Author Topic: Pinnacle Ridge and Y Garn East Ridge  (Read 2120 times)

harry_keogh

Pinnacle Ridge and Y Garn East Ridge
« on: 13:07:42, 02/08/18 »
Couple of trip reports and these are scrambles rather than walks, but I know that a few in here are into that. These were from last week when I went to Snowdonia for a day of scrambling. My original plan was to do Pinnacle Ridge, Y Garn East Ridge, North Arete and Needles Eye Arete on Foel Goch, and Atlantic Ridge. Unfortunately my knee started playing up within an hour of starting, which then progressed to discomfort around the ankle and calf. Maybe I twisted my leg a little coming back down the scree and rocks from Pinnacle Ridge. Anyway, I managed to get Y Garn East Ridge done but the discomfort had slowed me down a lot. More as a precaution really - I was being extra careful with my footing as I didn't want to make it any worse than it already was. On top of this, the weather was way too hot and I was stopping to rest far more than normal. After topping out on Y Garn, I decided that it would be best to call it a day and return another day to do the other 3 scrambles.

I've written Pinnacle Ridge up here: Pinnacle Ridge Scramble (Pen yr Ole Wen)

and the Y Garn East Ridge one up here: Y Garn East Ridge Scramble

I've added the footage from my headcam to both posts - it was the first time I'd used it despite owning it for 2 years!

Pinnacle Ridge

Looking across at Y Garn East Ridge

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Pinnacle Ridge and Y Garn East Ridge
« Reply #1 on: 13:46:51, 02/08/18 »

Enjoyed the Pinnacle Ridge video - my leg was trembling in sympathy!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:59:47, 02/08/18 »
Now that was both interesting and informative Harry thank you for posting. There’s no real scrambling to be had on my home turf in the Beacons, so I bought a book a couple of years ago on Snowdonia scrambles, done a few grade 1’s which swmbo is just about ok with and we have to consider the dog too, but again, really enjoyed that  O0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:17:25, 02/08/18 »
Enjoyed reading and watching those, excellent stuff  O0  Hope your knee/leg holds out for your next adventure  O0

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:30:14, 04/08/18 »
Thanks for posting those, particularly the video of the East Ridge. Looks like an exciting day out.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy