Author Topic: Charity walk from Wakefield to london - pls help  (Read 1077 times)

Tino

Hi all,

My wife is currently battling cancer and I am undertaking a walk from Wakefield to London early in May and as I am not a regular distance walker this will be a huge task for me and my friend. I am therefore looking for any advise that you may be able to offer.

The walk will be spread over 5 days and we plan to cover approx 37 miles each day.

My basic level of fitness is good as I regularly go out running and have done half marathons etc, however I fully appreciate that walking is different to running and so will be a tough challenge for us.

The walk will be mainly on pavements etc and we don’t plan to go off road.

Was thinking of wearing trainers rather than boots?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tino

MarkT

Re: Charity walk from Wakefield to london - pls help
« Reply #1 on: 20:39:45, 04/03/19 »
I wish you all the best but 37 miles a day is a lot even for regular walkers.

As for wearing trainers, I personally wouldn't especially over the distance you are talking about. I would prefer to wear something more sturdy and even though you say you are not going off road, I would still recommend a good sturdy pair of walking shoes or boots.

Get used to doing that kind of distance in one day, I'm a regular weekend walker, usually covering 20 miles in a day but once did 26 miles.  After 8 hours I was pretty exhausted and the next morning, boy did I ache. Knowing I had to do another 30 odd miles for the next 4 days would make me think again and wander if I was being a bit too ambitious, however you know your own body and limits

Does all depend how much gear you are carrying, are you carrying everything including tents and food or will you be using a support vehicle to carry your load or staying in B&B's etc to lighten your pack?

Good luck though

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:39:11, 05/03/19 »
I would say that distance in that timescale is nigh on impossible. Can you walk 12 hours a day non stop every day. Plus breaks, bumping it up to 14 hours. Will you have a back up vehicle, a van to sleep in? If not you have to factor in time to get to a B & B, evening meal and breakfast. Will you have rucksacks to carry?

I have walked average 20 miles a day for 7 days, 162 miles in 9 days, but it knackers me. Blisters and muscle ache will slow you down. You will want to crawl into a ditch and curl up and die.

Good luck with it, but I suggest you double the time to ten days. Oh, and boots are best, not trainers. Buy them now and wear them every day until you do the walk.

ilona

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:03:43, 05/03/19 »
 If you are a runner its going to be best to mix running and walking rather than trying to walk the entire distance.Using this method it should be possible to cover the 37 miles in around 8 hours and that is going at a very steady pace rather than pushing things.This will allow you around 16 hours a day for recovery.In my running days I did a 32 miler on the road on Sunday mornings and covered the distance in under five hours and still had enough energy left to walk around the town in the afternoon or go for a short run in the evening.Keep the running going but do at least three walking sessions a week,say ten miles in an evening and then do a thirty miler at weekends mixing running and walking.Try not to push too hard as you are going for time on your feet rather than pure speed.One speed session a week will keep you sharp,say 12 x 400 meters at 95% maximum heart rate.
 High quality running shoes would probably be best if you are staying on tarmac.Oh,and you will be knackered at times and its going to hurt but that is what ultras are all about,ie,pushing yourself to a level that you didn't think was possible.

Tino

« Reply #4 on: 09:17:20, 06/03/19 »
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Yes this will be extremely tough we know but as it’s for funds for my wife’s illness I’m gonna give it my all.

We have set a route out with the aim of getting to bed and breakfasts etc. However we are also carrying a lightweight one man tent each in case of an emergency.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:37:22, 06/03/19 »
Tino, I wish you all the best with this. You are right it will be extremely tough but you also have to be sure it is possible.

On Friday walk 12 miles after work, then on Saturday and Sunday walk 37 miles each day. If on Monday morning you can get up and walk 8 miles before going to work then you will at least know that you have a chance of doing the whole walk.

If at all possible ditch the tent, sleeping bag, mat etc. they are heavy even if they are light. Take your phone and a power pack and, in extremis, call a cab to take you to civilization.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:47:05, 06/03/19 »
From someone who likes to cover at least 40 mile a day on multi day routes, I think you will struggle to maintain that day in day out, being a long distance novice. It is particularly hard on the feet and legs if keeping to roads. you will definately need good supportive well cushioned walking shoes or trainers. blisters will be a reality so go online and search for foot taping methods and get some good tape. Remove any hard skin from your feet especially at the heels, side of outer toes and tor tips, cut toe nails. Try to keep the feet dry. Set your goal as you have - London, but just aim to get as far as you can so that if you have to end your challenge earlier, you are not too dissapointed. It's about having a go, the journey is as much, if not more, than the destination. Good luck.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy