Author Topic: Llyn y Fan Fawr & Fach  (Read 2619 times)

Lee R

Llyn y Fan Fawr & Fach
« on: 20:08:43, 09/12/19 »
Hi,

I (we) want to visit this area over the Christmas/New Year holidays! Has anyone ever approached Llyn y Fan Fawr (& then onto Fach) from the East? I'm thinking from the B Road that runs alongside the River Tawe.

Firstly, it's a shorter drive to get there & secondly there seems to be a nice bunch of waterfalls to the south east of Fan Fawr.

I know it's going to be a full day - about 10 miles & 4hr 45m according to OS plus photo taking & food stops.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: Llyn y Fan Fawr & Fach
« Reply #1 on: 20:59:37, 09/12/19 »
Has anyone ever approached Llyn y Fan Fawr (& then onto Fach) from the East? I'm thinking from the B Road that runs alongside the River Tawe.

We've done the eastern approach here, from that road as far as Llyn y Fan Fawr and up to the ridge. We then turned south and didn't go onto Llyn y Fan Fach though.
We ascended Moel Feity first, minimizing boggy ground and loss of height.

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:33:31, 10/12/19 »
I have, in reverse; considering how wet it's been lately, I'd bet it'll be pretty boggy between the river and the ground beneath (east of) the ridge and the river crossing (if you intend to) might be a bit "interesting" I came from somewhere near Fan fechan, more or less heading east and even in fairly dry conditions it was definitely a good idea to wear gaiters and the river was quite fast flowing.

Using streetview, it looks like the farmers take a quad up the southern side of the Nant y llyn - that might be a good place to start, assuming the river's not a raging torrent.

Don't forget to do a trip report  O0 

Lee R

« Reply #3 on: 20:16:57, 10/12/19 »
Thank you both for your input  O0

I'll have a closer look around :)

Wayne s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:37:56, 15/12/19 »
There is space to park a couple of cars at the side of the river opposite Nant y Llyn. Cross the river and follow Nant y Llyn to Llyn y Fan Fawr. There are some nice waterfalls to see. It’s not a wide river but could be difficult to cross after all the rain.

There a a few more places to park along the road with a larger parking area about a mile up the road.
« Last Edit: 12:56:06, 15/12/19 by Wayne s »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy