Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292127 times)

Birdman

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #1050 on: 11:57:59, 17/02/20 »
My Sea to Summit pillow hasn't leaked yet, I've had it about 4 years, mind you If I'd seen one at Decathlon I'm sure I would have bought their's instead.

It's a great purchase then! If I had a (near) guarantee that it would last 4 years I would definitely be willing to pay the high price because I found it really comfortable.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1051 on: 14:43:41, 17/02/20 »
A while ago I bought a small Decathlon neck pouch to carry my mobile phone and cards but it was always a bit too small for the phone, it protruded about an inch above the zip. I was in Millets this morning (our branch is closing down soon) and I bought one of their neck pouches, almost the same design, same materials but a bit longer, I can now carry my phone and can use the zip as well. Progress! All I have to do now is to pad the neckband so it doesn't make my neck sore.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1052 on: 15:15:08, 17/02/20 »
I usually carry my phone in its case in the pocket for that purpose in my Craghoppers.  I only go to the pouch option if it is really cold or wet when condensation is an issue.  The Aquapac pouch I have lets me use the phone without taking it out of the pouch.  The Pouch is a twist lock rather than zip fastening IIRC, it’s been a while since I used it.  It really is a last resort though as it such a faff to get to.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1053 on: 15:39:36, 17/02/20 »
I have one of those waterproof pouches, I always take it with me but have rarely used it except in long downpours. My new pouch can also take my passport as well. I like to use a neck pouch because I then know where all of my important stuff is, passport, phone, cards and cash. I also, as a personal security measure, ensure that it never leaves my body by wearing it 24 hrs a day which is why I need a comfortable neckband.

My other option is that I have a base layer with two pockets sewn onto the chest to hold my cards and money, again these important items are always with me, 'close to my chest.'

FOX160

« Reply #1054 on: 21:28:36, 17/02/20 »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1055 on: 13:39:19, 19/02/20 »
I ordered a Champion Typhoon waterproof single skin jacket and it arrived today, £6.90 including postage. Just to compare, my first waterproof jacket was a Paramo Alta 2 for £250. For £250 I could buy 36 Champion jackets!

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1056 on: 14:54:49, 19/02/20 »
I ordered a Champion Typhoon waterproof single skin jacket and it arrived today, £6.90 including postage. Just to compare, my first waterproof jacket was a Paramo Alta 2 for £250. For £250 I could buy 36 Champion jackets!

Some cheap stuff is perfectly usable :). I have a quite decent raincoat (Marmot Precip, bought for £67.99) but my rain trousers are Peter Storm £15. They are not super durable but I find them the best because they are so light that I can always carry them in the pocket of my rainjacket, so they are always there when I need them. Anything heavier I wouldn't bring and would therefore offer no protection at all.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1057 on: 14:59:29, 19/02/20 »
Walking is basically free. Though commercial companies would like you to believe that you need to spend hundreds of pounds first to make it possible. Some things are really worth the money, others aren't.

Hawkeye

« Reply #1058 on: 10:06:15, 20/02/20 »
Walking is basically free. Though commercial companies would like you to believe that you need to spend hundreds of pounds first to make it possible. Some things are really worth the money, others aren't.

Indeed our entire society is based around convincing the masses to consume.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1059 on: 10:36:05, 20/02/20 »

Agreed.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

EnglishHiker

« Reply #1060 on: 11:50:28, 20/02/20 »
I went on a bit of a splurge, fuelled by a NatWest switching bonus and some Birthday money. Picked up an Icebreaker marino wool base layer, a pair of Adidas Free Hiker GTX, A pair of Inov8 Roclite 345 GTX, a petzl tactika head torch (been meaning to pick one up for awhile now) and an Osprey Talon 22 backpack. Oh, and a book on knots and a water purification straw (no idea when I'll ever need to use this...) :D
I also bought a warmer coat for the pooch too, so she didn't feel left out.  ;D
Check out my new blog at
www.EnglishHiker.co.uk [nofollow]

Hadrian

« Reply #1061 on: 11:54:45, 20/02/20 »
I went on a bit of a splurge, fuelled by a NatWest switching bonus and some Birthday money. Picked up an Icebreaker marino wool base layer, a pair of Adidas Free Hiker GTX, A pair of Inov8 Roclite 345 GTX, a petzl tactika head torch (been meaning to pick one up for awhile now) and an Osprey Talon 22 backpack. Oh, and a book on knots and a water purification straw (no idea when I'll ever need to use this...) :D
I also bought a new coat for the pooch too, so she didn't feel left out.  ;D

Good choice on the Talon 22 - excellent pack for those day hikes.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1062 on: 17:05:46, 20/02/20 »
Osprey packs are great, both for quality and customer service. They are expensive, but they keep on repairing my backpack free of charge, while all defects are clearly caused by external conditions or normal wear and tear. They are truly amazing.

Magic girl

« Reply #1063 on: 20:05:10, 08/03/20 »
I've just bought a couple of icebreaker baselayer and another arcteryx atom lt hoody from sportpursuit,I've been after another atom lt for a while but I'm not willing to pay full price and always find some good bargains from them.

watershed

« Reply #1064 on: 21:16:35, 09/03/20 »
Just bought an Anker PowerCore Essential 20000 Portable Charger, from Amazon.

They won't deliver power banks to Shetland so had to send it to my son in Edinburgh and he will take it up with him in the Easter Holidays.

They also somehow tied me in with their prime delivery "Free Trial" that would cost me £7.99 a month thereafter. I have managed to cancel that!

Hopefully this will enable me to Wild camp and still have use of my phone for navigation and emergency contact for 5-6 days without  need of recharge. Phone will normally last 2 days without charge As I don't use it for anything but ViewRanger and emergency calls.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy