Author Topic: My Yorkshire Wolds Way walk - May 2018  (Read 2601 times)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
My Yorkshire Wolds Way walk - May 2018
« on: 19:54:59, 10/06/18 »
I know the Yorkshire Wolds aren't as "glamorous" as the lakes or Snowdonia etc but I had a really enjoyable 5 day walk completing my 11th National Trail, The Yorkshire Wolds Way and have now added it to my website if anyone wants to read/like/share it.

http://www.brians-walks.co.uk/yorkshire-wolds-way.html

LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
Re: My Yorkshire Wolds Way walk - May 2018
« Reply #1 on: 09:25:56, 11/06/18 »
Excellent trip report, thank you. I have walked just about all of it at various times, it's good to see that it is still beautiful. I need to get out there again.

ilona

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:39:44, 11/06/18 »
Nice report - I have walked bits of this round South Cave and Market Weighton and quite fancy doing the whole thing - you've not put me off!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:38:34, 11/06/18 »
Read your blog last night - great write up Bri  O0   You're right, just because they don't have the rocky gnarl of the mountains, doesn't mean they're a doddle and you can certainly work up a sweat (and an appetite) on some of the long slow ascents as well as the short sharp ones.

Only one concern though.... they're not YOUR Yorkshire Wolds.... they're MINE  >:D   :P

Steve922

« Reply #4 on: 23:06:22, 12/06/18 »
Nice write up - enjoyed the read and pics. I fancy it myself!   Though you don't half get a move on. 12.3 miles in 4 hours is an easy day?

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:22:32, 13/06/18 »

Only one concern though.... they're not YOUR Yorkshire Wolds.... they're MINE  >:D   :P

We can share them Mel, I have them in dry weather and you have them in mud, lol

Nice write up - enjoyed the read and pics. I fancy it myself!   Though you don't half get a move on. 12.3 miles in 4 hours is an easy day?

On that day, there was a lot of flat easy walking on roads, tracks and grassy paths so the miles went really quickly without much effort  O0

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Steve922

« Reply #6 on: 09:34:21, 13/06/18 »
Hee hee. 3 mph is my top speed and I can't keep that up for long. My average speed is a little more than half that!
The whole route looks like it has quite a few features which are very attractive to me: Not all that hilly, lack of 'animals bigger than me' and plenty of wildcamping opportunities. Would that be right?   Oh, and the quiet A very attractive feature indeed!

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:14:03, 13/06/18 »
Steve 22 you are not the only one. I sometimes think I hardly move, and I don't. Other times I shock myself when I look at my timings and shock myself having gone over 3 mph.

If you do the Yorkshire Wolds from N to S then you can cross the Humber and continue down the Viking Way to Rutland.
And then if you are up for it I believe you can join the Hereward Way for another 100 miles down to Cambridgeshire.
And  I didnt even mention starting off the stroll with the Cleveland Way which ends where the Yorkshire Wolds begins.
Too little, too late, too bad......

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:17:50, 13/06/18 »
Hee hee. 3 mph is my top speed and I can't keep that up for long. My average speed is a little more than half that!
The whole route looks like it has quite a few features which are very attractive to me: Not all that hilly, lack of 'animals bigger than me' and plenty of wildcamping opportunities. Would that be right?   Oh, and the quiet A very attractive feature indeed!

I'm a Postman so 3mph seems like a dawdle  :D :D

I only saw cows a couple of times in the same field as me but plenty sheep. There are only a couple of short steep sections, the rest of the ascents are quite gentle, in my opinion. It was certainly quiet, which I enjoyed. A few weeks earlier I walked the North Downs Way and it was a pleasant walk but the noise of Motorway traffic was in my ears for a lot of the time.

Can't advise about the wild camping as I wasn't looking but the route goes through a lot of farmland and the official website lists a few places that have campsites or allow camping.

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:44:34, 13/06/18 »
We can share them Mel, I have them in dry weather and you have them in mud, lol

MMMMmmmmmmm.......nope  ;)

Seferix

« Reply #10 on: 10:11:32, 15/06/18 »
Lovely report on your website. One I need to do I think!
214 Wainwrights Completed Once, 173 a Second

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/channel/UCMk8fw1H8m1Mm8jl9kjaDLQ

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy