Author Topic: Right Size Rucksack  (Read 3162 times)

hoffman

Re: Right Size Rucksack
« Reply #15 on: 08:48:00, 13/01/20 »
What rucksacks do other forum members recommend. Most shops generally have a limited variety to choose from and can be quite time consuming going from shop toshop

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 09:22:11, 13/01/20 »
Lightwave, exped, osprey, ULA expensive, Atompack, very expensive.

MudMagnet

« Reply #17 on: 10:18:28, 13/01/20 »
I use the Osprey Exos 48L for most of the year but if I need to pack extra I have the Montane Grand Tour 70L which is a really nice pack and has some excellent features.  Montane are worth a look. 
Most importantly enjoy your trip and I look forward to hearing how it went with whatever pack you choose.  As many have said, try them on, it's not a one size fits all decision, a bit like shoes.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 10:22:54, 13/01/20 »
Don't forget Lowe Alpine.  Like Osprey they give a guarantee for life, which I know works as a minor strap broke on my older pack and they sent me a new pack having returned the old one.
Where there's a will ...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 12:03:10, 13/01/20 »
I too use the Osprey 48L Exos. I find the carry system is very comfortable indeed. I was carrying a lot of weight (water) recently, more than my usual 8kg or so and my shoulders did start to feel a bit raw after a few hours. I solved the problem by just folding a sock under each shoulder strap for a while. I find the hip belt is a good one as well and by tightening and tweaking this, shoulder straps and chest strap I can get them to work very effectively and in harmony with each other.

I also have a Lightwave 50L but tweaking for comfort is not so easy to achieve, after a couple of days my shoulders do become sore and the sock trick with this rucksack is not so effective at all. I normally have to place and keep the socks in place for the whole walking day. I've no idea why one rucksack works in one way and the other one works so differently?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 12:12:06, 13/01/20 »
Another vote for the Exos. As a day bag I use a Lidl backpack. It is comfortable enough, I use car seat belt pads (dirt cheap on ebay) on the waist straps cos they used to dig in a bit over the hip area.
Too little, too late, too bad......

hoffman

« Reply #21 on: 16:17:54, 13/01/20 »
I will look at Exos 48 and also if the 48 is a little restricted I will try the the Exos 58 there is not much difference in size and weight. I will keep an open mind until I have tried a few.

In the past I have often taken too much stuff I do not use and have found what appears  ok for a few miles starts to feel tiring after a few miles more. I think taking clothing I never really use is the problem I have had

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 20:03:13, 13/01/20 »
If I was thinking about buying a new rucksack I personally would only consider an ultralightweight one, there is a good selection of ideas/reviews on www.outdoorgearlab.com. Although its a USA site I do find it a useful site, on their ultralight rucksacks section they do identify the Exos 48L as their 'best buy,' worth a read I think.

For me, too many of the rucksacks (in Cotswold and similar shops) are just too heavy to start with and often (as I see it) seem to be advertised for people who want to be looked at as 'macho men/women' or 'in style' which I don't to be and couldn't be anyway.

Lee R

« Reply #23 on: 20:48:59, 13/01/20 »
I have an Osprey Kamber 42 - Pretty comfortable in all honesty & as already mentioned, lifetime guarantee.

On the other end of the scale, I bought my boy a Hi-Gear Nepal 65 mainly just to keep his telescope stuff in at home. But, last year he brought it on holiday with his clothes etc in & we used it for carrying to the beach with towels, clothes, food, bottles of drink etc Now, I appreciate going from the car park down to Durdle Door isn't like proper hiking but, it was very comfortable to wear in all honesty.....!

I guess I could be saying, just because something is a good make & expensive doesn't mean it's the best. But I am saying, try to go to a shop & try a bag out!

taxino8

« Reply #24 on: 21:40:51, 13/01/20 »
I’ve had a Lowe Alpine for about twenty years, I can’t remember the name but it served me well but it was showing it’s age so I went a bit mad last year and lashed out on these from Osprey.

Aether AG 70lt
Exos 58
Exos 38
They give me lots of options as well as allowing my wife to come with me now and again and carry a few bits and bobs.
« Last Edit: 08:53:25, 14/01/20 by taxino8 »

hoffman

« Reply #25 on: 17:41:24, 09/02/20 »
I finally bought the Osprey Exos 58. The 48 was a little too small for my needs but the 58 gave  O0 O0  e that little extra room. I have been in Denmark 10 days and now spending the last 4 days in Sweden around the town of Lund in southern Sweden.
The weather has not been the best and have had my share of wet days but by no means the worst.
The bag has held up well, a few niggles but will give my overall impressions when I get back

Rigel

« Reply #26 on: 22:18:45, 24/03/20 »
17L Virtus Assault for day walks
Berghaus Centurio 45 for overnight - weekends/48 hrs with side pockets
90L Virtus for multi-day/long distance/or if going with girlfriend so her pack is lighter

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 10:41:34, 25/03/20 »
90L, wow, you must be a big strong bloke!  :)

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 11:51:15, 25/03/20 »
I use an Osprey Aether 70L for everything (except day hikes of course).

In my experience, always buy a bigger size when in doubt. Not only does it give you more flexibility when you need to carry a lot of volume (many days resupply, for example), but it also allows you to get a better weight distribution, using the compression straps.

If you have a small backpack and really stuff it, the centre of gravity tends to be further away from your back and relatively low, which I find less comfortable to carry. However, a larger pack allows you to shift the centre of gravity further up, closer to your back and more above the hips, making it a more comfortable carry. I always see people counting grams, trying to optimise their setup using a kitchen scale, but I really don't think that is the right approach.

I'm very impressed with the Osprey customer service. My pack has had lots of abuse on thousands of miles walking, usually stuffed with lots of food and gear. I've had several repairs (replacement of straps, patching up tears, replaced buckles an draw cord, etc), all free of charge! All these things had nothing to do with build quality (which is excellent), just normal wear and tear. I just want to keep this pack alive because I love it, so I have always told them that I was willing to pay for the repairs if necessary, but they have never charged me anything. Unbelievable!

Btw: other companies that are very good with their warranty is Therm-a-Rest (got my NeoAir XLite replaced free of charge when it developed tiny leaks on the welds after intensive use) and Platypus replaced 3 of my 2L bladders free of charge (which was also totally normal wear and tear by any reasonable standards).
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Rigel

« Reply #29 on: 15:36:41, 25/03/20 »
90L, wow, you must be a big strong bloke!  :)

Average height and build. If outside of the UK, I always take a towel and a pair of jeans for rest days, and a much bigger wash kit. I never take jeans in the UK.  With 90l available to me, I still have space for anything picked up en-route. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy