Author Topic: Sutton Hoo  (Read 1809 times)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Sutton Hoo
« on: 17:54:48, 18/01/21 »

With the film “The Dig” about to be released on Netflix (which we can’t watch as we don’t have Netflix!), a couple of photos from our walk this morning. Sutton Hoo is our nearest NT property and we often go for a walk there. Should we have driven there? It’s just over 5 miles and we arrived just after it opened and there were only two cars there, only a few more when we left, so we saw less people than if we walked around our village. The paths are pretty good and dry so better than trudging across fields every day. Not a particularly long walk though as we walk all the paths and they are under 3.5 miles. We will stay nearer to home the rest of the week.

A view across the mounds to Edith Pretty’s house

A view across the River Deben towards Woodbridge (this is likely where the boat was hauled up)

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Sutton Hoo
« Reply #1 on: 08:14:38, 19/01/21 »
Lovely pics Rural Roamer, it looks a lot more scenic than the walks I've done the last couple of weeks  :)  Perfectly reasonable to drive 5 miles to do a walk to avoid busier areas  O0  I may drive that distance this weekend when I go walking. The paths where I've been walking nearer home are muddy enough now. After the rain in the next few days the mud will be a foot deep.
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:05:47, 19/01/21 »
Looks nice, no decent mud though  O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:42:49, 19/01/21 »
. . . Perfectly reasonable to drive 5 miles to do a walk to avoid busier areas . . .
I agree with you, April.

Skip

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:47:00, 19/01/21 »
It is years since I have walked there, doesn't looked to have changed much.
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:52:40, 19/01/21 »
Looks a very lovely walk indeed . O0

ps ..I will be driving out for a walk at the end of the week .
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:16:47, 19/01/21 »
Looks nice, no decent mud though  O0

Plenty in Wetheral on the footpaths near the River Eden
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:21:30, 19/01/21 »
 O0

If the PM can go 7 miles to exercise somewhere that is going to be very busy then 5 miles to avoid people must be OK.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:44:09, 22/01/21 »
Looks a nice little mooch that rural roamer  :)

I've forgotten what even the gentlest of hills look like so seeing some nice, rolling countryside is lovely  O0

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:48:40, 24/01/21 »
Thanks all.  O0

cpjmathieson

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:59:38, 30/01/21 »
Lovely area, you are lucky to have that local. I walked Sutton Hoo to Woodbridge last year. Very nice indeed. have you walked the UFO trail in Rendlesham? Did that on the same day too.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:13:28, 30/01/21 »
have you walked the UFO trail in Rendlesham? Did that on the same day too.
We haven’t done the UFO trail as such but have probably walked most of the paths it covers at various times. We often walk in Rendlesham forest and also Sutton Heath, especially this time of year when the fields are so muddy (or we did in normal times!)

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:53:45, 04/02/21 »
I have just revisited this thread after we all watched the film The Dig on Netflix this evening .Super to see Ediths house and those mounds for real in your lovely photo.. ! O0

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:15:45, 05/02/21 »
I have just revisited this thread after we all watched the film The Dig on Netflix this evening .Super to see Ediths house and those mounds for real in your lovely photo.. ! O0
I don’t think any of it was actually filmed at Sutton Hoo. They used a site in Surrey for the mounds, I suppose they needed somewhere they could actually dig. The house was elsewhere too, but they did film local scenes around Aldeburgh, Snape Maltings and Bawdsey Quay.  We still haven’t seen it but are going to get Netflix for a month so we can see it.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:22:13, 07/02/21 »
I don’t think any of it was actually filmed at Sutton Hoo. They used a site in Surrey for the mounds, I suppose they needed somewhere they could actually dig. The house was elsewhere too, but they did film local scenes around Aldeburgh, Snape Maltings and Bawdsey Quay.  We still haven’t seen it but are going to get Netflix for a month so we can see it.

I would recommend the film .
I showed my daughter this thread as she chose the film to watch , partly because of her studies on the Anglo Saxons in her previous year at school .  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy