Author Topic: New Boots  (Read 7804 times)

Snowman

Re: New Boots
« Reply #15 on: 13:02:26, 05/10/07 »
Bless him, but SZ means 'ascent' shoes, sometimes also called approach shoes.   In other words shoes to wear in the walk up to the base of a mountain, i.e. anywhere other than fell walking.     They're great in summer as they're generally lighter and more breathable than 3 season boots.

These generally tend to have a low to mid ankle cuff which may be a problem if walking on muddy paths, but do now tend to come with Goretex linings although this doesn't stop water/mud coming over the top.   However GTX pushes the price up, so if you're anticipating walking in a lot of mud, my personal view is that I'd rather have a pair of simple design leather 3 season boots which are much easier to clean.   You won't find much price difference between GTX approach shoes and some leather boots, although as SZ says, you may find sale items around.

I tend to wear approach shoes as general outdoor shoes, as they usually have cushioned soles so I find them far more comfortable than normal shoes, and as SZ says, they look like a pair of trainers.    I used to find that after a long walk, wearing a pair of normal shoes with no cushioning was like walking on a stony beach with no footwear, so have now been wearing approach shoes as a matter of course for many years.    Because they're not trendy (sometimes silly) designs, they tend to be cheaper than trainers although often far better quality.

S.

irongrip

« Reply #16 on: 19:07:24, 05/10/07 »
I was lucky to be looking for some boots, and happened to go into my local outdoor shop when they had a great sale on. I got a pair of Raichle Mt Trail GTX for £60. I had a good try on of a few pairs of boots, but these were super comfy.

Anyway, I've had a few days wearing them to break them in, and stayed in them most of the day today.

So they should be fine for my trip in 2 weeks time.

David
Everything you need to know about hand strength
http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/ [nofollow]

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 23:17:02, 06/10/07 »
Cheers Snowman

Thanks for clearing up the name for me, sometimes the brain becomes a dark place  :-\

Just picked up a new pair of 5.10s today, they are so comfortable its unreal, also they are suppose to one of the stickest soles being made, which makes them great for scrambles ect.

Like yourself i find it hard to wear trainning shoes because they normally are so poorly made and approach shoes still offer support to your feet.

My N/F Hedghogs were worn for the C2C, Cum/Coastal Way, Cum/Way and the walk back into Liverpool
without any real problems. Sometimes as you say you can get water/mud over the top but if you wear waterproof socks it can help and after long walks sometimes i personally like the freedom of movement i get from not having too much support around my ankle. I am not saying this woould be right for everybody though.  O0

Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:05:52, 16/10/07 »
 :) Its amazing how much one can learn and pick up just by following conversations of those in the KNOW thanks lads..,
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 22:32:19, 08/11/07 »
Myself I use boots for any terrain where good ankle support is needed but where it mainly flat terrain (or has good footpaths) I use approach shoes - TNF Hedgehogs in this case.

So going up Kinder / the Lakes is a boot job, wandering around Lathkill Dale is an approach shoes job. My last report for Malhamdale was done in TNF Hedgehogs. I'll start including what I wore in the reports, it may help people.

The walk I'm doing in a week or so's time will be in the hogs.  Comfort being more important than support in that case. A good pair of socks and approach shoes does make a difference.

Ofcourse the main problem with approach shoes is you don't get that 'better than sex' feeling when you take them off.  ;D
« Last Edit: 22:34:51, 08/11/07 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

kkm

« Reply #20 on: 22:07:59, 09/11/07 »
Ofcourse the main problem with approach shoes is you don't get that 'better than sex' feeling when you take them off.  ;D

OH MY GOD!!!!!!! what a description!!!!! but i can soooooo relate to that feeling.......

so here we go with my questions......bear with me.....

when we decided to do the pennine way, i bought new boots. the ones i had gave me a couple of blisters after doing only 8 miles around the local area, so went for some that were breathable, and looked ok. felt comofrtable, and on our practise walks held up well, with no blisters.

however, tackling the pw, i had nowt but problems. i had blisters from one end of my foot to the other. hell, i even used to melt the compeed.....so once the walk was done i binned them.

so we're planning to complete the pw next year, and i'm going to need new boots. i'm not doing any walking at the moment due to injury (partially torn achilles), but hope to start again after christmas. this time i want appropriate footwear for what i'm going to be doing. but need to make sure they dont aggravate the achilles, either.

so any suggestions? oh and just to make things slightly more difficult - i have size 3 feet. which usually means kiddy boots........

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 11:17:09, 10/11/07 »
Oh i dont know, it depends how far you walk in them. You certainly dont get the up steam from them when you take them off (or have i got wierd feet) ?

Raichle or Scarpa are a good boot for little feet       O0
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 21:31:08, 13/11/07 »
i have a pair of boots made by BLACKS with a really sticky vibram sole, they cost me about £50 i think anyway they were reduced from £65, but as of late ive been contenplating buying a pair of ASOLOSmatrix there really really light and at £120 i might treat myself to them yet but the ones ive got are fine i just like buying new clothes and stuff, i think were all guilty of wanting new and nicer things though.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

Brian

« Reply #23 on: 21:47:51, 13/11/07 »
I regularly walk the hills over here (Isle of Man) and have used Meindl Burmas and Scarpa Sl's with no problems, maybe I am just lucky but also ensuring the correct fit can make a great deal of difference, not too tight as to restrict the movement of your feet but still sufficient to prevent the foot moving forward when descending which causes the dreaded 'black toenail'. I also have a pair of light Karrimoor KSB's which I tend to use for shorter days. My preference has always been for a good pair of leather boots well worn in when doing long trails O0

Hope that helps

Brian

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy