Author Topic: Boots  (Read 2612 times)

Jim Parkin

Re: Boots
« Reply #15 on: 21:46:43, 10/03/19 »
I have thought about something along the lines of what you describe. Even short wellingtons, as I hear some people walk in them and there`s no worries about flooded fields or crossing streams etc...If your lucky enough to get good fitting ones with nice thick socks, i can imagine they would work ok..
Or the upmarket version that I remember my teenage friends thinking about https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/brands/lundhags/
But you can see why we didn't get them whilst at school...

Jim Parkin

« Reply #16 on: 21:50:51, 10/03/19 »
Leaking boots, my favourite subject!

Since I took up hiking seriously I had three pairs of leather boots, (all Brasher/Berghaus Superlites) two of them wore out before they had a chance to leak. The last pair leaked after two years use. They leaked on 11th November last year whilst climbing Great Gable. I keep wondering if it was anything to do with the hot summer we had last year?

I also over this time period have also purchased three pairs of 'fabric' boots. All supremely comfortable but all three leaked. The Salomon 4D GTX boots leaked after about 10 months, the Keen Targi boots leaked on the first day they experienced rain and my cheepo's from Decathlon leaked anyway. However the Decathlons dried quickly! If I was just concentrating on comfort I would buy the Salomon and the Keen's in an instant.

I 'studied' boot reviews a lot before Christmas and left a list in front of my PC of the ones that I thought had the qualities of comfort vs. waterproofness but I had not made a decision. My son and his wife found it and went out a bought me new boots - Salomon X Ulta GTX boots, they liked the LOOK of them! I couldn't say I didn't want them so I now wear them. They are wonderfully comfortable, I wore them across Gran Canaria recently) but as yet they haven't really seen rain, well not the sort that we get here anyway. They soon will I'm sure, especially when I go to Borrowdale soon and then walk to Edinburgh afterwards.
I've never had luck with fabric gore-tex boots or trainiers.  Maybe for a couple of weeks, but even before the liner wears out, the outside fabric will get wet and hold the wet next to the membrane.  The most breathable fabric in the world needs something to breathe into - and water isn't going to help. 

martin71

« Reply #17 on: 19:28:52, 11/03/19 »
A lot will depend on the fit of the boot suiting you. I have for many years worn Berghaus Trek Gtx boots which are inexpensive and have proved to be comfortable and waterproof under most conditions but walking a month ago in the Lakes in lashing rain, slushy snow and on paths that became streams they did let in a little dampness. I am now wearing Oboz Sawtooth Bdry boots and have worn them in deep mud, paths running with water and long wet grass and my feet have stayed perfectly dry.
I never pay more than £100 for a pair of boots.

the Trek GTX I was looking at possibly getting, not recommended then?

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:21:43, 11/03/19 »
I still wear them. I will probably get a new pair to go along with the Oboz. I do recommend them. They are comfortable straight out of the box, they last well, my 2 pairs are 4 and 5 years old. The older pair has just worn down on one heel so now relegated to gardening duties.
In my original post I tried to make it clear that they only started to get a bit damp after 8 hours of constant  sloshing around in the wet. They are super value for money.
I have been using them for probably 15 years, the design has changed little.....minor changes to the uppers, now a sole that grips better in the wet BUT no change to the fit so I am very happy to buy over the internet.

It's all uphill from here.

martin71

« Reply #19 on: 22:00:19, 11/03/19 »
I still wear them. I will probably get a new pair to go along with the Oboz. I do recommend them.

Thank you

chrismen

« Reply #20 on: 22:55:02, 19/03/19 »

The problem I find with boots is that no 2 manufacturers seem to use the same 'sizing' methods and an '11' with one manufacturer may be a 10Wide with another or a 12Normal with yet another.

After purchasing online and the boots not fitting and not accepting returns my money was wasted - I'd have been better putting that money (and increasing my budget)  towards a more expensive boot that I could try in a 'real shop'.

If you can buy on line and have a guarantee of return than its not a problem.

Having gone thru the £20 Aldi boots (very comfortable but short lived) and the £75 'Army Boots' (didn't fit), having fairly wide feet I ended up with Meindl Meran boots.
SOOOOoooooooo comfortable straight out of the box and I've now done over 450 miles in them.

Really - TRY BEFORE YOU BUY

I’d second the Meran’s if you have broad feet.
I bought a pair rather close before trekking 24 days across Nepal and to Everest base camp, no blisters and they got wet only once after walking through melting snow for a whole day.
And I discovered ‘differential lock lacing’ about the same time, which makes boots even more comfortable.
Chris

mow1701

« Reply #21 on: 22:30:34, 23/03/19 »
I’m a firm fan of Altberg boot. My go to boot for backpacking is the the Altberg Fremington. They come in different lengths and width- closet to bespoke boot. Never let me down and kept my feet dry on challenging trails such as Cape Wrath Trail and Pennine Way

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy