Author Topic: First time ever!!!  (Read 3965 times)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
First time ever!!!
« on: 08:53:58, 16/11/18 »
I was down in the dales yesterday and saw a flash of electric blue whiz past! Walking slowly, I eagerly scanned the trees on the river bank and there it was, sat on a branch on the other side of the river. I've seen these birds quite often but have never managed to photograph one. Now anyone who takes photos will know that a hand held compact on full zoom will make it very difficult to get a focus and the subject will be waving around all over the place (even if it's stationary).....so I was more than happy to get these rather crap shots.... :-[ :D 8) O0

One happy Tracey :) :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: First time ever!!!
« Reply #1 on: 09:07:06, 16/11/18 »

:D :D :D O0 O0 O0 O0
I know that feeling
Great 'record' shots
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:49:38, 16/11/18 »
How lucky you were to get those photos   :)

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:00:41, 16/11/18 »
Amazing, beautiful bird. I've never seen one of those.   :D

ilona

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:19:15, 16/11/18 »
Top notch, all I ever see is a blue flash!  O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:06:47, 16/11/18 »
Amazing, beautiful bird. I've never seen one of those.   :D 
ilona

Sometimes it pays to walk slower ;) ...…….or even stand still for minute or two
Yesterday, while waiting for my companion who had 'popped behind a tree' I realised I was being watched by two beautiful roe deer not 50 feet away.
« Last Edit: 12:21:41, 16/11/18 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:16:07, 16/11/18 »
Wow  O0

I've never seen one before either  :) They are pretty good shots sunnydale, it is hard with a handheld camera on full zoom  O0

Is it a kingfisher?  :-\ 
Hate will never win

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:31:56, 16/11/18 »
Wow, a fantastic photo. Despite have seen many Kingfishers the luck to catch more that an electric blue blue has eluded me. Mrs BWW and I were playing pooh sticks on a quaint little humpbacked bridge some years ago and just as we were watching for the result of one race, a Kingfisher flew under at just place we had hoped to see our sticks, had I been expecting a photo finish perhaps........ ;D
On another occasion near Lambister, central Wales, we found a beautiful riverside meadow, the banks were undercut, with a strong turf top to sit on, having just opened and position the rucksacks for convenience, I joined Mrs BWW, who had taken up a comfortable position with her feet dangling over the water with about 4 feet from the water. As I was taking position I was looking straight down at hers boots when  a Kingfisher flew directly under the soul of her boots.
I am still looking for a place that would reproduce that moment, so I take a photo. I will borrow an image of a Kingfisher to graft into the picture so that we can both share the memory.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:54:42, 16/11/18 »
I have never managed to see a kingfisher in the UK. You are very lucky to see them. I have seen a lot of belted kingfishers in Florida, but kingfishers, ospreys and eagles are much more common there than here.

Petrolhead

« Reply #9 on: 17:27:30, 16/11/18 »
That. Is. BRILLIANT!!!

I've never even seen one let alone managed to photograph one. Jealous!

Amazing photo!

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:21:40, 16/11/18 »
Great pictures Tracey, I don't think I've ever seen a kingfisher, possibly once.  They are quite elusive
Not all those who wander are lost

rockhopper353

« Reply #11 on: 20:42:39, 16/11/18 »
Well done in capturing a photo of this beautiful and very difficult to photograph bird. I used to see one on a regular basis on a stretch of the Dorset stour, it was a wonderful sight seeing this flashing blue bird skimming over the water where I used to fish but I never managed a decent photo of it, so well done you.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:12:38, 16/11/18 »
Brilliant  :)  I've seen a few but like others have said, got at best, a blue green smudge but mostly nowt at all when trying to snap them. Well done  O0

Ralph

« Reply #13 on: 11:55:17, 17/11/18 »
Attenborough NR in Nottingham is a great place to see Kingfishers, be patient in one of the 3 hides and you should be lucky. In a visit earlier this year I saw 3 chasing each other around the old car park.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 14:36:56, 18/11/18 »

Lovely photos.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy