Author Topic: I fixed my boot  (Read 1040 times)

Ashtons99

I fixed my boot
« on: 19:55:18, 12/02/21 »

I’m new on here but thought I’d post today’s success story. Please stop reading if you get bored !

I snapped a lace hook on my Brasher Hillmasters last week. They are the pre takeover version.........the proper Brashers and in great condition so I was a bit gutted.
I searched the Internet for someone who might be able to repair. My first hope was I could get it done with the original type Brasher stamped hook but lost hope when I couldn’t even find anywhere that could do it with a plain matching one!
I got a few replies back from various on line cobblers but none filled me with confidence as to what I might get back.

By chance today I called in at a Timpson booth outside my local sainsburys. I mentioned my plight and the guy pulled a drawer open with half a dozen hooks which matched perfectly in plain brass colour. He handed me 3 and refused to take any money. He said to bring the boot in and he would fit if I couldn’t do it.

Back home, I drilled the remnants of the old hook out. I have a leather punch so did that, pushed the rivet through, tapped a thin washer over the rivet shank on the inside and then peined the back of the rivet with a punch and bingo.

One of those really satisfying moments lacing them back up. Top marks to Timpsons too.

Thanks for listening if you’ve read this far

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: I fixed my boot
« Reply #1 on: 20:04:55, 12/02/21 »
Success  O0

Well done and welcome to the forum.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:14:42, 12/02/21 »
Well done, excellent outcome
It's all uphill from here.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:02:26, 12/02/21 »
Brilliant  O0

Always good to hear good news.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:15:53, 13/02/21 »
Excellent. Amazing you still have original Brashers but from your photos the leather looks far better quality than my more recent post takeover ones.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:54:50, 13/02/21 »
Excellent. If I waded through my garage I wonder what similar 'goodies' and useful items I might find? One day I'm determined to have a go.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:27:59, 13/02/21 »
Great repair!

I had an eyelet come off some Hillmasters - post takeover version. Took them back to Blacks for a refund.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ashtons99

« Reply #7 on: 21:28:57, 13/02/21 »
Excellent. Amazing you still have original Brashers but from your photos the leather looks far better quality than my more recent post takeover ones.

These are far better than the Berghaus made ones. I really look after them, I’m sure they will last me out. I bought some berghaus “brashers” 2 years ago, they just don’t compare

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy