Author Topic: SWC Padstow to St Ives - Boots ?  (Read 773 times)

johnberman

SWC Padstow to St Ives - Boots ?
« on: 09:45:45, 04/04/21 »
Hi

So walking a section of the SWC Padstow to St Ives -never walked that area before, boots or Hiking trainers ?

Thoughts appreciated

Regards
John B

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: SWC Padstow to St Ives - Boots ?
« Reply #1 on: 10:02:57, 04/04/21 »
Either will be just fine. If it has rained a few days then some of the narrow section get muddy and slippy.  Wear what is comfy. Personally I usually wear my boots for the ankle support and grip. On dusty summer days I occasionally wear shoes. Some of the most beautiful views on our fine planner right there. Be sure to catch the poppy fields at polly joke, if they are in season, enjoy.

johnberman

« Reply #2 on: 10:55:41, 04/04/21 »
Hi thanks

Planner and views ?

Regards
John  B

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:51:10, 04/04/21 »
Lots and lots of good views around every corner. One thing to look out for which is different from other things e.g. the Huers Hut at Newquay and make sure you get to the crossing point over The Gannel at low tide to save a diversion from my jpurnal is:-Alongside the River Hayle on a patch of grass, there was a memorial stone to commemorate the life of Cyril Richard Rescorla, known as Rick Rescorla, who was the World Trade Centre (WTC) security chief for Morgan Stanley.  He was born in Hayle in 1943.  Rescorla anticipated both attacks on the towers and implemented evacuation procedures that were credited with saving many lives.  At 8:46 a.m. on 9/11/2001, American Airlines Flight 11 struck WTC Tower 1.  Rescorla, following his evacuation plans; ignored building officials' advice to stay put and began the orderly evacuation of Morgan Stanley’s 2,800 employees on twenty floors of WTC Tower 2, and 1,000 employees in WTC 5.  Rescorla had most of Morgan Stanley’s employees, as well as people working on other floors of WTC Tower 2, safely out of the buildings by the time United Airlines Flight 175 hit Tower 2 at 9:02 a.m.
After having led many of his fellow employees to safety, Rescorla returned to the building to rescue others still inside.  He was last seen heading up the stairs of the tenth floor of the collapsing Tower 2.  As a result of Rescorla's actions, 'only' six of Morgan Stanley's 2,800 WTC employees were killed including Rick and three of his deputies who followed him back into the building."

Perranwell

« Reply #4 on: 13:53:04, 04/04/21 »
I walked that path again in 2018, in a pair of comfortable low-rise sneakers I'd had for years. When I first did it as a 17-year-old, I wore a proper pair of hiking boots, which I'd saved up for. They were my pride and joy; but over the years I've come to agree with John Hillaby that hiking boots are overkill in most 3-season British conditions. That coastal path is mostly well-drained: I didn't get my feet wet once.

On the other hand, the section through mining country is very hard underfoot, and I felt the rubble through my soles. So after that journey I bought a pair of stout leather shoes, with a Vibram sole, which I've used for all my walking since (on second pair now). I won't be going back to hiking in sneakers and trainers, especially as these shoes feel no heavier.

I think socks are important, though. I walk in two thin pairs of wool socks, which keep me blister free.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:23:09, 05/04/21 »
Hi thanks

Planner and views ?

Regards
John  B
The spiel checker gets me every time on here.  It should read.....Our fine planet.  O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:21:54, 05/04/21 »
From learning the hard way - the Mawgan Porth the Watergate Bay section can be a bit of a quagmire in the rainy season
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:31:10, 05/04/21 »
Trainers or boots?
Either as long they are comfy and have decent tread for mud or the loose gravelly grit that makes steep downhill slopes treacherous.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:12:53, 06/04/21 »
From learning the hard way - the Mawgan Porth the Watergate Bay section can be a bit of a quagmire in the rainy season

Indeed.   But you can drop down the Strasse Cliff Path, at low tide and enjoy walking that section along the beach.  Requires the foot work of a Billy goat, when wet and wearing surf socks on your feet.  ;)

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:08:34, 06/04/21 »
never walked that area before, boots or Hiking trainers ?

I suppose it depends also on what you are used to. I have walked in trainers a bit but, having been brought up on walking boots of one sort or another, i do still feel best equipped in a pair - even if quite lightweight.

Your own personal approach to life will also play a part - are you a belt-and-braces person, or suck-it-and-see?

GP  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy