Author Topic: Meindl Sportswax minimum wait time?  (Read 1345 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Meindl Sportswax minimum wait time?
« on: 07:26:04, 10/08/19 »
I can't find the answer to this question on Google, how long do you have to wait as a minimum after waxing your boots with Meindl sportwax before you can you use them again?

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Meindl Sportswax minimum wait time?
« Reply #1 on: 08:51:31, 10/08/19 »

Overnight seems to be the most popular option - mainly cos you've finished your walking for the day, cared for your kit, so it's time for feet up and relax. 

It's the waterproofing treatment that needs 24 hours according to Meindl's blurb but that seems to be because you're supposed to apply it to slightly damp boots and have to allow the whole lot to dry.

If I was going out again the same day I wouldn't clean / treat my boots beyond poking the worst of the mud off with a stick.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:00:40, 10/08/19 »
Thanks Mel, I don't normally clean my boots until the day after as I'm a slacker. Waxed them this morning wondered if I could use them later to explore a local public right of way, guess I'm getting today's miles in with more town walking, going shopping today so no 6 hour plus hike.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:12:54, 10/08/19 »
To be honest Rob, you probably could use them later today.  It's only branded shoe polish with a bit of moisturiser in.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:47:29, 10/08/19 »
Before one of my trips to Wales I dunk my Meindls in a bowl of water for a few  minutes to get them wet. Of course, if I've just been on a day walk and got them well muddy, I wash the mud off with a jet on a hosepipe, so they're already going to be wet.
When the exterior wetness has dried off, it doesn't take long,  I spray the boots with Meindl waterproofing spray.
I then leave them a couple of days to dry.
Then I do them thoroughly with Meindl Sportwax, my preferred method being with my forefinger in an old rag.
I'll go along with what the others say about leaving them overnight.
During my trip, on the rare occasions it is dry (I've been lucky on the last two!) the boots remain waxed. When more usually the ground is wet and boggy and/or it rains, they become sodden wet lumps by the second day.
After my walk I usually spend three days or so camping, when I simply put the boots on the roof of my car to dry or in the porch of my base camp tent.
After I've returned home, I wax them when I'm certain they are completely dry.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:59:24, 10/08/19 »
The Meindl website suggests waterproofing while the boots are slightly damp. There is no mention about when to apply Spotrwax  it I have seen suggestions that waxing while damp is helpful as it helps the wax to penetrate the pores.
https://meindl.de/service/care/?lang=en
I usually wax our boots sometime between walks.  If the last walk was totally dry I am less assiduous than if the boots got wet and mucky.  Our walks are not as long as they once were so waxing after every 7 to 8 miles seems a bit OTT.
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:11:15, 10/08/19 »
I could add that I go for a day walk every two weeks and I've miraculously avoided walking in any rain since last year. I bought new overtrousers last October which I haven't worn yet. I'm in the south-east, if that helps explain it, and being retired I can choose my days.
Apart from a few puddles and muddy bits, my boots have remained clean, and more to the point they have remained waxed, although they have looked a bit 'polished' afterwards from walking through grass. I haven't had to wax them for about three months, although I've just checked them and they now look a bit 'dry', so I'll do them later.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:32:01, 10/08/19 »
You all really seem to pamper your boots, I just slap some on about 3 or 4 times a year, then go out walking.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:45:11, 10/08/19 »
You all really seem to pamper your boots, I just slap some on about 3 or 4 times a year, then go out walking.
My views is that his and hers boots will cost the thick end of £350.  If a couple of tins of wax costing pence by comparison will significantly prolong the life of our boots and keep them supple and watertight - then it is worth the effort.
Solvitur Ambulando

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:04:49, 10/08/19 »
I like Zanbamlain trail-lite boots, I'm on my fourth pair. First two pairs wore the sloes out, the last pair I wore a hole in the leather by the inside of the foot. None failed due to a lack of wax. My latest pair are now three years old and showing very little signs of wear.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:16:12, 10/08/19 »

Maybe the question should now be...

How often do you pamper your boots?

I get the worst of any mud off mine after each walk but do a full pamper and preen of them very rarely actually.  In fact, since I've had suede/nubuck shoes they just get a squirt of Aldi waterproofing spray when I decide the water's not beading off anymore.  If they get soaked inside and out then they get "the works".

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:35:13, 10/08/19 »
The soles on our boots wore out too but the uppers were in good condition so we had them resoled - cheaper than new boots and a known good fit.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy