Author Topic: Lakeland Lockdown  (Read 26072 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Lakeland Lockdown
« Reply #420 on: 16:37:56, 12/05/20 »
Day 48 - 11th May 2020

A 4 mile walk over the back of Hampsfell, returning via Eggerslack and Yewbarrow woods. Visibility not so good, and a bit chilly on top.

Morecambe Bay from Fell End - lots of sheep and lambs around now so Tess strictly on lead

After skirting around the hillside north of Fell End, I took the Cistercian Way path westwards towards Cartmel, as I wanted to check out the blocked gate. Quite a drop down a steep hillside, but I didn't mind, as the way back up is lovely and wild. And I was in no rush.

Fresh green bracken on the hillside beside the Cistercian Way, Coniston Old Man and Helvellyn visible in the distance. The fields in the Vale of Cartmel look so green too.

Footpath closed, as expected, with a semi official looking National Park Authority closure notice

I skirted along the edge of the fields northwards, before doubling back up a disused track that led through dense hawthorn and blackthorn scrub. Beautiful birdsong from a bird that I have yet to identify (Edit - Common Whitethroat, I believe). I broke out through the scrub and climbed up between patches of scree and wind blasted hawthorn onto the plateau above.

A wind sculpted hawthorn in bloom

I passed the Hospice and then took a track eastwards which led me down towards Eggerslack Woods. I took a brief detour into the northern end of the woods to have a look at the bluebells, which sadly are now past their best. Still a few patches looking good though.

Bluebells slightly past their best still looking good under a canopy of bright green

I returned through Yewbarrow Woods - I had my eye on some Yew branches that had been cleared and abandoned; lovely wood for carving spoons and jewellery.
« Last Edit: 14:33:35, 13/05/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #421 on: 17:01:05, 12/05/20 »
Good to see that "fresh green bracken" . :)
Lovely pics.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #422 on: 17:50:11, 12/05/20 »
Day 49 - 12th May 2020 - LAST DAY OF LOCKDOWN  :)

As this is likely to be my last entry into this Lockdown Diary, I thought that I would finish with what I regard as my 'classic' walk over Hampsfell and through Eggerslack and Yewbarrow Woods, packing as much as possible into a 5 mile walk. Unfortunately the weather wasn't the best, with showers over the fells, some of which came my way....

I headed up Grange Fell Road and walked around the southern and western slopes of Fell End, a better route than just slogging up the hill, as the path traverses around nicely. A green keeper was busy cutting the grass on a fairway below in anticipation of tomorrow's re-opening of the golf course.

The southern slopes of Fell End, strewn with large limestone boulders, some of which must weigh several tons

Hawthorns above the golf course - note the newly mown fairway

After regaining the crest of the hill, I followed the main path northwards to the Hospice, views of the far distant fells spoilt by showers and mediocre visibility. Plenty of examples in earlier entries!

Approaching Hampsfell Hospice

Not much point in going up on the roof, so I went inside:

Something to lift the spirits and cleanse the soul of the weary traveller - I particularly like the last one!

Continuing northwards, I passed the limestone pavement and then headed eastwards, taking a diversion into Bishop's Allotment before dropping down to the northern end of Eggerslack Woods.

Pristine Limestone Pavement near the Hospice

Early Purple Orchids were everywhere - in places I had to be careful not to stand on them

Hawthorn sprawling over the limestone pavement

The tree covered pavement is like a miniature Lost World - but is no place to go when tethered to a lively dog!

Arnside Knott from the bridleway that crosses the northern part of Hampsfell

A mini Howff on the edge of the pavement - not big enough to lie down in, unfortunately

This shapely sycamore caught my eye as I headed north into Bishop's Allotment

Tess having one of her mad moments

The young bracken is such a lovely green

Into Eggerslack Woods

I descended through the woods to the spring, so that Tess could have a much needed drink. I took the left branch of the path which descends towards the Merlewood Apartments, before following the crest of a limestone ridge towards the spring, a very pleasing route, better than the right of way.

From the spring I headed south across the side of the tree covered hillside, another excellent path, which brought me to the 'crossroads' where the biggest patches of bluebells are. I carried on southwards through more bluebells before popping out onto a minor road near the Hampsfell Hotel.

Bluebells beneath a fine tree near the northern gate in the previous picture

A birds eye view of a fern

Bluebells still looking good under a fresh green canopy

Bluebells, ferns and young sycamores

I headed down the road past the Hampsfield Hotel, before climbign up a minor path beside an old lime kiln - this led up into Yewbarrow Woods. There is quite a network of paths, so I chose a circuitous route that took in the best of the woods, including the viewpoint.

Stranglehold

Tall trees above a carpet of Dog's Mercury - such a vivid green

The path skirts below a line of overhanging limestone crags

The clifftop viewpoint near the top of Yewbarrow, Grange over Sands below, Humphrey Head and Heysham in the distance

Dense tangled yew rich woodland that makes Yewbarrow so special

And finally....

I think that these are tawny owl chicks - Gorgeous, but I didn't linger long on account of the dog

So that's it, Lockdown over. I've enjoyed writing this diary, and I will enjoy reading it in years to come, but I'm glad that this is the end of it, as I find myself writing about the same walks again and again, and a fair bit of work is involved in editing and uploading the photos on a daily basis. And obviously from a walking point of view I am glad that Lockdown has ended - let us hope not prematurely.

Thank you for reading, and see you on the hill.  :)
« Last Edit: 14:21:29, 13/05/20 by richardh1905 »

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #423 on: 18:43:13, 12/05/20 »
BBC news have quoted Richard Leafe this morning saying they are opening the LDNPA carparks and toilets and providing a website on which you can see how full they are (car parks, not toilets O0 ).  Sounds like maybe a more sane response to the inevitable to me rather than yesterday's F Off message, though it may have more to do with him being told by westminster to support central government policy.

Not sure how much this helps with the inevitable should I/shouldn't I process!

Thanks pdstsp. The government has decided we are allowed to travel anywhere in England so the NP's do have to tow the line. I know what you mean; do we do what we are actually allowed to do, or not?  :-\

More lovely pics and wow the tawny owl chicks are fab  O0 I will miss your pics from your Lakeland Lockdown thread but there will be more from your other exploits  :)
Hate will never win

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #424 on: 19:14:19, 12/05/20 »
Excellent pics again, especially the owl chicks, amazing that they were within reach of a camera  O0

Brandywell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #425 on: 19:39:10, 12/05/20 »
Great photos looking over Grange from Yewbarrow and the owl chicks O0 , how high was the nest from the ground ?  Re the "closed" path in your Day 48 report, Pit Farm have also chained and padlocked the gate in Cartmel which now displays the same notice.  The notices have been downloaded from LDNPA's website as a sample template for farmers to display.  It states that a temporary permissive path has been provided, please follow the the directions.  Not so, they have simply scrawled on the notice an arrow directing walkers to another PROW which, unlike this one, actually passes through an adjacent farm.  Pit Farm has a long history of antipathy towards walkers.  The blockage of the path has been reported by several people, including me, to Cumbria Highways.  I asked specifically if the path had been closed under a TTRO.  In reply, the question was ignored , they just said that the report was noted but they were only responding to emergencies.
Watch where you are putting your feet : AW

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #426 on: 20:20:09, 12/05/20 »
Great photos looking over Grange from Yewbarrow and the owl chicks O0 , how high was the nest from the ground ?  Re the "closed" path in your Day 48 report, Pit Farm have also chained and padlocked the gate in Cartmel which now displays the same notice.  The notices have been downloaded from LDNPA's website as a sample template for farmers to display.  It states that a temporary permissive path has been provided, please follow the the directions.  Not so, they have simply scrawled on the notice an arrow directing walkers to another PROW which, unlike this one, actually passes through an adjacent farm.  Pit Farm has a long history of antipathy towards walkers.  The blockage of the path has been reported by several people, including me, to Cumbria Highways.  I asked specifically if the path had been closed under a TTRO.  In reply, the question was ignored , they just said that the report was noted but they were only responding to emergencies.

Thanks Brandywell - yes the alternative routes are hardly viable, both involving climbing back up the hill! Think that I will report this to Cumbria Highways too, not in the hope of getting a fast response, but just for the record. And I wonder how the residents of Longland Farm on the redirected route feel about such selfishness.

The nest can't have been much more than 3 metres off the ground.
« Last Edit: 20:24:04, 12/05/20 by richardh1905 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #427 on: 20:22:36, 12/05/20 »
More lovely pics and wow the tawny owl chicks are fab  O0

Thanks April  :)
I was delighted to spot the chicks, the real icing on the cake.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #428 on: 20:24:35, 12/05/20 »
Excellent pics again, especially the owl chicks, amazing that they were within reach of a camera  O0

Thanks vghikers - I did use a powerful telephoto, so I wasn't that close!

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #429 on: 20:36:51, 12/05/20 »
A nice way to end your lockdown diary Richard.   O0
 What a treat to see the owls

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #430 on: 20:46:06, 12/05/20 »
Good to see that "fresh green bracken" . :)
Lovely pics.
Thanks G&P

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #431 on: 20:46:48, 12/05/20 »
A nice way to end your lockdown diary Richard. O0
 What a treat to see the owls
Thanks Karl - yes it was a real treat.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #432 on: 22:12:35, 12/05/20 »
More great pictures Richard, amazing shot of the owls.
Thanks for taking the time to do all of the reports.  O0

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #433 on: 22:57:17, 12/05/20 »
Wow, those owls O0 O0 O0  stunning.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #434 on: 23:00:44, 12/05/20 »
What a lovely walk to end your Lockdown Diary.  I've really enjoyed my "bedtime stories" reading it.

Thanks for taking the time to write/update it.

Fantastic pic of the baby owls.  That really is a superb ending  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy