Author Topic: [Trip Report] Rushup to Mam Tor and Lose Hill  (Read 3636 times)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
[Trip Report] Rushup to Mam Tor and Lose Hill
« on: 23:17:56, 18/10/08 »
Date of walk - 11/10/08
Weather - Fine to start with, very low cloud later.
Distance - 9.4 Miles
Panoramic images? - Yes, ask and I'll post a link.

As per tradition and with the permission of crown copyright I give you the route map.

This walk was partly to repeat a previous one (where I got my camera setting in a twist) but also to extend it as part of our training for the British Heart Foundation High Peak Trail walk (yes I'll be asking for sponsorship - http://www.justgiving.com/darrenclarke3).

So something fairly challenging but interesting was the order of the day. But first a survey of the terrain.

This wasn't our usual route through Edale, so we eventualy crossed the rail line from above.

This also gave us a view of Chapel Gate track, our ascent to Rushup Edge. Now this picture doesn't show it but there were many groups looking to gain navigation badges. Thankfully we were mainly out of the way and enjoyed a quiet walk.

Halfway up chapel, and passing a group taking barings, you can see a lovely folded landscape.

The top is sadly less inspiring.

An interesting view of the mining operation is available though. It does catch they eye but perhaps for the wrong reasons.

Previously Lords Seat has been busy. Today only one person was around, drinking tea and like us drinking in the scenery. A nice point to stop at on the day. No Gliders today though.

Eventually we headed towards Mam Tor.  There are some rather unusual hills down below. Obviously not natural, does anyone know what they are?

Also the following message which looks incomplete.

Eventually we got to the top of Mam Tor.

All the time we were walking we were very aware of low cloud on the surrounding hills. So we didn't linger but headed off.

Straight across Hollins Cross

Up Back Tor, which was easier than I thought.

Then onto Lose Hill. At this point the cloud had seriously rolled in.  Visibilty had gone from 5 or 6 miles to probably half a mile. Well the paths here are clear and easy, plus we had the clothing to cope with much much worse. An unusual experience shown by these two pictures. Ones I call where's the valley gone?

So we got a bit damp but had a great walk. One I think we'll do again when we can actually get some views. Maybe Win Hill as well.

© Dazza
« Last Edit: 23:26:41, 02/10/09 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
Re: [Trip Report] Rushup to Mam Tor and Lose Hill
« Reply #1 on: 17:15:45, 11/01/09 »
Hi Dazza,

Some great photos there! I've done this route myself and think it's great! O0

Eventually we headed towards Mam Tor.  There are some rather unusual hills down below. Obviously not natural, does anyone know what they are?

Actually, these are entirely natural. The hillside here is unstable and prone to slippage and what you are seeing here are the results of many centuries of landslips. The east side of Mam Tor is of particular interest in this respect as the landslips resulted in the closure of a section of the road (formerly the A625). The road, built originally in 1819 to bypass the steep Winnats Pass, suffered many closures and repairs over the years as a result of damage from the landslips and was finally closed for good after another landslip in 1979. The council responsible for the roads upkeep decided to give up trying to fight mother nature!

Next time you're in the area why not take a trip down to the closed section of road? The extent of the damage just goes to show the awesome power of nature.
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

stevieboy378

« Reply #2 on: 15:50:05, 12/01/09 »
The east side of Mam Tor is of particular interest in this respect as the landslips resulted in the closure of a section of the road (formerly the A625). The road, built originally in 1819 to bypass the steep Winnats Pass, suffered many closures and repairs over the years as a result of damage from the landslips and was finally closed for good after another landslip in 1979. The council responsible for the roads upkeep decided to give up trying to fight mother nature!

Next time you're in the area why not take a trip down to the closed section of road? The extent of the damage just goes to show the awesome power of nature.

That old road is indeed worthy of investigation - the evidence of the (sometimes laughable ) attempts to repair the crumbling road are as fascinating to see as the devastation caused by the landslips . . . . I'm at work at the moment, but when I get home I'll post up a few piccies I took last time I was there . . .
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ! . . .
. . . .except the weasels." - Homer Simpson

Steve Wilcox

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:41:20, 12/01/09 »
A lovely walk Darren - I used to take my girls walking down there - the crooked road they called it.

I was at Sheffield Uni in the 70's and the lecturer who used to take geomorphology was doing a doctorate on the Mam Tor landslip. He was meticulous with his measurements, but everytime he went to finish his thesis, the landslip would move again. I often wondered if he ever got finished. It's a rotational landslip and is no doubt creeping slowly along as I write this

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:39:04, 17/01/09 »
Well I hope he managed to finish his Thesis!

Apart from what the moving land has done to the road, everytime I walk across or near it I'm amazed that anyone thinks it was a senisble place to put a major road in the first place.

Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:23:09, 17/01/09 »
It must have been worrying driving up there in the wet weather. It used to be the old bus route. There are a few landslips over in the Snake Pass (they repair the road now and again), and a big one at Alport Castles above Alport Dale called the Tower.

The land on the left has slumped away from the rockface on the right

and this is looking down on the same

Not a bad place for a walk starting at Derwent reservoir at the information centre

dellwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 00:28:49, 23/01/09 »
Looking to do this walk on Saturday but I will continue on from Lose Hill down to Hope where I will get the train back to Sheffield.

Wind is forcast from the East so it should be behind me on the more exposed parts of the walk.

The Knobs

« Reply #7 on: 22:21:20, 23/01/09 »
We are up at Castleton next weekend, will try this route if weathers ok.

The Knobs

« Reply #8 on: 18:08:27, 02/02/09 »
Did this route but starting and finishing at the caravan site at Castleton. Weather was bright and crisp with a cutting cold wind. Cant believe such good weather for the end of Jan, just the bloody snow last night. Had to dismantle the awning off the motorhome in snow and wind this morning, great fun. Molly ( springer not the other half ) had a brilliant time on the walk, and even more fun today in the snow. Anyway wont be back to castleton til the middle of March , hopefuuly to some more good weather.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy