Author Topic: Music while walking  (Read 3061 times)

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
Re: Music while walking
« Reply #30 on: 21:17:54, 05/08/19 »
I cannot grasp the idea of going out with headphones on. I mean, I could not do it - I'd feel so exposed not knowing what was going on around me. Doesn't matter where, countryside or town, it would reduce my awareness so much I'd be so scared.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 21:22:00, 05/08/19 »
I'd be scared around town if I couldn't see but don't rely on hearing much, it's just an early warning system for things out of vision from a danger perspective and I've never been threatened in town by something out of vision except traffic which I turn my head to look for anyway. Can't recall one single time when hearing has saved me from danger in town but maybe I just don't remember.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 16:49:33, 11/08/19 »
Archaeoroutes I've discovered they make headphones for people like you (maybe). They're called open ear headphones, you can hear your surroundings as well as what you're listening to.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 17:10:35, 11/08/19 »
Or you could just listen with one ear.  If using earphones, just put one in, if using headphones put one behind your ear.  I used to do that at NATO conferences - listen to the speaker in their native language directly and catch up with the interpreter with the other ear if I failed to understand.
Solvitur Ambulando

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 18:22:45, 11/08/19 »
Yeah, I use open ear headphones on PRRs (though never heard the term before).
I still don't need to have music with me when I'm put and about.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 09:49:09, 12/08/19 »
Or you could just listen with one ear.  If using earphones, just put one in, if using headphones put one behind your ear.  I used to do that at NATO conferences - listen to the speaker in their native language directly and catch up with the interpreter with the other ear if I failed to understand.
I thought women claim that men can only do one task at a time, and they are the experts at multi-tasking. Are you trying to end the myth of sexual superiority?  ::)
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 10:43:26, 12/08/19 »
I thought women claim that men can only do one task at a time, and they are the experts at multi-tasking. Are you trying to end the myth of sexual superiority?  ::)
I wouldn’t dare.  I don’t have permission from OC Domestic Flight. 
I have always admired simultaneous interpreters though.  They can listen, translate and speak all at the same time.  Try repeating what someone has just said for an extended period in just one language, let alone translating it into another. German sentence and clause structure is fun though. Occasionally you get a long pause in translation and you can hear the interpreter muttering “the verb - get to the verb!”  We had one guy who had a string of jokes which he could entertain us with when there was a pause in proceedings.  It is was a very tiring process so interpreters would tag team and the voice over the headphone could change mid sentence without a break in translation.  As the French say: “Chapeau”
Solvitur Ambulando

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 15:15:42, 12/08/19 »
There's no such thing as multi-tasking, only doing two jobs badly.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 18:23:54, 12/08/19 »
I don’t know about that, but I have worked with people that you could stop wandering off by giving them chewing gum.
Solvitur Ambulando

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 19:20:01, 12/08/19 »
It's a quote, but I can't remember who from. It was a TV star/character.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 19:36:48, 12/08/19 »
It's a quote, but I can't remember who from. It was a TV star/character.
Pete Brockman, Outmumbered
Too little, too late, too bad......

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 22:29:18, 12/08/19 »
Thank you! Great programme.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy