Author Topic: Friendly UK animals encountered whilst out walking.  (Read 2441 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
I'm noticing a little paranoia re animal encounters, that I struggle to relate to if i'm honest.

Thought we could do with a little positivity, to give our UK Animals a chance to redeem their image.

So here are just a few taken in the past week to kick off.

This little one lives in a field close to our house.

This not so little one was happy to pose for pictures on our walk near Meldon Quary.

And Finally for now.  I met this friendly bunch in the middle of a well trodden path near Kitty tor on Dartmoor just yesterday.  I would add that there where just as many behind me as in front and they really did not appear to care that I was there.

Any one else care to share their friendly animal stories..

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
Re: Friendly UK animals encountered whilst out walking.
« Reply #1 on: 13:53:33, 01/06/20 »
Friend's Father came out his garage and saw a black bear about 15 feet away.  Though not a problem as it is not unusual.  Then he noticed it had cubs.  He sat in the garage for the next two hours till they went away.

I saw a shark, about 4 foot long, made me a faster swimmer than Micheal Phelps and a small 'pouch' than Thoma Daley.  There had never, ever been a recorded shark attack on the island I lived on.
Saw a lone barracuda some out the murk after a storm, that was really scary as I was on the ocean side of it and had to just wait it out till it went away.  There had been several barracuda attacks, luckily they are the Atlantic ones, so not too bad, unlike the Pacific ones which can really bite a large chunk out of someone.
« Last Edit: 14:01:00, 01/06/20 by SteamyTea »
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:03:11, 01/06/20 »
Friend's Father came out his garage and saw a black bear about 15 feet away.  Though not a problem as it is not unusual.  Then he noticed it had cubs.  He sat in the garage for the next two hours till they went away.

I saw a shark, about 4 foot long, made me a faster swimmer than Micheal Phelps and a small 'pouch' than Thoma Daley.  There had never, ever been a recorded shark attack on the island I lived on.
Saw a lone barracuda some out the murk after a storm, that was really scary as I was on the ocean side of it and had to just wait it out till it went away.  There had been several barracuda attacks, luckily they are the Atlantic ones, so not too bad, unlike the Pacific ones which can really bite a large chunk out of someone.
Which part of the UK was this? ;)

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:09:51, 01/06/20 »
Which part of the UK was this? ;)
Black bear was in Canada, pre 1976, was that was UK.
my incidences were on a Dutch island, so at least EU, which the UK is still part of.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:15:47, 01/06/20 »
Black bear was in Canada, pre 1976, was that was UK.
my incidences were on a Dutch island, so at least EU, which the UK is still part of.
Well as long as they were friendly enjoyable encounters, that is what really counts in this thread. O0

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:24:35, 01/06/20 »
I think that all the animals we've encountered on the other side of fences have been friendly.  ;)

(Oh, the bravery of being out of range...)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:44:38, 01/06/20 »
I think that all the animals we've encountered on the other side of fences have been friendly.  ;)

(Oh, the bravery of being out of range...)

He was a big fella.  ;) 

I did find myself stood just a few feet from a bull amongst a herd on Bodmin moor, a little while back.  It was pea soup fog that day., I would never deliberately walk into such a position.  Again on that occasion they all simply ignored me.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:54:59, 01/06/20 »
Coming off the North Pennines once, the only gate was guarded by cows and calves that seemed disinclined to move so I had to push my way through.  In the middle was a bull that could have been the brother of that one.  Lovely old fellow presumably with his mind on other things rather than giving walkers a hard time.
Solvitur Ambulando

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:26:03, 01/06/20 »

He was a big fella.  ;) 

I did find myself stood just a few feet from a bull amongst a herd on Bodmin moor, a little while back.  It was pea soup fog that day., I would never deliberately walk into such a position.  Again on that occasion they all simply ignored me.

...and is that the shadow of a fence in the first photo?  ;)

(Don't get me wrong - fences are a Good Thing.)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:41:13, 01/06/20 »
...and is that the shadow of a fence in the first photo?  ;)

(Don't get me wrong - fences are a Good Thing.)

Just for you Dave. This one from a few days earlier. No fences, on that occasion  ;) 

I agree though. Nothing wrong with fences in the right place.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:15:46, 01/06/20 »

This fella was extremely friendly . I am not sure if he could see me though . (no fences )  O0

I told this highland cow to shoo...but he was having none of it.

« Last Edit: 16:19:11, 01/06/20 by GinAndPlatonic »
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:25:10, 01/06/20 »
My wife and I encountered several Highland Cows plus a bull blocking the return path from Slaggan beach on the west coast of Scotland. I didn’t fancy squeezing between them with the size of their horns and bodies. They were looking at us, but not being aggressive. We decided to cross a ditch and go onto the hillside to give them a wide berth and got past without incident while avoiding the others that were descending the hillside towards the path.

A tourist was killed by a Highland Cow near Plockton in 2003. I remember seeing them roaming freely on the road there in the early 1980s.
« Last Edit: 18:29:58, 01/06/20 by Bigfoot_Mike »

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:00:55, 01/06/20 »
Here is the Grandaddy .

A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:36:40, 01/06/20 »
Great photos, the last one definitely looks punk!

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:53:40, 01/06/20 »
I have had a sheep stick its head in my car window looking for food in the Lake District. I also had one trying to eat my sandwich on Helvellyn. I have had a female red deer come up to the car looking for food in the winter at Loch Muick. I did have a stand off with a one antlered stag near the same location, but he backed down.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy