Author Topic: Langdale in January recommendations?  (Read 1164 times)

TheOkapi

Langdale in January recommendations?
« on: 21:07:40, 23/10/19 »
Hi all, first post!  :)

We’ve been heading up to the lakes a couple of times a year for the last few years but I’m ashamed to say that we’ve not spent much time in the Langdale area (we don’t take a car, and have stayed in other areas, until now...)

In an attempt to rectify this situation, we’re staying at the Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel in January. This will be our first trip at this time of year so I’m looking for a little advice.

Although we’ve done a few Wainwright’s (40 odd), I wouldn’t say that we’re super experienced walkers and don’t have much experience walking in deepest darkest winter. We’re keen to visit the Langdale pikes during our trip but I’m unsure if this is a good proposition at this time of year?

We wouldn’t be planning to incorporate Jacks Rake into our route, and would obviously be sensible with weather conditions etc., but am conscious that there many be a fair amount of snow up there at that time of year, even on a good day! Any thoughts on this, or alternative walks in the area would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your help!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Langdale in January recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 21:32:32, 23/10/19 »
Firstly, welcome to the forum. :)

Secondly, do you have and are you proficient in the use of an ice axe? Essential if you are venturing onto snow covered fells, in my opinion.

If the higher fells are snow covered, then there are lower fells to the east - you could walk over these to Grasmere and Rydal, and there are lots of lower level paths too, just take a look at the OS map.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:39:27, 23/10/19 »
Lower level alternatives from ODG are Lingmoor fell, Stake Pass, Rossett Pike and Blea rigg :)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:52:54, 23/10/19 »
A nice, low/mid level walk would be to catch the bus to Ambleside and walk back (about 8 miles).  You can chop and change from valley bottom to the flanks of the surrounding fells, avoiding the snow.  You'll be walking "into" views of the (hopefully snow covered) Langdale Pikes - stunningly beautiful with a winter covering - without the danger.  Plus, you'll pass cozy pubs with roaring fires.

As Richard says, the higher, snow covered fells would need ice axe and crampons (and knowledge of how to use them).

There's also a steep but nice walk up to Stickle Tarn but be mindful - not of snow, but ice!  I had to abandon my walk (in February) up there on a crisp, blue sky day due to ice on the "path".  Though this might be doable with microspikes (which I didn't have).

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:18:17, 24/10/19 »
On the other hand it may be mild when you're there, in which case the only issue you will have is available light!  Some lovely walking in that area, both onto the Langdale Pikes, or over to Pike O'Blisco, Cold Pike, Crinkle Crags, Bow Fell.  As others have said, if the cloud is down, or there is a lot of snow and ice, Lingmell Fell, Black Fell, Holme Fell makes a nice walk too.  And the ODG bar on a winter's evening is a very very pleasant place to be!!  Hope you enjoy.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:52:20, 24/10/19 »
As said it’s impossible to know what it’ll be like. It could be extremely wintery even at fairly low levels or it might be like this photo I took in January of this year looking into Great Langdale from Blea Rigg:

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:53:44, 24/10/19 »
As said it’s impossible to know what it’ll be like. It could be extremely wintery even at fairly low levels or it might be like this photo I took in January of this year looking into Great Langdale from Blea Rigg:

Which is saying there are some good suggestions for low level walks already posted but if you’re lucky you’ll be free to walk anywhere.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:26:45, 24/10/19 »
This would be a great low level walk. Up to Blea Tarn, then walk through Little Langdale from Fell Foot Bridge to Slater Bridge continue past Dale End, Elterwater Hall then walk back though Great Langdale by either the Baysbrown path or the Thrang Farm path. Check out the route on your OS map, it would be a walk we would do at anytime.
Hate will never win

TheOkapi

« Reply #8 on: 22:24:13, 24/10/19 »
Hi all, thank you so much for all of your comments and suggestions - really appreciated!  :)

I’ll look into the routes and info you guys have posted and see how we get on when we get up to langdale!

Thanks again!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:37:39, 24/10/19 »
Enjoy  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy