Author Topic: Virtual Walks Using Google Street View  (Read 1382 times)

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
Virtual Walks Using Google Street View
« on: 13:25:06, 23/03/20 »
I'm self-isolating because of the coronavirus outbreak and so I've decided to go on virtual walks using Google Street View.

Here's my first walk:

https://peakwalking.blogspot.com/2020/03/google-street-view-virtual-walk.html

Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Virtual Walks Using Google Street View
« Reply #1 on: 14:00:13, 23/03/20 »
Brilliant bit of innovation Lee  O0   Enjoyed that!

As an aside, I google street view people's houses on a daily basis as part of my job  :-[

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:02:42, 23/03/20 »

As an aside, I google street view people's houses on a daily basis as part of my job  :-[

I could cope with that - only the pretty cottages though.

Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:48:21, 23/03/20 »

I use Streetview as a walk planning tool - very handy for checking the points where paths cross roads and looking at the lie of the land.  When everywhere was wet and we were restricted to lanes, I could do the whole walk virtually before setting off.  It made navigation a doddle on the actual day and I could decide if it was likely to be boots or shoes.

Can't check my house Mel - it isn't there in Streetview.
Solvitur Ambulando

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:51:33, 23/03/20 »
I use Streetview as a walk planning tool - very handy for checking the points where paths cross roads and looking at the lie of the land.  When everywhere was wet and we were restricted to lanes, I could do the whole walk virtually before setting off.  It made navigation a doddle on the actual day and I could decide if it was likely to be boots or shoes.

Yes, it's very handy for seeing where paths intersect with roads.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:35:10, 23/03/20 »
We've just ordered a treadmill (Nordictrack T8.5S).

It's mainly for my wife who enjoys running, but I'm looking forward to using it too - especially if walking outdoors becomes an issue.

The treadmill has an HD screen and comes with iFit, which means I'll be able to do virtual walks, including national trails using Google Street View where the treadmill attempts to simulate ascents.  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:49:49, 23/03/20 »
You can make movies in Google Earth.

Tools-->Movie Maker

I think there is also a way to do it with .kml files from your GPS.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

lightweightmick

« Reply #7 on: 17:11:10, 23/03/20 »
You can make movies in Google Earth.

Tools-->Movie Maker

I think there is also a way to do it with .kml files from your GPS.
Shame the fly through 'plug-in' has gone. It was very useful to see the nature of the terrain from a distance. Can't understand why they stopped it...  :(

yes, I've used 'GPS Visualizer' for many years now to convert .gpx to .kml for Google fly throughs, but you only get a 'down view' - you can adjust 'view up' but it scrolls back automatically.

If anyone knows how to get the plug in, I'd be very grateful for the info!
Google is rubbish to what it used to be before people complained... When planning my route one year I could zoom right in on the Lune ford at Tebay - there was clearly a child playing mid stream on a small gravely island - very useful - now you can't see jack as it's all blurred out...
Use a smiley ...you know it makes sense

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:17:42, 23/03/20 »
Like others, I use Google Street View a lot and find it incredibly useful - especially when planning walks in unfamiliar areas. If I need to use a road, I can see if it's busy and/or if there's a footpath alongside. I can see if footpaths appear to be accessible from the road and on the walk I can visualise places and know where to go next. I can find and check out car parks... and much more. But the thing that really amazes me is that it's completely free; I'd happily pay for Street View because it's so useful.  O0

On a related topic...

Does anyone remember the BBC Domesday Project? Back in 1986, secondary schools were given what was then an incredibly advanced and expensive system comprising a special BBC Master microcomputer, a colour monitor, a trackball, a laserdisc player, and two 12" laserdiscs. One of the discs included virtual walks using actual photos of districts all over the UK. Freedom of movement was limited, but there would be several places in your local area that you could explore in a similar way to Street View. I remember being absolutely amazed at seeing familiar places in laserdisc quality on a computer screen - back in 1986!
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:19:47, 23/03/20 »
What a great idea, Lee    :)     

I too find Streetview very useful when researching walks

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:36:34, 23/03/20 »
I use it for that as well and use it to go over the routes I've walked before. I like doing my French walks again and love notching up the times I can identify on-screen the red/white flash route markings when a walk comes onto a road or when the walk leaves a road. I worry though when I know I've walked through a village and can't remember anything about that part of the route when I see it on screen.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:52:40, 23/03/20 »
On a related topic...

Does anyone remember the BBC Domesday Project? Back in 1986, secondary schools were given what was then an incredibly advanced and expensive system comprising a special BBC Master microcomputer, a colour monitor, a trackball, a laserdisc player, and two 12" laserdiscs. One of the discs included virtual walks using actual photos of districts all over the UK. Freedom of movement was limited, but there would be several places in your local area that you could explore in a similar way to Street View. I remember being absolutely amazed at seeing familiar places in laserdisc quality on a computer screen - back in 1986!
Remember it, but never saw one in use.
I did manufacture units for Shell that had a Post Box, a Telephone and an electronic map accessible via touchscreen.  That was about 1986 or 1987.
I had to take the first prototype to the management team up in Manchester.  Loaded it into my car late at night, drove home, parked up, next morning drove up to Manchester from Aylesbury.
In chatting to the guys at the office, they said the computer technology in it cost £75,000.
Glad I did not crash or have it stolen, or even drop it in the car park.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:42:29, 23/03/20 »
I hope you haven’t been spying on me Mel :-\

lightweightmick

« Reply #13 on: 22:37:58, 23/03/20 »
I'm self-isolating because of the coronavirus outbreak and so I've decided to go on virtual walks using Google Street View.
'One form of exercise a day will be allowed - for example a run, walk or cycle - alone or with members of your household.'
Just make it a long one...
Use a smiley ...you know it makes sense

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:41:44, 23/03/20 »

How's Dino?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy