Author Topic: Cheap accommodation  (Read 3057 times)

topher83

Cheap accommodation
« on: 11:24:40, 08/01/19 »
Hi
Can anyone recommend any cheap accommodation in either the Highlands or cairngorms?

After a bit of winter walking with the dog and not sure when  \ how much snow the dales is going to get so was going to get away for a long weekend

Not after anything fancy, just allows dogs so looking for somewhere cheap just to rest my head  :)

Not camping as might be too cold, but glammping pods might be ok

Thanks

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Cheap accommodation
« Reply #1 on: 20:35:30, 08/01/19 »

You might be able to hire a wooden chalet at Dalraddy, just south of Aviemore. Well spaced out, nice walks from the door and views to die for.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:16:52, 08/01/19 »
We stayed at Burnbank Lodges in Spean Bridge. Can recommend them. They sleep 2 and some accommodate dogs. Not sure if it would be cheap enough for you though. We paid £350 for a week in September.

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:28:18, 09/01/19 »

Hello,
You asked about cheap accommodation in the Cairngorms area.
If you have membership of either the BMC or Mountaineering Scotland (formerly the Mountaineering Council of Scotland) you can now book on line from the Website...Clubs then National Huts should get you to the booking page.
I am the 'go for' for this Cottage.  Fees are £10 per night....Gordon Stewart does the code and payment side of the business.
The dog would have to sleep in the Shed.
Other than that there is Ruigh Aiteachain Bothy a pleasant easy walk from the parking at the end of the Glen road.
Possibly now the finest upgraded free place to stay....two wood burning stoves and a pleasant place to base yourself.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:15:45, 09/01/19 »
I'm really looking forward to an 'out of season' stay at Ruigh Aiteachain. Glen Feshie is so beautiful.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:58:05, 09/01/19 »
I remember some pods on one of the campsites en route along the West Highland Way.  The one thing I havn't tried but I want to this year is AirBnB, the choices on their site look pretty good. Worth a look I think in the area you are thinking of.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:47:16, 24/01/19 »
Just to bump this thread - I'm looking for a bunkhouse/cheap place I can sleep when doing Liathach next month - anyone have any recommendations for the Torridon area?

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:39:39, 24/01/19 »
You could try the SYHA Glen Torridon.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:14:04, 24/01/19 »
I always keep an eye open for cheap accomadation, just in case I need it, At the moment I am looking at an app called 'Couchsurfing'. Has any Forum member used it? If so did it work out well?

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:23:41, 24/01/19 »
You could try the SYHA Glen Torridon.

Cheers for the quick reply Owen.  Unfortunately they're booked out for that weekend (first in March).  I was hoping someone has been to places like The Torridon or Ferroch and can recommend the place, as finding a bothy with access to Liathach puts you in a slightly different area. 

snoopdawg

« Reply #10 on: 16:43:05, 24/01/19 »
Forgotmyoldpassword, for the torridon area the Kinlochewe hotel has a bunkhouse attached think it was £17 a night last time I checked,might be worth a phone call

snoopdawg

« Reply #11 on: 16:44:48, 24/01/19 »
Hi
Can anyone recommend any cheap accommodation in either the Highlands or cairngorms?

After a bit of winter walking with the dog and not sure when  \ how much snow the dales is going to get so was going to get away for a long weekend

Not after anything fancy, just allows dogs so looking for somewhere cheap just to rest my head  :)

Not camping as might be too cold, but glammping pods might be ok

could give Aviemore bunkhouse a try if the YH is booked out

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:10:30, 24/01/19 »
Forgotmyoldpassword, for the torridon area the Kinlochewe hotel has a bunkhouse attached think it was £17 a night last time I checked,might be worth a phone call

Cheers for that snoop, hopefully be able to put something together, don't much fancy staying in a tent with if I can help it.

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:40:53, 24/01/19 »
There was/is a forum member, Midweekmountainman, who knew every bunk house that nobody else knew
and which were always cheaper than everywhere else. Perhaps he'll come back with a place.
Jontea knows how to contact him............

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:17:58, 25/01/19 »
There's a B&B listed on Airbnb in Shieldaig at £35.00 per night including breakfast. Says muddy boots welcome.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy