Author Topic: TR Haltwhistle to Redburn, eastward along the Roman Wall Sun 11 Nov 18  (Read 2304 times)

April

• Veteran Member
We got the bus to Haltwhistle for a good leg stretch eastward along the Roman Wall. First stop Haltwhislte Burn and the obligatory shot of the magic tree

The Magic Tree

Squeaky and Beefy on the path alongside Haltwhistle Burn

Squeaky has another new coat on today. The weather wasn't too bad. Rain was forecast but none as yet.

Beefy and Squeaky near Cawfield Crags

Looking west from Thorny Doors

We had our 2 minutes silence near here but it was interrupted by people passing us saying hello.

Squeaky on her way to Caw Gap

Squeaky approaching the trig on Windshields Crags

She kept turning around and if she could speak (instead of a squeak!) she would be saying "Hurry up ya pair of old codgers"  ;)

Beefy and Squeaky on Windshields Crags

There was a little rain here but it didn't amount to much.

On the way to Steel Rigg

We stopped for some lunch near Steel Rigg. We went past Sycamore Gap but it was difficult to get a photo without anyone else on. This is the busy part of Hadrian's Wall, a lot of people come to this bit.

Crag Lough and Hotbank Farm

Broomlee Lough

We turned right at Cuddy's Crags. We were heading for Bardon Mill to get our bus.

Dramatic sky on the way from Cuddy's Crags

Squeaky had slowed down now, she was getting tired.

Autumn at Vindolanda

What another great day out, we hadn't got wet and saw more lovely autumn colours. Our route was Haltwhistle - Cawfield - Windshields Crags - Steel Rigg - Cuddy's Crags - Grandy's Knowe - Redburn 18.2km with 615m ascent and 635 descent. It was about 4 hours walking time. We were all feeling the distance, the ups and downs and the pace we'd set by the time we got to the bus stop. Two hours between the buses on a Sunday, we didn't want to miss the bus.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
if she could speak (instead of a squeak!) she would be saying "Hurry up ya pair of old codgers

;D  more great pics, lovely colours

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos April, I wondered what sort of weather you had up there.
Has Squeaky become a regular walking companion? She'll be wanting to go camping next.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Grand day out on the best part of the wall. The density of the autumn colours is fading now as the leaves fall (ankle-deep here) but still lovely walking to be done.
I thought of doing the complete Wall trail east-to-west but the problems of wild pitching put me off. I'd need to get over 20 miles on the first day to stand even a slight chance, then there are problems at the west end too.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Nice photos April. Glad the weather was good to you again

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos April     :)     It's nice of Squeaky to take you and beefy for a walk    :)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Love the magic tree! O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

April

• Veteran Member
Has Squeaky become a regular walking companion? She'll be wanting to go camping next.

She might be coming with us sometimes  :) We are off for a wild camp this weekend, the weather looks pretty good and Squeaky has asked if she can come too  ;)

I thought of doing the complete Wall trail east-to-west but the problems of wild pitching put me off. I'd need to get over 20 miles on the first day to stand even a slight chance, then there are problems at the west end too.

I've never really wanted to wild camp up there, it is sort of "not the done thing" near Hadrian's Wall. I know other people wild camp up there and get away with it.

Thanks beefy, Rob and sunnydale  O0

It's nice of Squeaky to take you and beefy for a walk    :)

It is  :) She is very fast mind, we struggle to keep at her pace  ;D
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
Great stuff, walking with squeaky and Lady  O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
Great stuff, walking with squeaky and Lady  O0

Or The Lady and The Tramp?  :D
Hate will never win

Jac

• Veteran Member
A grand day out had by all. Is Squeaky a rescue/retired greyhound?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

pleb

• Veteran Member
Or The Lady and The Tramp?  :D
Lol even more. Must remember that for future insults! (er......I mean "constructive comments")  ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
Is Squeaky a rescue/retired greyhound?

No she is a whippet and belongs to Daughter of Beefy. You have put a little bee in my bonnet Jac. When I retire that would be a nice thing to do to get one of those or at least another rescue dog, I have enjoyed being with Squeaky  :)
Hate will never win

April

• Veteran Member
Must remember that for future insults! (er......I mean "constructive comments")  ;D

I can give you lots more fodder if you like  :D
Hate will never win

cpjmathieson

• Veteran Member
Amazing pics! O0   I really must get up there and walk more of the wall!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy