Author Topic: What do you do about the rain?  (Read 5033 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
What do you do about the rain?
« on: 21:27:54, 01/11/18 »
What do you do when it's raining? The views from a summit are really spoilt by the rain. Do you take photos of different things? I like photographing my walks and the rain really spoilt this aspect of it for me. Do you choose a different sort of walk? What do you look for in a rainy day walk to get some decent photos?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: What do you do about the rain?
« Reply #1 on: 21:37:44, 01/11/18 »
Can't help I'm afraid as I rarely take photographs.  I enjoy the rain ... although I prefer not to have it constantly on a LDW but am quite happy if it's a day walk.
Where there's a will ...

tenmilesplus

« Reply #2 on: 23:57:59, 01/11/18 »
Depends what you are shooting with ? Phone ? Compact ? DSLR ?

Waterproof cases can be bought for Compact and DSLR, most phones are showerproof as long as they are in a case..

I have used Phone in the rain by leaving it in the case and be very quick, get it back in the pocket immediately, also DSLR which is a D3100  so not waterproof but again be quick, or put it in a plastic bag can be effective once you've faffed around for a while. There are so much waterproof image storing devices around that it is not much of a problem any more..
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 05:55:11, 02/11/18 »
I wasn't clear about what I meant. I mean the views I usually shoot are all misty looking and no good not that I can't take any photos at all, look at this shot for example:

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 07:32:47, 02/11/18 »
Avoid it as far as possible. I don’t enjoy walking in the rain.
Solvitur Ambulando

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:44:14, 02/11/18 »
I don't take as many photos in the rain, there is no point most of the time if the views aren't good. And your camera gets wet. If it is showery rain I tend to take shots while the rain has stopped. If the cloud is low and the fells are hidden, I take shots of a nice tree maybe or a beck, the summit cairn or trig etc. Tomorrow doesn't look like a good day for photos so it might be a short trip report this week  :(
Hate will never win

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:10:41, 02/11/18 »
I agree with April that it's better to go for close-up photos when it's rainy. The tracery of the leafless branches of a tree can look beautiful against a grey sky. I like taking photos of berries and wildflowers too. But yes, it's very disappointing when the wider views are obscured.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:55:24, 02/11/18 »
I wasn't clear about what I meant. I mean the views I usually shoot are all misty looking and no good not that I can't take any photos at all, look at this shot for example:

I call these atmospheric
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:56:07, 02/11/18 »
Have to agree with April, Dovegirl and Jac above  O0

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:01:42, 02/11/18 »
I would wait until you see the potential for a good photograph. In the digital era it is easy to click away without no cost (except time) and no limit on the number of pictures. In the film era, the film and processing cost money and there were only 24 or 36 frames on a film. That used to focus the mind and make us more selective. I think you will find that after a period of time you will work out what you like and then only shoot when you see what you want. No photo is wasted though, as at the least you will be identifying what worked and what didn’t. This will make the next time more successful, particularly if you revisit places.

tenmilesplus

« Reply #10 on: 23:17:04, 02/11/18 »

Do you use phone or DSLR or compact ?
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 23:26:59, 02/11/18 »
Do you use phone or DSLR or compact ?

LG G4 phone, it was rated the best camera phone of 2015 by reviews I read but it's not a dedicated camera.

I've considered buying a camera and taking it to the next level but although it isn't as good as a camera it's usually good enough for me.
« Last Edit: 23:30:57, 02/11/18 by Rob Goes Walking »

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:45:25, 03/11/18 »
When clagged in, the occasional moody shot of people or dramatic rocky edges. Around rain showers you can get some good atmospheric shots.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:53:44, 03/11/18 »
LG G4 phone, it was rated the best camera phone of 2015 by reviews I read but it's not a dedicated camera.

I've considered buying a camera and taking it to the next level but although it isn't as good as a camera it's usually good enough for me.

The time to upgrade your camera is when you have outgrown your current one. As you seem happy with your pictures at the moment, it would suggest you don’t need to change quite yet. As you take more pictures you may decide that your current camera is lacking in certain aspects. That will help you decide what you need in your next camera.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:28:52, 03/11/18 »
As you seem happy with your pictures at the moment, it would suggest you don’t need to change quite yet. As you take more pictures you may decide that your current camera is lacking in certain aspects. That will help you decide what you need in your next camera.

I'm not entirely happy with them (camera wise), I notice more detail in some other peoples photos plus I wonder how much better the photos would look if I could play around with them in Lightroom. Plus there's more control with a proper camera but I'd have to learn how to make best use of that. I also have a habit of putting my finger across the camera phone's lens which I'd be less likely to do with a proper camera but Barclaycard are already throwing a party with my recent walking purchases I'm not sure I can justify a new camera when they're good enough to remember my walk.
« Last Edit: 19:35:47, 03/11/18 by Rob Goes Walking »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy