Author Topic: Pocklington Circular  (Read 5375 times)

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
Pocklington Circular
« on: 17:40:57, 02/10/07 »
Pocklington Circular 02/10/07

The first of my training walks for the Beverley 20 next Saturday.  Also, the first walk I’ve done alone since .. I forget when.  It was also a day to put my new Johnscliffe boots to the test (a case of count the blisters!)

I had decided on a 15 mile circular route around the village of Pocklington, in the heart of the Vale of York.  I had picked the route from an East Riding walking website, which – for some inexplicable reason – didn’t include a route, and so I was left to devise that myself.  It would be a case of link up forgotten footpaths and bridleways, with an absolute minimum of road walking.

My friend drove me to Pocklington (about 30 miles from Hull) and dropped me off at 8.00am.  I had little reason to dally and set about making some early morning headway.  Frost still clung to the grass, and the last whispers of mist faded away as the sun begun to claw through the clouds.  Almost immediately I realised the waymarking was all over the place, if it was there at all.  But I ploughed on and soon found myself in the cool shade of Pocklington woods, emerging from these I found myself walking along a country lane, next to a farm with a rottweiller blocking the path.  Now, I’m not afraid of dogs but this thing was determined that the lane was his and I wasn’t getting through. I’m not kidding you, if the beast of bodmin had come around the corner, this thing would have eaten it!  It was going absolutely mental: barking, frothing at the mouth, bounding all over the place.  I decided to just put on my best British face and carry on.  At one point the brute was up against me, daring me to look it in the eye – it was almost a relief to encounter the B road I had to walk along side.  The Hell Hound wandered away looking all dejected.

I eventually found the turn off I needed, and after some 15 minutes of walking through muddy fields found a sign saying: “Sulphuric acid has been used in this field on <<insert date>> please stay out for the next 96 hours.”  Only trouble was that there was no date. The sign seemed newish, and I thought: do I, or don’t I? I remembered Myzeneye’s comment about being an ‘asbo walker’ and carried on, looking dubiously at the old grass and stalks.  I couldn’t fathom why the blasted farmer hadn’t put a date on – too much trouble? Forgot?  :-\

I had planned on linking some of the excellent LDP “The Minster Way” with my old favourite “The Wolds Way”, celebrating its 25 Anniversary today, and followed some meandering tracks to the village of Millington.  This place was too idyllic for words, safe to say that I think I have found the village where I’m going to retire to, that is if they move the wopping great big hill in whose shadow it hides.  I was knackered walking up that thing and collapsed at the top in a pathetic heap.  I encountered a few ramblers here and was quite pleased when they wished me a “happy anniversary”.  From here on in, I was retracing steps I had already taken on previous jaunts and knew the area well, and so made good progress.  One thing that sticks in my mind was the amount of trails that criss cross through the area – The Wilberforce Way, The Chalkland Way, the Minster Way, it was almost as if every little footpath had been given a name.  All good to me if it means more waymarking!

I arrived back in Pocklington, via golf course, and was on the bus home by 2.30. My feet were in agony, and I felt like I started hiking for the first time again, making all the same mistakes.  All in all a good day, and a necessary one to break in my new boots!  :)

summitzero

• Veteran Member
Re: Pocklington Circular
« Reply #1 on: 09:35:06, 03/10/07 »
Nice pics and good info, keep us informed on your new boots Mr B
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:43:50, 03/10/07 »
That's looks an  interesting walk Mr B I must say!  Those picture are remarkable adequate Mr B and an  excellent thread/write up man.  I particular like the last two pictures fantastic Mr Blister. 
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:23:57, 04/10/07 »
Those picture are remarkable adequate Mr B 

ha ha ha ha - I'm an "adequate" photographer! Thanks.  ;D

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:58:44, 04/10/07 »
A great report Mr.B and good piccies to.
Must admit I've never heard of that Sulphuric Acid thing up here. Surely if theres a RoW across the field he as to leave that part clear.
Dave

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy