Author Topic: Moving to Cumbria  (Read 3454 times)

Steve18566

Moving to Cumbria
« on: 07:25:20, 14/10/19 »
Hi everyone

My partner and I are hoping to move to Cumbria. Unfortunately, our budget wouldn't stretch to a shed in the Lake District. We're looking at 120K max, 2 bed min, so thinking West Cumbria, probably Workington Maryport or Whitehaven. Penrith to Carlisle area is also a consideration.
Just looking for advice if anyone knows areas of these towns to avoid, and the nice areas. Also, and preferably, surrounding towns/villages recommended and to avoid. Not interested in bustling nightlife or loads of shops.
We are both looking for jobs as well, so it's going to be a very stressful time if it all comes off, but to be nearer the Lakes, it will be worth it
We've obviously been looking and researching ont net, but there's so much negativity.
We currently live in a nice quiet area of quite a rough town, which gets considerable negative press, so realise the roughest town can have nice areas.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Steve

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Moving to Cumbria
« Reply #1 on: 08:03:24, 14/10/19 »
We looked at that area too but ended up in the east of the County.  The west of Cumbria has fairly bad travel links if you want to get anywhere. Avoid the Wigtown “pong” if is still going.
In retrospect the Appleby area was a good choice for us. Property prices are significantly lower than the National Park. Road links are much better, we ended up within half an hour to the A1 or M6.   The Dales and Pennines Also within easy reach.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:06:37, 14/10/19 »
I live in Appleby and my 2 bedroom flat is valued at around £100k. It's a lovely little town you could do far worse. Not much going on though, a car is pretty much essential.

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #3 on: 14:37:43, 14/10/19 »
I live in West Cumbria and think it's a great place to live.  It takes me 15 to get to Keswick from my house and 20 minutes to Buttermere.  Carlisle is a 40 minute drive.

It would be possible to get a 2 bed property in Maryport but I personally wouldn't choose to live there.   There are some nice villages on the outskirts of workington such as Great Clifton which would be worth looking at.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-74333698.html

The villages in west Cumbria vary immensely.  You can have a nice highly desirable village in one place and a no so nice village a couple of miles away. The best advice I could give is for you to come up to west Cumbria and have a drive around.  Then you'll be able to judge for yourself where would suit you best.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:07:25, 14/10/19 »
Millom is dirt cheap, but I can't imagine that it is the best place for jobs.

We're in the process of moving to Cumbria ourselves, to the Grange Over Sands area. Property not so cheap there, but not sky high either.

Good luck with your search and move :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:49:24, 14/10/19 »
One of the blokes I met last November on the last meet lives in Grange, sorry I can't remember his name.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:52:59, 14/10/19 »
Appleby last walked through there on the Pennine Journey, I can remember a very nice coffee and cake shop and it was a very hot day as well. I was there previously once before when the Horse Fair was on, that was an entertaining afternoon.

Steve18566

« Reply #7 on: 07:00:56, 15/10/19 »
Planning on a trip up this weekend or next.

Again, if anyone knows places to avoid, it might save us trawling round some areas

Thanks again

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:41:50, 15/10/19 »
When I moved to Cumbria in 2007 I looked at areas to live that were closest to where I thought there would be more job opportunities, so I live to the east of Carlisle. I think there are more nice places than places to avoid in Cumbria, I am sure you will find somewhere suitable.

Hate will never win

photonut

« Reply #9 on: 23:18:56, 16/10/19 »
Millom is dirt cheap, but I can't imagine that it is the best place for jobs.

I'd avoid Millom if I were you Steve

I'm in the Grange-over-sands 'area' and would recommend it.  Jobs and amenities, plus you're not far from Lancaster and Kendal.  House prices around GoS are a bit high but if you move slightly west to Ulverston they are not bad at all.  Additionally, before I moved here (almost a year ago now) I did look around the Carnforth area which is still easily accessible to the LD.

Perhaps Penrith area might be an idea to think about?

HTH

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 06:01:45, 17/10/19 »
Perhaps Penrith area might be an idea to think about?

Not to bang on about it but Appleby is basically Penrith area and cheaper :)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:40:24, 17/10/19 »
Not to bang on about it but Appleby is basically Penrith area and cheaper :)
Yes we found Penrith a bit pricey too. In West Cumbria we went for an area from Cockermouth to Maryport.  Did quite a few viewings,  nearly put in a couple of offers but nothing quite matched what we were after.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:39:20, 17/10/19 »
Flookburgh and especially Ravenstown near Grange over Sands are significantly cheaper than Grange itself.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 23:10:43, 16/11/19 »
There are people on here with more local knowledge than me. But with a mind to location versus cost, I have always thought Kirkby Stephen seems a nice small town and one I would consider looking into more seriously.
I'm sure there are some clever statistics somewhere but I'm sure you can add a serious % uplift onto your budget if you move over the boundary into the LDNP.
Carnforth is appealing as are the villages right on the fringes of the Dales & Lake District, such as those on the road between Ingleton towards Lancaster, following the Lune.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:04:49, 17/11/19 »
There are people on here with more local knowledge than me. But with a mind to location versus cost, I have always thought Kirkby Stephen seems a nice small town and one I would consider looking into more seriously.
I'm sure there are some clever statistics somewhere but I'm sure you can add a serious % uplift onto your budget if you move over the boundary into the LDNP.
Carnforth is appealing as are the villages right on the fringes of the Dales & Lake District, such as those on the road between Ingleton towards Lancaster, following the Lune.

I seriously considered Kirkby Stephen; lovely little town with a lot going for it, and a lot of nice country nearby. The butchers make excellent sausages!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy