through the route for the next day but didn't use on the trail.

It was interesting to see how all the different places we stayed and ate and drank dealt with the covid situation. I do wonder if we missed out on meeting more people because of this.

We had an absolutely wonderful time, it was great. I can not recommend it enough to anyone.

While originally, 4 years ago, we were just walking the Pennine Way because we wanted to we, or to be more accurate our friends and family, have raised £2328 for the Teenage Cancer Trust.

« Last Edit: 07:17:20, 19/09/20 by Ridge »

Little Foot

« Reply #106 on: 11:19:38, 19/09/20 »
Really enjoyed reading your report this morning. Thanks for taking the time to write it up and post the great photos.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #107 on: 13:54:38, 19/09/20 »
Enjoyed that ridge .... Finally got around to reading about your trip.
How's the boots?

Warbler

« Reply #108 on: 14:47:26, 19/09/20 »
Well done both of you - on the walk and the fundraising.

And thanks for sharing the journey with us  O0

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #109 on: 15:36:34, 19/09/20 »
How's the boots?
Replacements will have to be purchased but they held together for me to the end and have been out for a couple of gentle strolls since.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #110 on: 17:45:27, 19/09/20 »
Excellent stuff, an experience that you and your son will remember for the rest of your lives.  O0
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Brandywell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #111 on: 18:26:50, 19/09/20 »
Excellent trip report Ridge O0 .  An extraordinary achievement during these difficult times, well done. :)
Watch where you are putting your feet : AW

emdaw

« Reply #112 on: 18:27:53, 19/09/20 »
Excellent report enjoyed reading it, some useful tips as well for our PW. Well done both of you, nice to see you reached the target, a worthy cause. It was also nice to meet you en route and have a brief chat. What a great forum this is  O0 :) O0

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #113 on: 18:41:27, 19/09/20 »
Thanks all.
I enjoyed writing the report, it helped me get my memories in order.
Richard, I will definitely always remember it.
Emdaw, it was lovely to meet you too. I hope you get to do it next year.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #114 on: 15:35:34, 20/09/20 »
Just read the last of your great reports Ridge. Something you will always remember. We made up a photo book with a few photos from each day along with comments I had posted on my facebook blog.

The photo at the Border Hotel, is that now a thing to leave your boots behind? There’s a good few there and I’ve noticed that in other peoples photos. I’m sure there weren't any there 4 years ago when we did the PW.

We stayed at several of your accommodations. As well as Miresfield Farm, we stayed at Sunfield Diggle, Brow Farm Dufton, Greenhead Hotel and of course, Forest View. We also had a note on the door at Brow Farm to let ourselves in and it was a couple of hours before anyone turned up.

Amazing how we all think the Schil is the last big hill!  ;D

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #115 on: 17:55:33, 20/09/20 »
Just caught up with your last few days  :)

Fantastic shots on the border ridge, it really is a special place and I am pleased you got to see some of it at its best  O0
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #116 on: 19:12:04, 20/09/20 »
Just read the last of your great reports Ridge. Something you will always remember. We made up a photo book with a few photos from each day along with comments I had posted on my facebook blog.
Thanks RR. Plans are already afoot for a book.

The photo at the Border Hotel, is that now a thing to leave your boots behind? There’s a good few there and I’ve noticed that in other peoples photos. I’m sure there weren't any there 4 years ago when we did the PW.
It appears to be a thing though what do you then wear on your feet to get home? The barman said that they regularly throw away the nastiest pairs when they begin to decompose.

Just caught up with your last few days  :)

Fantastic shots on the border ridge, it really is a special place and I am pleased you got to see some of it at its best  O0
I don't mind a bit of dramatic weather, we saw it at both its bests.

I've just been sending a message on my phone, I typed 'meeting' and my predictive text offered 'Squeaky' for the next word.  ;D

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #117 on: 19:33:00, 20/09/20 »
What a fantastic record of your trip...I'm exhausted just reading it well done to you both O0

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #118 on: 22:16:46, 20/09/20 »
Thanks Karl. Loved walking it.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #119 on: 18:54:38, 22/09/20 »
I've just been sending a message on my phone, I typed 'meeting' and my predictive text offered 'Squeaky' for the next word.  ;D

;D
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy