Author Topic: Summer Walking  (Read 3216 times)

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
Re: Summer Walking
« Reply #15 on: 18:35:24, 12/08/20 »
I went out yesterday, too hot really but I wanted to get out of the house. Five and a bit miles, mainly along field edges. Should take a couple of hours but I made extra stops to sit in the shade, so it took three hours. I wear shorts and teeshirt, when it's very hot, or a skirt when not so hot. Don't like feeling sweaty with trousers on.

ilona

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 19:37:01, 12/08/20 »
Today in NE Scotland you would have needed a winter rucksack to carry all the different gear you would need on a walk. Early morning we had big thunderstorms rattling the windows and lighting the sky with simultaneous flashes. These were accompanied by hail and torrential rain. The the coulda departed and we had a clear blue sky, no wind and very non- Scottish humidity. At 1830 it was 29 C in our north facing kitchen. Nowadays heat and humidity quickly bring me to a halt. Bring on the colder weather.

At least we managed to avoid the worst of the storms. Our drive was under water for a short period, but none of the floods seen closer to the coast, which seem to have contributed to a fatal train derailment.

My current work project involves four hours a day, stuck in from of my Lap top at home in Cornwall, chatting to our team in Scotland.  They were in shock this morning after the weather last night. Sounds like you got some proper tropical rain and lightning up there. :o

fatmanwalking

« Reply #17 on: 19:43:37, 12/08/20 »
I've learned to just love it regardless of how much harder it makes things. That said I'm blessed because I can choose between a circuit that's 90% under cover of trees or another which is wide open to the elements. I find myself using the covered route when it's around 32 degrees. It's still hot but considerably better.

Funny thing is my bottle of water the other day was still ice cold by the time I reached a bench I like to sit on, I was properly boiling, so I dumped water over my head and it was so cold I nearly caused myself a heart attack. lol.

oh, I just remembered seeing a lady running about in the direct sun and she wasn't carrying any water, later I looked it up online and it seems many runners will do up to 15 miles without drinking any water during as to avoid carrying the container. I find that so hard to even imagine.
« Last Edit: 19:46:53, 12/08/20 by fatmanwalking »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 19:51:25, 12/08/20 »
I don't carry water when I'm running, I tipple myself from getting up and I'm nicely tanked up when I start. I keep a container in the car but rarely touch it, I drink water again when I get home. Water whilst running makes me feel sluggish.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 20:20:31, 12/08/20 »
I drink squash when walking but try to limit it , and wait till I sit and enjoy plenty of tea from my 1 litre flask, with my food , which today was at the 7 mile mark  .

I walked ten mile . I peed one time when I was out , from 6 am till I arrived home at 3pm including two hours driving. I walked in a lot of forest near to Ludlow town and took advantage of the shade . I usually avoid forests but in this weather needs must .

I always wear a wide brimmed hat , just taking it off under shade if there is a breeze .  ;)

I think as we age we suffer more from high temperatures .. :-\
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 20:58:14, 12/08/20 »

My current work project involves four hours a day, stuck in from of my Lap top at home in Cornwall, chatting to our team in Scotland.  They were in shock this morning after the weather last night. Sounds like you got some proper tropical rain and lightning up there. :o
It did get a bit lively. I think we missed the worst of it. There appeared to be 2 main tracks: one further west more towards the Cairngorms and the other along the coast. There were still storms between these, but not as intense.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 17:00:44, 18/08/20 »
Despite the heat and having recently turned 70 (she won't mind me saying that), Mrs N has upped the pace of our walks to the point where I can now only pass her if she is going uphill.  Today as we were trotting along (well me trotting behind, she striding out in front) she said that according to the internet we were achieving the same average speed as a fit 20 year old.

All I can say is when I catch him, I am going to cripple the so and so to slow him down to my pace!  >:(
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 17:45:49, 18/08/20 »
All I can say is when I catch him, I am going to cripple the so and so to slow him down to my pace!  >:(

:2funny:

I can remember being amazed by your pace ninthace. For an elder chap you're practically a sports car. Bet you'd still beat me going down steep hills.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 18:10:44, 20/08/20 »
Despite the heat and having recently turned 70 (she won't mind me saying that), Mrs N has upped the pace of our walks to the point where I can now only pass her if she is going uphill.  Today as we were trotting along (well me trotting behind, she striding out in front) she said that according to the internet we were achieving the same average speed as a fit 20 year old.

Keep practising.  You'll get the hand of this walking lark one day.  I can train and push as hard as I like and our son will still be waiting for me at the top.  ;D

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 18:22:56, 20/08/20 »

Keep practising.  You'll get the hand of this walking lark one day.  I can train and push as hard as I like and our son will still be waiting for me at the top.  ;D
Yes, these young people can be really irritating (she is 3 weeks my junior).  I can still beat her to the top of the hill though, it is the downhills and flats where I find myself following her back - and a very lovely back it is too.  I just wonder, is it normal for a septuagenarian lady to cruise at just shy of 4mph without apparent effort  or is it me?   
Solvitur Ambulando

Ronin83

« Reply #25 on: 11:15:44, 21/08/20 »
Shorts in the heat. Can't stand wearing trousers, the swamp ass is unbearable. Sport shorts from decathlon with zip up pockets are perfect.
I can always pull my socks up to protect against stuff.

I simply wouldn't go somewhere exposed on a hot day, it's just not enjoyable. The difference some trees can make is brilliant. It was hot when we walked 3 days in Spain on an alternative camino lebaniego route, but the first and last day had lots of water to jump in along the way. The 2nd day was a bit rough. I struggled at one point and had to stop in a tiny bit of shade, the only bit for miles. I think the brimmed hat was a life saver.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #26 on: 11:50:37, 23/08/20 »
On the really hot days I avoid waking I  don't enjoy the heat. The countryside looks its best then but its no fun yomping miles with no shelter. I wear a hat plus have hiking sandals and spray plenty of insect repellant.  I opt for woodland walks rather than moorland where there's trees.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 12:40:27, 23/08/20 »
The recent heat in the UK was a bit tough because it was also quite humid. That makes all the difference. Dry heat is so much easier to deal with, even if temperatures are much higher.

Fortunately, the UK has a very nice climate. I lived in Taiwan for 4 years and in the summer there it is >30C and 80% humidity at sea level. That is tough hiking. Of course it gets a bit better when you reach some elevation. But I really like the UK climate (especially southern England). It is suitable for activity year round.

My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 13:01:29, 23/08/20 »
In Scotland it is usually midges, rather than humidity, that affects walking in summer months.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 13:10:51, 23/08/20 »
In Scotland it is usually midges, rather than humidity, that affects walking in summer months.

Heheh! Definitely! And clegs and horseflies in some areas in the summer. They sneak up on you from behind and bite you in the back of your arm while walking.

My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy