Author Topic: A Tier 3 - North Liverpool  (Read 3908 times)

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
Re: A Tier 3 - North Liverpool
« Reply #30 on: 18:59:13, 28/10/20 »
Trip Report.  Though I am sure you knew that.

So you had a nice walk, did the fact you couldn't go through Ince Blundell Hall ruin that walk?

Incase you have forgotten I was the one who said there are some nice walks around Liverpool. I did actually mention Formby in my reply, Although I haven't done the walk you did.
« Last Edit: 19:02:14, 28/10/20 by shortwalker »
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 19:04:29, 28/10/20 »
Sorry - not going to feed you any more.  Hope you're snug under that bridge of yours.

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 19:37:37, 28/10/20 »
Sorry - not going to feed you any more.  Hope you're snug under that bridge of yours.

So instead of engaging in a debate* you decide to call me troll.

*Debate, where opposing arguments are put forward.

That's fine, sorry if I offended your sensitivities.
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 19:51:55, 28/10/20 »
Definition of Troll in Internet slang: a troll is a person who starts flame wars or intentionally upsets people on the Internet by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community

I’m struggling to work out which one of those you have not done yet.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 19:53:28, 28/10/20 »
Shortwalker this is a TR not a debate  - the only debate was with BWW about a couple of local estates. Please take the politics elsewhere.  Last time you started like this you ended up reported to the mods and your posts were deleted. 

Ta Mel. O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 07:23:25, 29/10/20 »

Definition of Troll in Internet slang: a troll is a person who starts flame wars or intentionally upsets people on the Internet by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community

I’m struggling to work out which one of those you have not done yet.

Ta Mel. O0

Aye, ta Mel, the voice of reason as always  O0

Hate will never win

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 10:29:07, 29/10/20 »
Apologies in advance PDSTSP if you feel I am derailing your post, but I thank you again for the picture and map reference. Had your been able to walk through Ince Blundell it would no doubt have added to the quality and range of your walking especially as you are locked down in Tier 3.
5 years ago I posted a topic and asked this question; What is an Xzone (exclusion zone)? It is like a black hole on the map? You have provided me with a perfect example, but why do landowners not recognize them, at risk of further upset I will not give my thoughts on that. This example is of two such areas in close proximity that clearly impair the Continuity of Way, thus reducing the Quality of Way in the area you walked.
Perhaps these are factors that we walkers should be more critical of when we write TR's and if the dialogue should progress along these lines, then more constructive conversation about the access network might take place at a higher level.
PS. I hope
Short Walker is not driven away by other responses, any criticism of my attitudes can be copied and posted on any of the topics that I have started. It would be helpful if I could learn to explain my corporate disrespect for the landowning classes more clearly so that others, who are not prepared to come out and take me on in open debate, may also learn. Perhaps if these are subjected to closer scrutiny we might find the English answer to the Scottish land reform act.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 11:54:45, 29/10/20 »
No problem - interesting to consider this.  I certainly enjoyed my walk on Sunday, but you are right - the last few miles would have been more pleasant if they had been spent on softer ground - I walked round two walls from SD32714 03146 to 32836 02278 and then from SD32419 01766 to 32111 01076 - no great hardship but tougher on the feet than I prefer, particularly as much of the canal path had already been tarmac.  The section round Ince Blundell was also tricky as there were a few floods and plenty of traffic to dodge!  At present much of the routes I can do without breaking guidelines about leaving the Liverpool city region will have to be planned quite carefully.

Funnily enough I have just noticed that a section of my route was outside of the Liverpool area - from close to Mercer Court (36231 03387) north and then westwards to Baines Bridge (SD33751 03957) - however I was still Tier 3 (Lancashire) so hopefully the Stasi won't be round to lock me up.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 12:30:44, 29/10/20 »
Stasi  :knuppel2: Mrs BWW and I inadvertently strayed into Wales on Sunday, whoops!
So Ince Blundell hall is a nursing home, and one parkland that is under cultivation is agricultural fields. Harry Cotterell, president of the CLA wrote that the our access network is made up of historical ways to work and shortcuts of yesteryear and not suitable for leisure use. Yet Park Land was the leisure green spaces of the classes in the 18-19th centuries, who had leisure. The 1949 recognized that all sections of society were in entitle to leisure and that act recognized that all should access the countryside that many sacrifice their lives for.

It is a failure of logical progression to argue what was once landscaped and set aside for leisure in the same era that our leisure network was formed is not now included.

The gate of the lodge shows little movement. A clear indication of isolationism Google Earth does open the gate of Virtual Trespass, bring on the CLA's stasi :police:
BWW

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 12:18:49, 18/12/20 »
Thanks BWW - I took a picture thinking of you, earlier in the summer, which shows the wall of the Blundell Estate with an old gateway carefully blocked in to deny access - though when it was blocked, I have no idea.  This old entrance faces fields which I walk each morning with my dogs.  There is a matching one on the other side of the estate.

PDSTSP Some thoughts that that this TR of yours stirred in relation to the above photo stirred me to do a little mapping exercise. I think showing routes on smaller scale maps helps to broaden the understanding of how our off road ways serve us. I note your interest in the Slow ways topic and choose to post here.  This is not a direct criticism of the occupiers of the two estates but an example of how the strategic location of black holes discussed in Andies; An Interesting Read topic,  influence route makers.

I have coloured in the areas of the two walled estates to show there position in relation to some other properties that affect access.
I notice that the Trans Pennine way is runs south through Litherland. Yet the approach to Hall Road Station, large red flag, on the coastal rail line is an attractive suburban side road leading to fields.

The position of the black holes is made more damaging to off road leisure routes by the location of the only bridges for some distance, shown by smaller red flags and the green dots indicate the right of way across open countryside. Lydiate provides a near direct crossing of a major highway, A5147, another feature that should be noted in assessing quality of way. The green arrows represent walkable corridors of countryside, directed to this crossing and the way beyond, with the flared flight end showing the extent of active countryside, that is areas well supplied with RoWs.

PDSTSP walked a 16 mile circular walk, the outer shadow shows a 16 miles radius from  Hall Road Station. On this map the lines and stops of the rail network become more apparent.

Slow ways will, IMO, concentrate thought on linear routes, yet most thought from local government is based on short circular walks from car parks.

...., and it is no surprise
that nowadays, people do not
want to walk the short cuts of
yesteryear. People want circular
routes, easily followed and pref-
erably somewhere they can park
their car.
From the CLA's monthly Land and Business.

BWW

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 14:34:52, 21/12/20 »
Interesting reading BWW - and thought provoking.  I  normally walk in the hills, so have never really considered my local access network, until the Covid restrictions.  Certainly the lack of access through the two estates forces walkers onto around 2ish miles of road walking - some quite busy.  The one thing that does strike me is that the three main routes I use to access the local countryside are the Sefton Coast Path, Trans Pennine Trail and Leeds Liverpool canal - none of which involve incursions into privately held land.  These routes are popular, and are linear, and can be used with public transport, but are flawed if you want to do a circular walk such as the one I did in this TR as the connecting access network is often on roads.  The few paths are ill kept and, in the case I highlighted, obstructed by the farmer. 

I hope both the Lost Ways and Slow Ways projects bear fruit.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 17:00:57, 21/12/20 »
Thanks, I hoped you might comment. I took a bit of trouble verifying the corridors of countryside, as depicted by the arrows, by viewing with Google Earth Street view. I can well imagine the paths are not well maintained, this was evident from the roadside viewing.
The countryside has a lot to offer in those corridors, the rail network support is revealed by the smaller scale roadmap. The extent to which the access network is forced out of the countryside onto busy highway should be one of the ways for supporting the claims for lostways and slow ways. The later being a self declared protest.
BWW

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 17:51:59, 27/12/20 »
It looks nice along the canal...probably not too muddy either.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 19:31:23, 28/12/20 »
The canal is quite a nice walk - particularly the part between Maghull and Wigan - quite scenic and the paths are 95% non muddy. O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy