Author Topic: Taking a drone in the hills  (Read 7083 times)

hongkongphooey

Taking a drone in the hills
« on: 10:11:56, 27/03/19 »
Has anyone any views or experience - My two main questions are around is the weight an obstacle and is it seen is sociably acceptable?

chrismen

Re: Taking a drone in the hills
« Reply #1 on: 10:57:01, 27/03/19 »
Has anyone any views or experience - My two main questions are around is the weight an obstacle and is it seen is sociably acceptable?
I was on a walk last year, and spent ages looking for the source of a high-pitched buzzing noise. Eventually I realised it was a cyclist with a drone tracking him, no doubt filming his exploits.
The noise is pretty intrusive, so I suspect if it becomes common there will be a negative reaction. And many people will object to being filmed without their consent.
Just my €0.02’s worth ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:38:08, 27/03/19 »
I have a drone to check the state of my gutters - it was a gift and I cannot find another use for it.  I agree the noise in intrusive and adversely affect your enjoyment of the wide open spaces.  Personally, I just don't see the need to film your exploits, it is some form of narcissism IMHO along with publishing your GoPro movies on t'interweb.  Another is the issue of their effect on livestock. 

Drones are already banned on parts of Dartmoor if the signs I have seen are to be believed.
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:13:49, 27/03/19 »
Yes, banned over the Dartmoor commons
http://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/enjoy-dartmoor/outdoor-activities/drones-and-model-aircraft

I've no axe to grind. I enjoy the videos giving an aerial view though appreciate that livestock could react badly if buzzed - just confirming Ninthace's comment.
« Last Edit: 12:16:56, 27/03/19 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:45:47, 27/03/19 »
I personally have no issue with drones and enjoy the footage I’ve seen on you tube, it gives a different perspective on walks. I don’t have one myself but I do have a GoPro and like the results that it gives, each to their own I say.

Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Petrolhead

« Reply #5 on: 12:59:27, 27/03/19 »
Hmmm...

Trying to be diplomatic...

Personally I thoroughly dislike them. The noise is about as fun as a dentist drill and there is very much the intrusion aspect of filming someone without their consent.

I was in Richmond Park recently and there was someone flying their drone around the deer. I was stood next to a guy who was getting more and more irate about it until he eventually spotted the person responsible. He marched over to him, took out his phone, shoved it in the guys face pretending to (or maybe actually) film him while doing his own impression of the horrible buzzing noise we could all hear.

A bit extreme maybe but it reflected the views of seeminly everyone else in the vacinity. A couple of people actually clapped him.

We also had a good three miles of a walk in the Easten Sierras ruined by a drone that, for all I could tell, was actively following us. We couldn't see another person for the entire time it was with us.

Think about how you would feel if you're out in the middle of nowhere enjoying the tranquil serenity and then someone sits down next to you and pulls out a ghetto blaster and starts playing some death metal and proceeds to film you at the same time.

What's the difference? Not a great deal in my opinion. My example is obviously a more direct intrusion but...

If you care at all about the enjoyment of others in the places you visit, I'd say use it very very carefully. Preferably not at all, as honestly I'm not sure it's something you can do responsibly (or at least seem to be!).

Is you having your great footage worth spoiling the moment for others?

It's one of those situations where the only person who will get any enjoyment from the noise (and the filming intrusion) is you. For everyone else it's a nuisance.

Rant over.

roughyed

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:00:58, 27/03/19 »
Some of the smaller drones are very portable (in compactness and weight).

Personally I don't use mine in a busy place and if there are many people about in the general area.  Used responsibly they are fine.  'Buzzing' round other people can be annoying.  If I want to take pictures/film of a popular place, I would get up very early or stay late and try and be the first person around. 

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:11:41, 27/03/19 »
Some of the smaller drones are very portable (in compactness and weight).

Personally I don't use mine in a busy place and if there are many people about in the general area.  Used responsibly they are fine.  'Buzzing' round other people can be annoying.  If I want to take pictures/film of a popular place, I would get up very early or stay late and try and be the first person around.
Can’t argue with that  O0

Pitboot

« Reply #8 on: 14:51:45, 27/03/19 »
Diplomacy be damned. I hate them. They have no place in the great outdoors. If you want a nice picture climb higher.
I found a couple flying one over Tarn Hows a few weeks ago and they are banned on NT land. informed the wardens but don't know if they took action.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:43:23, 27/03/19 »
I use my drone now and again, the weight is an issue when were carrying camping gear, but I love the footage and interest it brings to my videos

The noise is pretty intrusive, so I suspect if it becomes common there will be a negative reaction. And many people will object to being filmed without their consent.
Just my €0.02’s worth ...
The noise can be an issue for some people, however, we all have to tolerate each other,
As far as consent, I don't need anyone consent, the same could be said for cameras, or phones taking video or pictures

I have a drone to check the state of my gutters - it was a gift and I cannot find another use for it.  I agree the noise in intrusive and adversely affect your enjoyment of the wide open spaces.  Personally, I just don't see the need to film your exploits, it is some form of narcissism IMHO along with publishing your GoPro movies on t'interweb.  Another is the issue of their effect on livestock. 

Drones are already banned on parts of Dartmoor if the signs I have seen are to be believed.
Noise can spoil your enjoyment, do you think drones should be banned?
If so, what about aeroplanes,  paramotors, powered hang gliders, barking dogs, people shouting, wearing too much after shave or perfume, causing some of us to have an asthma attack, smokers poisoning our lungs, cars with loud exhausts, people shouting down their mobile phones etc. Should these be banned too?

Just because you don't see why people want to film themselves and post them on the web, doesn't mean a lot of people don't enjoy what they do, you only have to look on YouTube to see how many enjoy it,
I personally enjoy making films, and looking back at them to relive the memories, and I post them because I know other people enjoy watching them
I usually fly when we are wild camping, and everyone else has gone home,
As far as livestock, I always fly my drone with respect to people, animals, and the environment, we even pick up other peoples litter whilst out on the fells
I think you have a very narrow minded view about drones and other people's enjoyment, the fells are there to be shared by everyone,
Live and let live eh.
There are laws for flying drones, those of us who fly responsibly are being lawful, and are doing nothing wrong
I understand people getting annoyed about drones that are being flown illegally,
When drones are flown properly they would rarely be a nuisance, and you would hardly hear them when they are at least
150feet away
You can download the drone code here

https://dronesafe.uk/dron

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:04:55, 27/03/19 »

Noise can spoil your enjoyment, do you think drones should be banned?
If so, what about aeroplanes,  paramotors, powered hang gliders, barking dogs, people shouting, wearing too much after shave or perfume, causing some of us to have an asthma attack, smokers poisoning our lungs, cars with loud exhausts, people shouting down their mobile phones etc. Should these be banned too?

You just listed a lot of my favourite bugbears!

Just because you don't see why people want to film themselves and post them on the web, doesn't mean a lot of people don't enjoy what they do, you only have to look on YouTube to see how many enjoy it,
I did not say I did not see why, I said I didn't understand the motivation.  I don't understand selfies either.  I know what I look like, what I did and where I did it but I don't feel the need to record it and share it.  If you want to, fill your boots, provided it is legal and considerate.
Solvitur Ambulando

Petrolhead

« Reply #11 on: 17:38:25, 27/03/19 »
Beefy, that's why I used my example of someone playing their music in public spaces. There's no law against it but it's one of those small "quality of life" type issues that most people would avoid, and they'd look at people who did it as a pain. It's totally legal but most of us wouldn't out of respect for others. Or as another for instance, taking your example of loud exhausts... one of my cars has a switchable "noisy" mode. And it is earth shatteringly noisy. In a tunnel it sounds absolutely immense and I love it, but that's just my view and I'm well aware that it could be very unpleasant for others, maybe even frightening to some. It's perfectly legal (as far as I'm aware) to have it bouncing off the rev limiter in a tunnel, but I wouldn't out of consideration for other road users.

I don't think there's a law about loud and smelly public burping either... but...

I see drone flying in public spaces, especially the quiet places, as the same sort of issue. As much as you're doing it carefully and with consideration in your opinion, how do you know it's not driving someone else nearby totally crazy? I bet if you had the chance to interview everyone within ear shot of it very few would be saying "thumbs up mate, go ahead".

Same with not needing consent to film people. If you saw someone filming in your direction, continually, wouldn't you feel even a slight invasion of your privacy? You might not be filming people directly but that doesn't mean it wouldn't make some people very uncomfortable.

I see it as a public decency issue, not a legal one. The "we all have to tolerate each other" view should work both ways no? Imagine walking through a tunnel and me turning up in my car and making your ears hurt. Would you just look at it as being ok because we have to tolerate each other? You'd most likely look at me as being a complete **** and probably quite rightly!

Not at all having a go mate, far from it. Just adding a balance of opinion. It's not only the view of the drone user that is to be considered, it's how everyone within ear shot (and indeed the people who really do not wish to be filmed) reacts to it. The singular vs the many. How does the drone user know that what they view as doing it in consideration isn't seemingly the exact opposite to others. They couldn't possibly.

I'd absolutely love a drone. I have a small quadcopter and can fly it pretty damn well (if I do say so myself!) after years of practice. I'm sure I could make footage I'd be really happy with if I had one. And indeed, I've enjoyed some of your own drone footage (at least I think it was yours if I remember correctly).

This is all pretty moot though to be honest because soon enough, someone will use one for an act of terror and they'll all be banned immediately. It's only a matter of time surely.

And Ninthace, I'm with you, I simply can NOT understand the selfie obsession. It's not a good development for the world to be so self absorbed. But I do totally understand why someone would want some drone footage. It looks amazing. Unless of course it's some weird spinning drone selfie!

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:12:32, 27/03/19 »
I have one main bugbear in the great outdoors and that is illegal off roaders, not those used legally, i’ll Just avoid them, just those used illegally. But on this issue I’m with Beefy, used responsibly and legally I have no problem and enjoy, even envy some of the footage I see. I couldn’t care less one way or the other about selfies, not my thing personally but it doesn’t hurt anyone does it. To suggest (that’s how it sounds) that those who use drones, or that those who record their adventures are somehow narcissistic, is judgemental and a little silly quite frankly.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:43:19, 27/03/19 »
Just because a drone is in the air it doesn't necessarily mean it is filming or that the camera is pointing in your direction. It is the same when someone has a camera in their hand. They aren't necessarily taking a photo or pointing it at you.

I haven't got time at the moment to list all of the things that annoy me that other people do when I'm out on a walk  :D

I will be posting a trip report later. Is it being narcissistic making trip reports or having a blog or website? Or even posting photos on here? Should we all give up and not share our happy times when we are out and about?
Hate will never win

Petrolhead

« Reply #14 on: 19:14:45, 27/03/19 »
Just because a drone is in the air it doesn't necessarily mean it is filming or that the camera is pointing in your direction. It is the same when someone has a camera in their hand. They aren't necessarily taking a photo or pointing it at you.

I haven't got time at the moment to list all of the things that annoy me that other people do when I'm out on a walk  :D

I will be posting a trip report later. Is it being narcissistic making trip reports or having a blog or website? Or even posting photos on here? Should we all give up and not share our happy times when we are out and about?

Yes but the people on the ground don't know that they're not being filmed. And they probably are. Nor does a camera make a constant and extremely annoying (to some) noise.

If a camera kept you in its field of view, constantly, and made a loud, disturbing noise, constantly, then yep it would be the same.

As for things that annoy you while you're out walking, I'm going out on a limb here but maybe I wouldn't be far off if I said that most of them are things that decent folk wouldn't do out of respect for others, am I wrong? Making sure their kids aren't screaming for example.

Finally... the trip report bit, my god no, definitely not. Yours and Beefy's TRs and VRs are some of the best things about this entire forum in my opinion!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy