Author Topic: Wild Camping Brecons?  (Read 5216 times)

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Re: Wild Camping Brecons?
« Reply #15 on: 11:41:46, 18/06/18 »
It's a tricky one to answer.

Wild camping spots are pretty hard to recommend at the best of times and generally need you to backpack in and out of them which, I'm guessing, is maybe not what you're planning - carrying music making kit and heavy booze etc. Also re: campfires - there's not much wood in the Brecon Beacons unless you're in one of the wooded areas so you're taking logs and again then backpacking is out of the question.

Dartmoor has legal wildcamping (although not fires I don't think) and it's easy to find places there. If I was doing it wildcamping style then I think I'd just take pot luck driving around with a map and spotting a quiet patch and walking a few hundred yards off the road and pitching up. If you're off the road, not near any houses and don't start too early then the chances of anyone even knowing you're there isn't that high.  

Seems to me you might have more luck trying campsites. Obviously never use the word "stag" when booking any kind of stag! Just say you like to have a fire and singsong until "quite late" etc. I know one campsite where they allow this but it's not Brecon are but rather near the white horse at Uffington. I know they allow it because some b*ggers kept me up all now playing pounding trance until 4am and trying to call the farmer had zero effect. They also sell firewood. However you do have to think how happy you are possibly ruining other people's night.

I've been on a stag exactly like this myself. All older guys and we played house music from the car stereos and got wasted around the fire until we passed out as it got light. As I remember at one guy got naked for some unknown reason. It was a great laugh. We did it on a bit of private farmland one of the guys found somehow. We kept the music down to a level where the owners couldn't hear it from the house. Quite how you find these places I don't really know.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 15:14:38, 18/06/18 »
Jesus. I've been walking solo for about 20 years, done stretches of the penine way.  I've never so much as left a crisp packet.

Give me a few beers and some male company and I'm suddenly a barn burning fly tipper.

It's 5-6 men, 35-55, wanting to sing a few campfire songs.  We don't watch rugby, or motosport.  Different type of crowd.

Any other day, I'm one of you, excepting perhaps I don't judge people based on the words "men" and "stag" and make a hell of a lot of assumptions.  Yes, I don't see any issue in people having a few beers in the countryside, I'd recommend it.  You might find yourself a bitter malcontent otherwise.

I made it abundantly clear I was trying to do this in a responsible way. 

I'll remember to get my "brecons" and "beacons" right.  What a fun little community this is.
Chill out fella, so you didn’t get the answers you wanted, don’t take it so personally. It did initially sound like a bit more than a few mature guys having a few beers in the woods, as for whether it’s the Beacons or the Brecons then sorry it’s one of my pet hates 😉
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 17:40:49, 18/06/18 »
Hi Rafer

If you contact the National Park Visitor Centre they will email a leaflet detailing farms that allow basic camping and the facilities they offer.

The email address is on this page
http://www.breconbeacons.org/camping-glamping-caravanning

ask for the Camping on farms leaflet

You can then contact a few places to see if you can find somewhere that meets your idea.

A couple of years a go a mate and I and my teenage daughter were at Ty'n Cornel Hostel when the only other occupants were a group of eight 30 something guys on a stag do. It was November and the weather was foul, the groom said it wasn't quite what he was expecting when he was promised a wet and wild weekend in Wales! We couldn't have shared with a better bunch of guys, when we turned up looking like drowned rats they gave us the seats by the fire and fed us home made bread pudding one of them had made and brought along.

They spent the evening drinking whisky and playing cards and didn't disturb us at all after we had gone to our dorm fairly early.

The hostel is a fab place anyway!
http://www.elenydd-hostels.co.uk/en

Enjoy every sandwich

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:38:00, 18/06/18 »
Lads?  Average age of about 42!

It's just a turn of phrase.  I work in a fairly male dominated environment and call them all "lads".  Their ages range from 20s to 50s ... "hey lads" if I'm talking to them or "the lads" if I'm talking about them.

.... and "gentlemen" if they're in bother  :D

dank86

« Reply #19 on: 19:42:50, 27/06/18 »
Theres a 'wild' campsite in Brecon would be worth asking them

https://www.facebook.com/thewildmanwoods/

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 08:27:50, 02/07/18 »

I don’t know this area but have you considered a bothy?
No problems having a fire,
They have ready made fire places
And if the weather turns for the worse you can sit comfortably having a beer and a few tunes on the guitar  :)
Whatever you decide to do post us up a few pics or a trip report, be nice to see how you went on  O0

I can't help with the camping, but the bothy idea is not a bad one, RaferJefferson, as there are only 6 of you. None suitable in the Brecon Beacons area, but a quick look on the Mountain Bothies Association website reveals that there are a few in mid Wales.

One listing stats "Camping and fishing by permission of the estate only- Estate Office 01597 810449" - a possible opening for wild camping? https://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/bothies/wales/lluest-cwmbach/

PS - a shame that you have had a hostile reception, as you do state in your post that there are only 6 of you. I have to confess that my initial gut reaction was hostile; I've seen the aftermath of drunken camping parties down at my local beach here in Orkney, and stag parties do get a bad reputation.

Good luck, and all the best!
« Last Edit: 08:39:23, 02/07/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 08:33:22, 02/07/18 »
...and it might be worth doing a search on https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/. You could even ask on their forum.

dank86

« Reply #22 on: 11:57:04, 02/07/18 »
There is a bothy in the black mountain range next to the beacons, that could be an option

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 13:26:56, 02/07/18 »
There is a bothy in the black mountain range next to the beacons, that could be an option
The Black Mountain or The Black Mountains are two separate ranges, both within the national park. The Black Mountain or Y Mynydd Du has a bothy of sorts right by Llyn y Fan Fach, but is not the best. The other is at the upper end of the Grwyne Fawr reservoir down a steep embankment, small but out of the way.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 13:35:01, 02/07/18 »

The other is at the upper end of the Grwyne Fawr reservoir down a steep embankment, small but out of the way.

Indeed - MBA - "Bothy very small, suitable for small numbers only (three)."

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 07:19:56, 03/07/18 »

Indeed - MBA - "Bothy very small, suitable for small numbers only (three)."

Yes it's about he size of a garden shed! Had a good night there with my son, albeit awoken frequently by the mice.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy