Author Topic: More on Scanning  (Read 1493 times)

GrumpyPhart

More on Scanning
« on: 22:01:12, 30/12/20 »
I've just made an interesting discovery on my new scanner. The images in my previous post on this were acquired by going straight into scanning the slide on the Silverfast software.
The first image below was obtained similarly:

The second image was obtained by pressing a "Quickscan" button on the scanner which sort of by-passed the Silverfast software. This created a thumbnail image on my desktop in negative. When I clicked on it, it open the image in "Photos" which I copied to Paintshop and converted to a positive image. A very much better image which, hopefully, will be even better after a bit of "tweaking"
« Last Edit: 22:10:14, 30/12/20 by GrumpyPhart »

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: More on Scanning
« Reply #1 on: 22:18:20, 30/12/20 »
The software is clearly adding a green cast to the picture and affecting the exposure.  You could definitely do with cleaning the slides and / or scanner, as there is a lot of debris.

GrumpyPhart

« Reply #2 on: 22:24:32, 30/12/20 »
The software is clearly adding a green cast to the picture and affecting the exposure.  You could definitely do with cleaning the slides and / or scanner, as there is a lot of debris.
Agreed. Unfortunately a lot of the "muck" is difficult, if not impossible, to remove. I think it could be mould. I was just curious why I should gett a better image by doing it the way described.

GrumpyPhart

« Reply #3 on: 15:56:26, 31/12/20 »
I happily scanned a few slides using the technique described but then, for no obvious reason, the scanned image was only showing about 3/4 of the full image.
I'm flummoxed now.

GrumpyPhart

« Reply #4 on: 14:28:39, 01/01/21 »
I've just downloaded a trial version of the VueScan software and, although I've only tried a few slides in it the results seem to be decidedly better than the Silverfast and I'm tempted to go for it. Even going for the pro version would not break the bank. Has anyone used VueScan?

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:07:34, 01/01/21 »
VueScan looks interesting, particularly as slide scanning promises colour correction.
But on such sites one of the first things I alway look for is the word "Pricing", particularly in this case as it says "Try for free", but I did not see any information.
As you have apparently downloaded the software, have they told you what it costs?

GrumpyPhart

« Reply #6 on: 18:14:46, 01/01/21 »
VueScan looks interesting, particularly as slide scanning promises colour correction.
But on such sites one of the first things I alway look for is the word "Pricing", particularly in this case as it says "Try for free", but I did not see any information.
As you have apparently downloaded the software, have they told you what it costs?

£59.95

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:04:15, 01/01/21 »
Ouch!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy