Author Topic: New Member from the NORTH OF ENGLAND ;)  (Read 3326 times)

RAVE

New Member from the NORTH OF ENGLAND ;)
« on: 10:05:43, 16/11/20 »
I was inspired by the previous welcome post by "dproberts". I have been looking around here for a while and would like to inteact with this cordial community. I don't usually walk very far on my walks as my knees do not allow that sort of exercise, so I usually keep my walks a round 45 minutes doing a lap in my neighbourhood in the North Of England.

I would like to ask the people if they know of any good walks aorund my area which would not last longer than 60 minutes beacause of my knees. I can drive and get the bus if that is necessary. I should not be more specific than North Of England as I have had issues in the past with internet kids finding my address and harrassing me :(

Any way, hope we can all chat soon and I can update you on how I am walking. ;P
He was both everything I could ever want…
And nothing I could ever have…

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: New Member from the NORTH OF ENGLAND ;)
« Reply #1 on: 10:35:50, 16/11/20 »
'I have had issues in the past with internet kids finding my address and harassing me'

Welcome from Portsmouth. Any ideas why this the 'harassment' has happened to you, it's never happened to me in my city? Why I wonder do they want to single you out?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:53:56, 16/11/20 »
Many of us will know many great walks in the North of England, but the area is huge. You could certainly narrow down the area hugely given that you are using the  pseudonym of a famous American sports star and the fact that your email is not public and you can block any private internal posts from other forum members, should you wish.
So please let us know NE, NW, Northumberland, Durham, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Cumberland, some inkling may allow us to give appropriate suggestions.
Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:58:15, 16/11/20 »
Welcpme - N of England is far to vague a term to help really.  For some folk that is anywhere above Watford!
I suggest you have a look at the OS website  or the ViewRanger site in the first instance.  They have more routes than you can shake a stick at and you can run searches to find walks between a shortest and longest mileage limit.
Solvitur Ambulando

RAVE

« Reply #4 on: 14:34:13, 16/11/20 »
Many of us will know many great walks in the North of England, but the area is huge. You could certainly narrow down the area hugely given that you are using the  pseudonym of a famous American sports star and the fact that your email is not public and you can block any private internal posts from other forum members, should you wish.
So please let us know NE, NW, Northumberland, Durham, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Cumberland, some inkling may allow us to give appropriate suggestions.
Hello, I live near Yorkshire.

I am not using any pseudonym, it is my name. Could you please advise me on how to block my posts from certain users in case a time comes when I am harassed again. Thank you .

:)

RAVE

« Reply #5 on: 14:34:42, 16/11/20 »
Welcpme - N of England is far to vague a term to help really.  For some folk that is anywhere above Watford!
I suggest you have a look at the OS website  or the ViewRanger site in the first instance.  They have more routes than you can shake a stick at and you can run searches to find walks between a shortest and longest mileage limit.
Thanks for the response

RAVE

« Reply #6 on: 14:36:49, 16/11/20 »
'I have had issues in the past with internet kids finding my address and harassing me'

Welcome from Portsmouth. Any ideas why this the 'harassment' has happened to you, it's never happened to me in my city? Why I wonder do they want to single you out?
I live in a very small part of my neighbourhood on a farm. The kids like to harass me online when I say I lived on farm. I got lots of nasty insults from them (which I won't go over here). Thanks.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:02:34, 16/11/20 »
(A) Never use your real name on any forum.

(B) Read the forum introductions and guidelines

(C) PM the forum administrator and ask him to block all PMs to you. You can do so yourself by pressing the middle icon above, the head, and go into the modify area, in there you can specify who can pm you.

(D) Go on, give us a clue as to which area in the North you want info on, you don't even have to live there. So we can take it you don't live in Yorkshire as you live near there,which narrows your area of interest down to Lancashire, Cumbria, or the historic county of Durham, still an enormous area.
« Last Edit: 18:36:13, 16/11/20 by jimbob »
Too little, too late, too bad......

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:43:59, 16/11/20 »
Welcome from the north east of Scotland

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:37:15, 16/11/20 »
Welcome from the West Yorkshire North Yorkshire boundary. (Lancashire is only 5 miles away, but we don't often mention that)

Regarding your knee problems, I really can't recommend poles enough. They have turned me from doing about just over a mile on sealed surfaces to regularly doing 4 to 5 miles over all types of surfaces. (Hence the user name) Will sometimes walk further, but it depends how my knees are.
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:48:40, 16/11/20 »
Welcome from Suffolk.

As per shortwalker poles can make a real difference. It might be obvious to others but I was told if you have one problem knee (which I have) to use a pole on the other side. That is bad right knee use a pole in the left hand. It made a dramatic improvement for me.

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:16:40, 16/11/20 »
Welcome from Suffolk.

As per shortwalker poles can make a real difference. It might be obvious to others but I was told if you have one problem knee (which I have) to use a pole on the other side. That is bad right knee use a pole in the left hand. It made a dramatic improvement for me.

I walk using a pair of poles, means I can take the strain off both knees. The problem (i have been told) in using only one pole is that you still end up relying more on your good knee. which means you may end up with the same problem in that knee. Or as often happens you change how you walk you put more strain on your hip(s).
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:53:41, 16/11/20 »

I walk using a pair of poles, means I can take the strain off both knees. The problem (i have been told) in using only one pole is that you still end up relying more on your good knee. which means you may end up with the same problem in that knee. Or as often happens you change how you walk you put more strain on your hip(s).
We are probably hijacking the welcome post, but yes that's the risk of doing anything different. My knee problem is manageable down here in flat Suffolk without the need for poles unless on a really long walk. It's a real problem on hilly ground especially on descents when a pole makes a real difference, in fact I probably couldn't do much at all without it. Part of this is of course due to the fact I but rarely make it up north other than holidays. :-\

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:17:08, 16/11/20 »
To the OP, I would also advocate the use of a pair of poles.  With good technique it is possible to transfer a significant amount of effort and weight from your legs to your arms.  It is tiring at first but as your arms gain strength you can achieve a significant improvement over legs alone.
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:37:05, 16/11/20 »
To the OP, I would also advocate the use of a pair of poles.  With good technique it is possible to transfer a significant amount of effort and weight from your legs to your arms.  It is tiring at first but as your arms gain strength you can achieve a significant improvement over legs alone.
I agree. I have had knee problems for 40+ years. While good technique can help your knees, bad technique can leave you flat on your face - probably best to start on the flat (unlike me).

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy