Author Topic: Cold Weather pants & Extreme Cold Weather pants  (Read 3835 times)

Litehiker

Re: Cold Weather pants & Extreme Cold Weather pants
« Reply #15 on: 21:04:17, 16/03/19 »
Richard,

Well I have only one pair of "salopettes" (bibs). They are black ski bibs with Gore-Tex laminate over Thinsulate insulation. Worn over polar weight poly base layer they are easily good to -40 F./C. though I'd still wear an insulating layer of 200 weight Polartec fleece under them for insurance.

BTW, One of life's pleasures is seeing a well endowed young woman wearing denim bibs with no T shirt beneath. Just enough "reveal" to tease. Ah, "...youth... wasted on the young."   :P

Eric B.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 22:05:47, 16/03/19 »
 :-X Read forum rules Eric.
Too little, too late, too bad......

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 09:14:54, 17/03/19 »
Buff and snood pretty much the same thing.

I would differentiate between the two. To me, a buff is quite a long tube of rather thin material, concertinad around the neck or it can be stretched up to cover the head as well, while a snood is a shorter tube usually of fleece and roughly long enough to cover the neck only, maybe the chin as well.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 09:39:01, 17/03/19 »

Guess that I was wrong:

Snood - "an erectile, fleshy protuberance attached near the base of a turkey's beak"
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:05:25, 17/03/19 »
For those conditions I'd got for a Rab Power Stretch Pro Bib and Montane Extreme Sallopettes.  Be warned, the Montane pants are extremely hot but in those conditions shine provided you aren't exerting yourself too much.    Same with the jacket, though I've found it pretty much useless for UK conditions unless you leave it in your car to warm up after a cold day out.

Litehiker

« Reply #20 on: 22:26:29, 17/03/19 »

jimbob,

Was my last comment of "...an adult nature"?? I thought it was more of an adolescent nature. "Never too late to have a great adolescence." ;o)

But to avoid the dreaded "thread drift" I will state that bibs/salopettes are very thermally efficient for a few reasons:

1. heat from your legs is funneled up to your torso by the bib and high back and no belt constriction at the waist
2. coverage eliminates any possible gap between parka bottom and top of pants

Eric B.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 23:01:38, 17/03/19 »
I'm Northumbrian  and would be shamed if I wore anything other than a pair of trousers and a thin cotton T Shirt. Those who need more on are either cockneys or wusses. :D
I but the lasses wear far less.  O0

Litehiker

« Reply #22 on: 23:06:59, 17/03/19 »
WATCH IT Buzy, the Moral Police are watching.  ;)
(Here in the US we no longer have any "moral leadership". The minority who won the rigged Electoral College in 2016 have given us "immoral leadership".) Jus' sayin'...

Eric B.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 23:34:51, 17/03/19 »
Thats cos they're frightened some good ole boy is ganna nick their coats if they need to cast them,  ye knaah. ::)

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 23:46:58, 17/03/19 »
Careful, you'll have to answer to April making comments like that  :knuppel2:
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 23:48:07, 17/03/19 »
In order of increasing chill I start with fleece lined Craghopper trousers, then a set of Paramo trousers, then salopettes. I can add a thermal base layer as well.  The coldest I know I have been out in is - 28C plus wind chill. Never hit -40, which I believe is where the thermometers cross, can’t say as I fancy it though.

I do remember looking out the pub window in Brough in the depths of winter playing “spot the Geordie” as folk passed through on their way to Blackpool from Tyneside.
Solvitur Ambulando

Litehiker

« Reply #26 on: 22:45:10, 18/03/19 »
ninthace,

"... the Gordie"??

Eric B.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 23:07:49, 18/03/19 »
ninthace,

"... the Gordie"??

Eric B.
:D Geordie, the people from the Tyneside area. Historically part of Northumberland until county reorganisation in the 70s, I think. Those further north are Northumbrian.

People from North of the Tyne (Geordies and Northumbrians) are famous for their genetic immunity to bad weather and uinnability to feel the cold. So spot the Geordie is a people watching game played usually in winter to guess if the people in tees shirts and shorts are actually Geordies or not. Of course there are those who think alcohol is involved.

By the way we are the English who live North of the Roman wall  built by Hadrian. It was our forebears who frightened him, not the Scottish folks.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 08:29:53, 19/03/19 »

By the way we are the English who live North of the Roman wall  built by Hadrian. It was our forebears who frightened him, not the Scottish folks.

The difference between an American and an Englishman ?

One thinks a 100 years is a long time, and the other thinks a 100 miles is a long way.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 09:05:25, 19/03/19 »
Well done, Jimbob. Now you might like to explain another term Eric might not be familiar with, although he could take a guess, and that is "softie southerner" (among which I must include myself, having lived down here for all but the first five years of my life.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy