Author Topic: ME Lhotse & Dannah Alpine jacket  (Read 3104 times)

nesty

ME Lhotse & Dannah Alpine jacket
« on: 18:28:39, 28/12/18 »
I am looking for ideas for decent weatherproof jacket.  I don’t climb mountains, as in scaling, but sometimes do hill walking such as Peak (Dark) District, Lake District (as Scafell pike the last of the 3 peaks for me to do) and maybe Scotland Highlands again for 2019.
I have a Paramo Helki and Keela Munro. The Helki did ok in the peak district, but then towards the end of the trip started wetting out, maybe as continuously used it for 10 days, though with the Munro I found it difficult to just pack away, so looking for a decent lightweight jacket, which can take some weather abuse when required!
I know these top of the range, but I don’t mind paying for a decent product as long as it lasts.
I was in Go outdoors and looked at the Mountain equipment Lhotse, seems very good build quality though they didn’t have my size in to actually try on.
Another jacket I have noticed is the Dannah waterproof alpine jacket lightweight. (link below). I like the fact it’s UK made and the person who designed it has a long tradition in the industry, also there is the eco thing I also like.
http://scottishmountaineer.com/dannah-alpine-jacket-review/
I realise these maybe overkill for my activities, though if these jackets are good quality or if anyone else has some ideas to look at let me know!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: ME Lhotse & Dannah Alpine jacket
« Reply #1 on: 21:01:04, 28/12/18 »

I've had a Mountain Equipment Lhotse for a few years now; it is now in it's 4th Orkney winter - and our rain is horizontal!

I have got nothing but praise for this jacket - the best that I have owned, and I would buy the same again without hesitation.

Edit - you'll find the Lhotse cropping up a few times in this recent thread - http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=37700.0  - and the answer is YES.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

nesty

« Reply #2 on: 21:14:07, 28/12/18 »
Many thanks for the reply. The Lhotse does sound like a decent jacket for all applications!

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:01:39, 29/12/18 »
I also use and recommend the Lhotse, great jacket, though not cheap.  Not heard of the Dannah , but the review looks good.  I did have an eVent jacket which the reviewer likens this to, which I found sweaty, but I'm not a great judge as i walk very hot.
« Last Edit: 08:17:52, 29/12/18 by pdstsp »

nesty

« Reply #4 on: 11:46:06, 29/12/18 »
I also use and recommend the Lhotse, great jacket, though not cheap.  Not heard of the Dannah , but the review looks good.  I did have an eVent jacket which the reviewer likens this to, which I found sweaty, but I'm not a great judge as i walk very hot.

Many thanks. The Lhotse is probably the safer bet as numbers have it. Also I can least try it on a bit prior to purchase, wherea's I like the Dannah, the price is similar to the Lhotse, though some reviews say the Dannah is very good on moving condensation whereas that review said it wasn't as good as Gortex Pro. The thing is I do run hot as well, also moving heat is a big factor for me. 

Yesterday, on ebay I had a 15% coupon, which would of bought the ME Lhotse down to £220, which I feel it reasonable price for a top quality product. 
« Last Edit: 11:49:16, 29/12/18 by nesty »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:50:52, 29/12/18 »
£220 for the Lhotse is a VERY good price, nesty.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:06:30, 29/12/18 »
It certainly is - price started with a 3 when I bought mine! 

nesty

« Reply #7 on: 12:07:32, 29/12/18 »
Unfortunately, the key word 'had', I thought the coupon was all weekend, but expired for that section yesterday evening. £220 was a fantastic price for red. Though should get £234, on Go Outdoors price match, (as a discount card holder).   Though, I really need to try one on, though I think I know the size which will fit me ok.  

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:25:28, 29/12/18 »
ME also do the Rupal Jacket in Gortex pro.  Great jacketj a similar design, just the two pockets at the front and a little cheaper, as a result.  O0

nesty

« Reply #9 on: 14:27:56, 29/12/18 »
ME also do the Rupal Jacket in Gortex pro.  Great jacketj a similar design, just the two pockets at the front and a little cheaper, as a result.  O0

Really, I didn't think that the Rupal was Gortex Pro? In the video it said it did not use Gortex pro. Though I can get that for £180 from Go, as a competitor is selling that for £200!
« Last Edit: 14:50:39, 29/12/18 by nesty »

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:05:44, 29/12/18 »
Not meaning to derail the thread but....so the Paramo started leaking after less than 2 weeks use? That's awful. I've got the Helki too and it's stood up to some harsh rain but that was fresh out of the packet.

Makes me wonder about relying on it. How bad did it leak and under what conditions?

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:31:06, 29/12/18 »
If your jacket leaked after two weeks I think you should take it back.  My Paramo stuff has kept me dry through years of Hebridean rain!

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:43:00, 29/12/18 »
If your jacket leaked after two weeks I think you should take it back.  My Paramo stuff has kept me dry through years of Hebridean rain!

Yeah but he spoke to Paramo and reproofed etc. One shouldn't get leaking. I cannot buy the idea of the jacket being "faulty". Sure Goretex jackets might have a peeling seam or somethjng but how can a Paramo just leak from new or after rerpoofing? What fault would it be? Should it be that sensitive to how it's useused or cared for?

I have a £100 Helly Hansen which I didn't wash for a couple of years. Never let in a single drop. It's not the most breathable and the surface wetted out but no leaks.

Either their QC is poor, which I doubt, or the system is oversensitive to conditions or contamination or something.

nesty

« Reply #13 on: 15:50:19, 29/12/18 »
Re the Helki, I did speak to Paramo when first got it and they gave me free re-proofing and everything was ok. Though what I meant to say was I took it to the Peak district, probably should of re-proofed it before I went, but after 10-12 days sweating the inside just felt damp, probably due to the fact the liner wasn't working perfectly. Wetting out maybe the wrong word to use. I have re-proofed it and it appears to be ok. I just want another jacket of a different system (I have a Bentu as well), just finding the Paramo reproofing a bit of a chore!     

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:40:05, 29/12/18 »
Re the Helki, I did speak to Paramo when first got it and they gave me free re-proofing and everything was ok. Though what I meant to say was I took it to the Peak district, probably should of re-proofed it before I went, but after 10-12 days sweating the inside just felt damp, probably due to the fact the liner wasn't working perfectly. Wetting out maybe the wrong word to use. I have re-proofed it and it appears to be ok. I just want another jacket of a different system (I have a Bentu as well), just finding the Paramo reproofing a bit of a chore!     

Ok cool. That doesn't sound too bad. I'm slightly concerned about getting caught out and getting soaked in cold conditions up a hill.

I'm not 100% convinced by my Paramo yet. For multi day backpacking use it can get wet and stay wet where a shell would dry in the tent as it's just a thin surface film of water. But it's a great softshell for winter.

If I was willing to spend the money I'd like one of those Berghaus Hyper shells which are like 100g as a backup or 2nd option.

You definitely need a shell for summer anyway. Couldn't wear any of my Paramo past Spring.
« Last Edit: 18:43:43, 29/12/18 by NeilC »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy